BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    Is it dealership scam or what?

06-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
PM48
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

Is it dealership scam or what?

Hello to everyone! Looking for help with my 325i and I got it new in 2006. It has 39k. Still love it but:
Got a warning light about passenger side air bag malfunction. Thank you to the forum found out that there is a recall for the wire to the seat. Took it to the dealership and it was fixed no charge even though it is past warranty. The mechanic told me though that there were a bunch of other warning codes and one was that my water pump needs to be replaced and they can do it for $1200.
I started to educate myself regarding the water pump issue and everyone who had it has a warning lights on the dash before it goes bad and majority of WP failures happens after 60k or so .
Here is the problem that I have with what mechanic told me: I never had any type of warning lights even like: “service engine soon” before ” passenger side air bag malfunction” went on. The car drives just fine and no warning lights of any kind since I took it back from the dealership. So, what is going on with my car? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

No, the WP fails silently first. If it started having shadow codes, it is a time bomb at this point. It will fail soon, and leave you stranded on the side of the road. When you get the dashboard message, it is to inform you that the car is -currently- overheating and you have to stop immediately or risk major engine damage. Just have it fixed.

The quote is typical from a dealer. That work can be done for ~700/800 at an intependent shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
PM48
Rep

Thanks! I am handy, so I will do it myself. I already ordered new WP + T-stat. Should I get an OBD2 scanner to read the error codes?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM48 View Post
Thanks! I am handy, so I will do it myself. I already ordered new WP + T-stat. Should I get an OBD2 scanner to read the error codes?
If you plan on doing your own work it would be critical to have a cable that allows you to pull the codes you get now and in the future.
      06-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
If you plan on doing your own work it would be critical to have a cable that allows you to pull the codes you get now and in the future.
You can also install INPA on a computer. It is more work but you get more control and access to hidden diagnostics.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
You can also install INPA on a computer. It is more work but you get more control and access to hidden diagnostics.
Still need a cable. Computer cant magically connect.

Up to end user to determine what cable to get based on what level of control he wants.
      06-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
PM48
Rep

I assume that INPA is a software, getting a cable is not a problem. Is it a free ware or I have to buy it?
I also was wandering one thing. My cooler level got very low when I checked it several months ago. Could that trigger the error code like WP?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
roadkill12r
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M Sport

Save yourself some money. Get one of the Bluetooth obdII readers and use an app. On your phone. I did for both my BMW cars. About 35 bucks from Amazon. Works great. It does much more than give codes. I used TORQUE OBD CHECK APP.

Ron
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill12r View Post
Save yourself some money. Get one of the Bluetooth obdII readers and use an app. On your phone. I did for both my BMW cars. About 35 bucks from Amazon. Works great. It does much more than give codes. I used TORQUE OBD CHECK APP.

Ron
Yeah, actually I can expand on that. I used Torque in the past, works well. I just ordered BMWhat and their BT adapter to use on my tablet. Still waiting for it to come in.

PM user darkrom for his experiences with BMWhat.

Just another option for you.
      06-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
JR956678
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I just ordered BMWhat and their BT adapter to use on my tablet. Still waiting for it to come in.
I have BMWhat and have used it on my 2006 325xi. I was able to correctly diagnose that it was a cylinder 1 misfire (bad coil) when my car started running on 5 cylinders; that helped the dealer as he checked coil inventory before I brought the car in to be fixed. I did not buy the ODBII reader from BMWhat but rather bought a Wifi reader with an ELM327 chip and that chip is the key to compatibility with many software packages.

I can substantiate from first person experience everything that's been said about a WP failure. You WILL overheat and be stranded on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed to take your car to someone who can repair it. The experience ruined an otherwise nice visit to my son.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

OP, what is not made clear here is there is a difference between OBDII codes and Manufacturer (BMW) trouble codes. Only the BMW codes will show indication of a failing water pump; there are no OBDII codes for a failing water pump. BMW codes are only readable by a BMW scan tool, of which various types are discussed here. If you plan on DIYing your car, get a BMW scan tool. When dealing with failed electrical components, generally one of the first steps is to clear the trouble code before exchanging the component.

Now the dealer could have been BSing you, but who knows. 39K seems a bit early for a WP to go, but maybe age is also playing a part here in the failure.

Oh, and drive your car more! 39K in 8 years is a bit on the low side, don't you think?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #12
PM48
Rep

OK guys, thank you for your input. The car still runs just fine and no warning of any kind on the dash. I opted for a cable and upon it’s arrival will try to mess up with INPA a bit before I do any DIYs.
Hopefully I will figure that program out. I am not to modify or reprogram the car, just want to know what is going on with it.
After hearing to what some of you said (if that is true) I am getting disappointed in BMW as a brand, and before you get defensive let me explain: At approximately 7k the thermostat went bad and I got a warning light “service engine soon” it was replaced under warranty. At 1K I did not tightened gas cap hard enough and I got warning light “service engine soon”, so now I am told by mechanic and one of you about “shadow codes” and a "time bomb". So, when something major like WP is failing and there is no any kind of warning for the driver even though the car gets the message……. Sorry, I do not get it. I get the message for the gas cap and not for WP……... Those IT guys at the BMW headquarters must be smoking wrong weed.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
PM48
Rep

UPDATE. Now, at 58k pump continued to work fine despite the fact that I was getting error codes all the time:
2E84,4,Electric coolant pump, communication
2E81,1,Electrical coolant pump, speed deviation.
I decided to replace pump and thermostat ($450) any way. I did it on 8” ramp. It took me about 3h and it was fairly easy to do. I am very thankful for this diy:
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill12r View Post

Ron
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I have the Torque app on my phone. It's brilliant!
Appreciate 0