BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Please Help -- M5 Comp Question

02-11-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
aazerusc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 550i

Please Help -- M5 Comp Question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys,
I have a dilemma-- got this 2018 M5 "comp" in the summer from A SoCal MERCEDES dealer. Found out it wasn't comp now battling out with them w one of the best legal centers----HOWEVER -- they are DRAGGING it out and Now my attorney is saying -- Maybe it is a COMP or has MOST Comp Components??? Intro Model? Upfit from Germany? He has asked me to list everything it is missing

So I have posted as many pics here as possible, and he is ASKING me to IDENTIFY Exactly what is NOT COMP About it to try and settle. Do not get me wrong -- the car is amazing w M performance exhaust (i think) and ALL SORTS OF CARBON FIBER UPGRADES. Please see pics and let me know what you think. And also -- if there is a BMW expert that would be willing to help by chance? Last question -- on the window sticker or Vin reports would it have to say comp on there? Yes i know "Comp didnt start til 2019" but a) I have to be 1000% sure about that and b) i need to Identify what it is missing exactly.

Let me know if you want underneath pics of the car and Thank you guys!

No comp wording on Dash at startup
No Comp Seatbelts
but WHAT ELSE exactly.
Included pic of VIN
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #2
DryBark
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5 / X5

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [10.00]
Aside from branding and exhaust, the suspension sits lower (7-10mm?), suspension is stiffer (10%), suspension uses different linkage, 17hp difference (not sure if boost or exhaust or both are at okay here), engine mounts are stiffer (10%?), and black trim. Not sure if I'm missing anything?
Appreciate 1
ASG9946.00
      02-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #3
Camarejh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

Rear bumper insert is supposed to be gloss black. Not the diffuser which you have is carbon fiber but the piece above the exhaust tips is black on a comp. yours doesnt have that. The mirror caps are glass black.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 03:54 PM   #4
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Doesn't have Competition alloys.
Doesn't have Competition door handles.
Rear apron on Competition is gloss black, not body coloured.
Striped seat belts were available as an optional extra on 2018 base models but are 100% standard on Competition models.

For full differences between base and comp see here:

It's not a Competition. It's a base model with some M Performance bits on (black kidney grills, side vents, carbon rear difusser are all available as dealer-fit or self-fit items).
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      02-11-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
OttoM5
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Yes, the door handles are the clear giveaway to me
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:36 PM   #6
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

Just look at the build sheet and see if it says it is a competition model with that option.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #7
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

It's 110 percent not a Comp. You should name the dealer who defrauded you and then email them the link to this thread so they can see what asshats they look like. Hope they have a good attorney.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:46 PM   #8
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Not a comp

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 04:18 AM   #9
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
It's 110 percent not a Comp. You should name the dealer who defrauded you and then email them the link to this thread so they can see what asshats they look like. Hope they have a good attorney.
I doubt he's gonna win honestly, dealership is gonna claim honest mistake, maybe take 5k off the price to make him go away and that's that. It's a mercedes dealer, they're not supposed to know bmws, he bought the car and didn't know what he was buying? That's consumer error at its finest lol. It's like someone posting up an m5 and calling it an m6 are you gonna sue because you thought you bought an m6? Nope it's your dumass that didn't know the difference. Sorry to say, but you live you learn should've done your research.
Like he said he included a pic of the vin all he posted was the emissions sticker... if by chance he doesn't even know what the vin is on a car then sadly he got what he deserved... takes 15 seconds to plug a vin in a decoder and get all your options on the car which would've said its not a comp and if he "knows it's not a comp since it's not a 2019" then why buy it lol
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2022, 07:46 AM   #10
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Not a comp
Quote:
^^^ This and this ^^^

Aside from what I will list for you I have noticed something which screams red flag to me.
Under the camera on the front bumper, the plastic for the bumper is not flush with the black part the camera is mounted in.

Why does this matter you ask me?

Well it matters because I have had a light front ender in one of my F90's and to cut a long story short a "cheap" repair resulted in the same thing on my bumper.
It should be positioned dead flush with the black part.
It would be worth getting a professional to check if it has been previously repaired.

OK, so, granted my cars have been EU spec and yours is yank spec so there may be some regional differences, but.........

As someone that has had multiple models of F90's both comp, non comp, LCI and Pre LCI, I can tell you the following just from a brief glance at what the photos show me:

*Lower section of rear bumper is colour coded. Mine have all been black out of the factory (Both comp and non comp)
*Weird chrome trim on the door handles, mine have all been body colour.
*The wheels are not 789M wheels. All my comp cars have had these wheels.
*Kick plates do not say Competition Pack, all of my CP's have.
*Your car looks like it is sitting way too high, CP's have lower suspension

As mentioned by DryBark there is a power difference between the two cars as well and different suspension and stiffer engine mounts.

Have you tried using a vin decoder to tell you the full spec?

Why don't you just take it to a BMW dealer and get them to plug it in and confirm what it is (or isn't?)

Last edited by F30Andy; 02-12-2022 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #11
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

rear windows should also be slightly tinted versus non-comp no tint
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 09:17 AM   #12
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpaper View Post
rear windows should also be slightly tinted versus non-comp no tint
Rear tint available on base as an option (privacy glass)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #13
aazerusc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
I doubt he's gonna win honestly, dealership is gonna claim honest mistake, maybe take 5k off the price to make him go away and that's that. It's a mercedes dealer, they're not supposed to know bmws, he bought the car and didn't know what he was buying? That's consumer error at its finest lol. It's like someone posting up an m5 and calling it an m6 are you gonna sue because you thought you bought an m6? Nope it's your dumass that didn't know the difference. Sorry to say, but you live you learn should've done your research.
Like he said he included a pic of the vin all he posted was the emissions sticker... if by chance he doesn't even know what the vin is on a car then sadly he got what he deserved... takes 15 seconds to plug a vin in a decoder and get all your options on the car which would've said its not a comp and if he "knows it's not a comp since it's not a 2019" then why buy it lol

So you are saying its OK they advertise it as a Comp and say its a comp?
“As long as the consumer never finds out”
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 01:59 PM   #14
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aazerusc View Post
So you are saying its OK they advertise it as a Comp and say its a comp?
“As long as the consumer never finds out”
No, what I'm saying is it's your responsibility to confirm what you're buying, no one forced the car down your throat you bought the car yourself. If you had any doubts why not raise them before you bought them? Sounds like you were just looking for a reason to sue at this point. People list cars with the wrong trim level all the time, there is nothing on that car that gave any indication it was a Comp and yet you bought it, YOU made a conscious decision to buy the car knowing it wasn't a Comp just because someone told you it was, typical sheep mentality lol. What's that saying... don't trust everything you see on the internet? Just admit you screwed up and move on, even your lawyer realizes this is pretty much a lost cause but doesn't want to tell you because you're paying him.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #15
bimmerbeast9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f90 m5c

Quote:

I agree with this - OP will lose, and he should just eat what he wants in return for his mistake just as a lesson to research things that he buys, especially vehicles/things that are in this price bracket. The Mercedes dealer probably did think it was a comp because of the black grill someone put in it.. so the previous owner is really at fault.. honest mistake

On a used car what kind of market difference u think is going to be on the car?

Getting legal over it is just silly, Especially when you say you love the car..

Just don't be telling anybody it's a competition anymore lol
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:01 PM   #16
aazerusc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is it's your responsibility to confirm what you're buying, no one forced the car down your throat you bought the car yourself. If you had any doubts why not raise them before you bought them? Sounds like you were just looking for a reason to sue at this point. People list cars with the wrong trim level all the time, there is nothing on that car that gave any indication it was a Comp and yet you bought it, YOU made a conscious decision to buy the car knowing it wasn't a Comp just because someone told you it was, typical sheep mentality lol. What's that saying... don't trust everything you see on the internet? Just admit you screwed up and move on, even your lawyer realizes this is pretty much a lost cause but doesn't want to tell you because you're paying him.
Lawyer does not get a dime unless we win. At that point he gets 10 or 15%.

The M competition badging and exhaust and black kidney grills among other things made me think it was a competition package and yes I guess it is my fault for trusting the dealers word of mouth and advertising. I tried to reverse it within one week of purchasing it when I found out it is not a competition on this message board. Was not just looking for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #17
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:

The M competition badging and exhaust and black kidney grills among other things made me think it was a competition package and yes I guess it is my fault for trusting the dealers word of mouth and advertising. I tried to reverse it within one week of purchasing it when I found out it is not a competition on this message board. Was not just looking for a reason.
If it has the Comp Badges on it, then MB probably gave the guy who traded it in more $$ for the car. I bet they are trying to go after him/her as well to recoup the money and then maybe give you the difference.

But as others have said, its a 2018. The Comp's didnt come until 2019, that's a huge red flag to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #18
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
i just had a post also about Competition models from used car dealers, i don't really believe it's an honest mistake - they're car dealers that lie mostly.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #19
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

I guess what is your best case scenario to get out do this? It's well established it's not a comp. However, some of what would be one comp have been changed or upgraded on this car (the carbon fiber bits). There's things you can't change really they have been pointed out above. The comp package currently costs $7600. What's the value of that package on 5 year old car now where apparently according to someone above it wasn't even an option in 2018. So it's used/depreciated but had some upgraded bits. What would the difference be worth now with the other upgraded bits on the car? $1000? 2000? Or are you simply not satisfied you didn't get what you were sold. In that case I'd try and get my money back and return the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2022, 04:47 PM   #20
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Quote:
Pretty sure honest mistake isn't a legal defense. They knew damn well what the car was…..they advertised it as a completely different model than it was.

I would sue for them to take the car back (assuming you no longer want it). That is, if you no longer want the car.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 04:50 PM   #21
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i, 2022 BMW 540i

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Pretty sure honest mistake isn't a legal defense. They knew damn well what the car was…..they advertised it as a completely different model than it was.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 05:43 PM   #22
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

What badging? There is NO competition badge ANYWHERE on that car that I see.
Appreciate 0