BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Guess who made Yahoo's top 6 Ugly Cars???

04-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #133
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Has anyone done a high-level poll to determine of the 1-series haters, how many are 3-series owners vs. everyone else? Just curious as to whether there is a noteable amount of bias in either direction.

My initial real-life observations:

When I was at the dealer last week to first test drive the 1 series, guess which car had the most amount of customers admiring it? The 1-series

Guess which car 2 of the salesmen had on order: The 1-series

Guess which car all my co-workers prefer (based on looks) after seeing my 135 parked next to my boss' 335xi? My 135... also, I work for a CPA firm where many of my co-workers tend to be more conservative in their style preferences.

Do any of these observations mean one is better or prettier than the other? Of course not.

I'm just trying to point out that while some may find the 1-series to be ugly, I have found in my short-lived experience with the car thus far that people are not reacting in the "OMG that car is so fugly" manner that I keep reading.

I love both the 1 and 3 series but to me, other than the M3, the 1-series is the best looking in the new BMW line-up. Of course, the shoe-box is also one of my favorites!

you hit the nail on the head imho

I would say of the 1 series style haters and haters in general, especially in this thread, 7 out of 10 are e92 owners and 90% of those are e92 N54 owners hating on the 1, make you think to yourself: hmmmmm

I do myself think the 3 coupe is gorgeous, and better looking than the one over all but the 1 is by no means up there with the likes of the PT cruiser, the scion xB, the toyota prius, the lexus es and especially no where near the champion of all fugly cars ever: the pontiac aztec
      04-24-2009, 03:12 AM   #134
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
yahoo is such a hater. how much you want to bet a lot of workers at yahoo drive a(n) 1er. haha
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #135
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
you hit the nail on the head imho

I would say of the 1 series style haters and haters in general, especially in this thread, 7 out of 10 are e92 owners and 90% of those are e92 N54 owners hating on the 1, make you think to yourself: hmmmmm

I do myself think the 3 coupe is gorgeous, and better looking than the one over all but the 1 is by no means up there with the likes of the PT cruiser, the scion xB, the toyota prius, the lexus es and especially no where near the champion of all fugly cars ever: the pontiac aztec
Where did you get those numbers from? Out of your ass?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 02:17 AM   #136
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

The 1 would look so much better with JUST the dual mufflers like the 335 brothers..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 04:06 AM   #137
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Suprise surprise.....the BMW fanboys disagree with Yahoo's review of how ugly the 1 series is..

Yes, the front end of the 1 series IS in fact ugly. I like the rear, though. I also enjoyed the funhouse mirror analogy.
Nothing can "in fact" be ugly. (Trying so hard not to make a "your mom" joke right here)

~ Jeremy
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 04:54 AM   #138
Jai2008
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Personally, I don't think the 1 is ugly but then again, didn't buy it for the looks. Was shopping for a non domestic performance ~50k CDN car. Decided on a FI car and the list grew even shorter. Sti, Evo, 135i, wouldn't call any of those a "beautiful" car. Would of bought the 335 which is a better looker imo, if they didn't have the 135i. Two cars, same engine, one is lighter, easy choice for me. What worst is, 335 in Toronto, is like a European "Civic". Yes, there are that many on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #139
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai2008 View Post
Personally, I don't think the 1 is ugly but then again, didn't buy it for the looks. Was shopping for a non domestic performance ~50k CDN car. Decided on a FI car and the list grew even shorter. Sti, Evo, 135i, wouldn't call any of those a "beautiful" car. Would of bought the 335 which is a better looker imo, if they didn't have the 135i. Two cars, same engine, one is lighter, easy choice for me. What worst is, 335 in Toronto, is like a European "Civic". Yes, there are that many on the streets.
I was exactly in the same position G37, 135, 335 , STI, EVO the 135 10K cheaper than the 335(so it helps). I still think that my cars ugly but I paid than grand less and I got brembo brakes and a more nimble car. I had the $ to buy the 335I but it wasnt worth it since I dont keep my cars for a long time and too many 335s around. I was dead set to buy a 335 before the 1er came out btw life made it different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #140
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

in my opinion, when i first saw the 1 series, it does look like a shrinken version of the 3 series and i kinda hesitated to want to purchase the car. However, once you drive the car and see how fun it is in comparison to how the 3 drives, i kind of knew my decision. The fact that there are so many 3's in my area and the fact that its the same price as the sedan 3 series i knew i wanted the 1 series. Its a matter of driving for fun vs driving to show off the logo and i choose to drive for fun. But really i wouldnt say based on the look that the 1 is ugly, its just like a mini cooper, its not that pleasant looking but its fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #141
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

The only car that I've owned previously that would be considered "handsome" was the G35 Coupe. However, the 1er is the only car that I want to drive just for the sake of driving. The 135's roof line is abrupt, the rear end reminds me of an asian woman, the rear end... just ends. However, I still get plenty of thumbs up and rubberneckers when they see my 1er, even in NYC. People always hate change when it comes to new cars, but eventually it WILL grow on them!