BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 driving assistance plus package

05-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f80

F90 driving assistance plus package

Hi. I recently got a f90 m5 but the car is not include the bmw called driving assist plus pack ( Acc stop , active lane keeping, side collision...) I think this such features is important to me. Is there any possibility that I can got this installed from the dealership?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Omar0022
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw110 View Post
Hi. I recently got a f90 m5 but the car is not include the bmw called driving assist plus pack ( Acc stop , active lane keeping, side collision...) I think this such features is important to me. Is there any possibility that I can got this installed from the dealership?
Anything is possible for the right amount but might not be worth it. From what I can tell you're going to require the radar upfront and cameras by the rearview mirror along with steering wheel buttons for each of the settings and idrive update. Going to be very costly.

Honestly you're not missing much. I find that the system is more intrusive than helpful but I've not had a moment yet where it has saved my a$$ so Maybe my opinion will change at that point.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Radar Cruise control is EXCELLENT. LOVE IT.

I first sampled it when driving my dad's 2012 A8L, it's very handy.

My wife's Sienna has it and it works great in that also.

One caveat. The Sienna will trail closer to the car in front than the M5 does. I find the distance to far on the M5, as people cut you off too often. With the Sienna this does not happen. I guess Toyota trusts their auto breaking more than BMW does?

Land departure warning is very useful and the Lane auto hold is pretty good, but not perfect, it looses sight of the lines too often despite the fact that I can see them fine. It will follow the wrong line now and then, and try to take an off ramp.

The lane warning in the BMW is a vibration in the steering wheel , so it does not bother my passengers.

In the Sienna is a BEEP BEEP coming from the speaker on the side you are getting too close too. Same with blinds spot warning, that makes sense to be a beep beep, but not for the lane thing.

Blind Spot warning is very good.

The Radar Cruise works differently below 35 mph, it actually follows the car in front of you, and that works amazingly well. Car can come to complete stop and start up again.

Auto stop on backing up is Meh, if it thinks something is there, it hits the brakes and it will shock you! I was backing into a parking spot at night and the thing stopped short on me, I was 6 feet from the curb and nothing was there, I turned that feature OFF.

Auto park, never tried it.....some have with mixed results. I know how to park thank you very much.

If you car does not have it, it would not be worth the price of adding it aftermarket.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post

I first sampled it when driving my dad's 2012 A8L, it's very handy.

My wife's Sienna has it and it works great in that also.

One caveat. The Sienna will trail closer to the car in front than the M5 does. I find the distance to far on the M5, as people cut you off too often. With the Sienna this does not happen. I guess Toyota trusts their auto breaking more than BMW does?

Land departure warning is very useful and the Lane auto hold is pretty good, but not perfect, it looses sight of the lines too often despite the fact that I can see them fine. It will follow the wrong line now and then, and try to take an off ramp.

The lane warning in the BMW is a vibration in the steering wheel , so it does not bother my passengers.

In the Sienna is a BEEP BEEP coming from the speaker on the side you are getting too close too. Same with blinds spot warning, that makes sense to be a beep beep, but not for the lane thing.

Blind Spot warning is very good.

The Radar Cruise works differently below 35 mph, it actually follows the car in front of you, and that works amazingly well. Car can come to complete stop and start up again.

Auto stop on backing up is Meh, if it thinks something is there, it hits the brakes and it will shock you! I was backing into a parking spot at night and the thing stopped short on me, I was 6 feet from the curb and nothing was there, I turned that feature OFF.

Auto park, never tried it.....some have with mixed results. I know how to park thank you very much.

If you car does not have it, it would not be worth the price of adding it aftermarket.

Mike

good to know that!! thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
mkw110
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar0022 View Post
Anything is possible for the right amount but might not be worth it. From what I can tell you're going to require the radar upfront and cameras by the rearview mirror along with steering wheel buttons for each of the settings and idrive update. Going to be very costly.

Honestly you're not missing much. I find that the system is more intrusive than helpful but I've not had a moment yet where it has saved my a$$ so Maybe my opinion will change at that point.

got you !! thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

It would probably be easier and more economical to turn in the car and get a new one with the assist pkg. adding the feature aftermarket will be highly difficult and impractical.
Appreciate 1
Aronis2267.00
      05-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
carpoor4345
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I was confused about this stuff when I bought my 2020 maybe because I’m dense. Anyway in case it helps anyone else to clarify what’s standard and what’s in this option I copied below. Off topic I know but related.

Standard Equipment is Active Driving Assistant which includes Blind Spot Detection, Lane Departure Warning, Frontal Collision Warning, Pedestrian Warning with Braking, City Collision Mitigation with braking and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

The $1700 Driving Assistance Plus option (aka Active Driving Assistant Plus) includes Active Cruise Control w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/side collision avoidance, Traffic Jam Assistant, Evasion Aid, & Cross-traffic alert front, in addition to the contents of Active Driving Assistant.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

It would probably cost several multiples more than $1700 to add the assist pkg to a car aftermarket.

Just get a new car. Seriously. 😉
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 05:23 AM   #9
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:

I find the distance to far on the M5, as people cut you off too often. With the Sienna this does not happen. I guess Toyota trusts their auto breaking more than BMW does?

Mike

Would not call it excellent for me. Following distance is set way too far on the M5. Even at closest setting, cars cut in front of you, then M5 brakes hard to reset distance so even more can cut in front of you. Just plain frickin dumb. Don't recommend this option and only use on empty highways. Regular cruise control would be better imo but there's no way to disable it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #10
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Following distance is set way too far on the M5. Even at closest setting, cars cut in front of you,.
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WROTE (But for the typo on "To" vs "Too") LMAO!!!

I wish it could be set a bit closer......

Mike

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #11
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Following distance is set way too far on the M5. Even at closest setting, cars cut in front of you,.
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WROTE (But for the typo on "To" vs "Too") LMAO!!!

I wish it could be set a bit closer......

Mike
Maybe you should drive the Toyota more then.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #12
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Maybe you should drive the Toyota more then.
You are a very bad man, Jerry.....

Mike

Appreciate 0