BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Large metal chunks in oil pan

04-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
Jpappy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 comp

Large metal chunks in oil pan

Wondering if anyone has seen this before...
2019 M5 Comp, 5,500 miles. Awesome car! In fact the best M5 since the E39. Until now...

The car is running great. I take it in for the transmission wiring harness recall. I mention a new sound to the advisor. A low RPM whine. The sound changes pitch with increased RPM. I get a call later that day advising that they pulled the oil pan (after the oil change) and found metal shavings! I was told to expect an engine change.

Yesterday I was advised that they were going to replace the oil pump. That’s it! Fixed! They don’t know where the metal is coming from.

Need I say that this is not a great solution. Metal bits circulating through the engine is definitely a concern. I feel that at least a complete rebuild is in order.

So what do you all think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Did they tear open the oil filter? No way I would accept just a new oil pump since there is no way to know if metal made its way into the cylinders and scored the sidewalls.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

nothing you can do. just be glad you aren't tuned.

let them fix it, if it blows, take it right back.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
Jpappy
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Did they tear open the oil filter? No way I would accept just a new oil pump since there is no way to know if metal made its way into the cylinders and scored the sidewalls.
I was due an oil change. The dealership changed the oil and filter before diagnosis of the sound. The chunks in the pan did not drain out with the oil. The old filter was thrown away and was not inspected. The new filter has some small bits in it. That is fresh oil in the pan.

This morning the dealership initially told me this was normal wear! I sent the photo to my service advisor and he quickly agreed this was not normal. The issue has been elevated to engineering. I’m expecting a phone call in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Jpappy
Registered
Rep

Well the official word from BMW is that engineering thinks that the metal is left over from manufacturing. This is a possible I suppose. I had considered this as the engine is running very well.
Two weeks to ship the oil pump from Germany and I’ll be back on the road. The dealership has agreed to change the oil and have the filter inspected by me, after about 2,000 miles.
To be continued...
Appreciate 0