BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    BMW 1 Series Sedan Revealed

09-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #133
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Yes I am in NA, where historically BMW has been positioned as a luxury car maker with driving dynamics... With the price premium over competing brands, this was what people expected. I guess with fwd based X1's, a universal architecture for most cars and fwd BMW sedans, I assume this is long gone... Seeing as how we are your biggest enthusiast market as nearly all M cars are built with this market in mind, I would mention a word or two to the big wigs before you guys become another GM or VW and completely ruin your image...
In Europe and other global markets. BMW are defined as Premium but therefore we do supply a lot of fleet models. In Europe and in fact our global market we are defined by Freude am Fahren meaning Sheer Driving Pleasure. The Ultimate Driving Machine is only used in English speaking markets it is not seen as the corporate label for the company.

The 1er Sedan is a model developed entirely for our biggest market China.
It is aimed at the younger demographic who want a BMW but cannot afford new.
I should point out that China has very high pre-owned sales in regards to customers wanting a BMW any means possible. But also a high market for fake BMWs ie a domestic or import using a BMW badge or kidney grille.
So much so that the 1er is developed especially for our Chinese customers and especially for a prosperous segment that continues to show growth in amongst general decline.

The 1er Sedan is initially offered in three lines therefore accommodating all tastes. A 125xe iPerformance model will also be offered as well as an M Performance M35i xDrive model seen testing hyere.
So naturally BMW are very excited about the 1er sedan because it has potential in not only its largest market but also globally the largest car market and it is the first premium product of its kind designed and developed for a single market that is not offered in other markets.
Although Watch this space....
Attached Images

09-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #134
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
If this is the same segment, then not sure how you can have a car that can cost double on options alone... this is why it was always marketed as a luxury car and needs to remain that way.
You make the qualification based on price alone and not based on what luxury accually stands for. So the smart marketing has worked with you. These options you speak of are standard on vehicles from the luxury segment in addition to those you can not get on the 3-series. Is simple rule of supply and demand. There are customers like yourself willing to pay double for the badge, regardless whether is worth it or not, so BMW is making the car but that does not make the 3-series a luxury vehicle. If 3-series was luxury segment then the 316i, 318i, 320i and etc wound not have been offered at all. The above mention Optima is Kia, which together with Hyundai are trying to enter the luxury segment thus introdusing separate brands. They sertainly did not loaded the Optima with features and tried to sell it at double the prize. So please understand what luxury is.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #135
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
A 125xe iPerformance model will also be offered as well as an M Performance M35i xDrive model seen testing here.

Watch this space....
I am intrigued by these upcoming M35i UKL vehicles - both the SAVs and the passenger cars like this M135i you mention here. Not necessarily on my radar, but I'm curious nevertheless. No reason BMW can't compete with the S3 from an overall performance perspective. Theoretically, there should be a CLA there too, but for some reason Mercedes thinks people want either ~200hp or ~400hp, but nothing in between.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #136
thewubwub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: like a slowpoke

Hmm... Dunno what to feel

Looks like any other econobox with a BMW badge
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #137
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

It feels like the global trend of BMW. An overall softening of the motoring heritage to suit the general population preferences like light steering, soft compliant ride, and cabin technology.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #138
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

introducing the all new BMW Dart!

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:34 AM   #139
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
wow the concept was better, look at this taillights!