BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    concerned about LCI resale in two years

05-17-2023, 10:08 PM   #1
SQ5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10 Gen 2, Tesla Plaid

concerned about LCI resale in two years

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2023 Comp with just under 10k miles.

I'm concerned about resale for the LCI once the new 5 series is released in a few months.

I can see a 2023 comp with 15k miles be worth about 90k in a year and 75k the next or less.

Mainly because of the old interior and exterior. If it already looks old than what will it look like in two years. I'm trying not to be down on the car because I truly love the drive and comfort but I'm concerned.

What are you thoughts about resale for the LCI in the next few years?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 01:12 AM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ5 View Post
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2023 Comp with just under 10k miles.

I'm concerned about resale for the LCI once the new 5 series is released in a few months.

I can see a 2023 comp with 15k miles be worth about 90k in a year and 75k the next or less.

Mainly because of the old interior and exterior. If it already looks old than what will it look like in two years. I'm trying not to be down on the car because I truly love the drive and comfort but I'm concerned.

What are you thoughts about resale for the LCI in the next few years?
You haven’t told us the price, and I’m not necessarily asking what it is, but the first buyer probably ate a lot of the initial depreciation for you, especially if you can strike a good deal. With that being said, depreciation comes with the territory here. None of us can exactly predict what will happen in two years. Will the normal depreciation curve hold? Or will it be less since this is the last pure ICE M5? Rhetorical questions of course.

Do you want this now because you want it now? If you want it, I say go for it, and enjoy the next couple of years without constantly worrying about the car’s value. I’m all for fiscal responsibility, but if this is going to keep you up at night, it’s not the car for you. The smiles the car brings are worth it to most of us, if not all of us. And I don’t think too many would say it looks old now, but of course that is subjective to you, and your opinion is the only one that matters. If you truly loved the drive and comfort, then that might outweigh some of the depreciation. I’d argue that the F90 LCI is one of the most beautiful modern BMWs and won’t look dated for some time, even with the release of the G90. The renders we’ve seen thus far don’t indicate such an extreme shift that it would cause the current generation to look immediately dated. If you want it because who knows what the G90 will be like with its hybrid set up, then I say definitely go for it and worry about it in two years when that time comes.
      05-18-2023, 03:49 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I guess in general , an old model will drop somewhat as soon as the new model comes out on the assumption that the new model is received well of course

With high inflation around at the moment , that may reduce depreciation to a small extent , no doubt the new m5 will be quite a bit more expensive .

Depreciation is obviously the big cost but if you like the car and can afford it , then go for it

There is a chance you may not like the new model, depends upon your views on things like idrive 8.5
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 09:39 PM   #4
jm490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' F90 M5c

23 with 10k miles- seems like a lot depending on when it was delivered, Depending on what the msrp was this car should probably be 25k under it. If it is, the first owner ate the majority of the depreciation and you’ll likely come out even at the end when you go to trade it in or sell it.

That being said; Who the hell actually know yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 06:58 AM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Maybe a fully depreciated older car is best for the OP. Sometimes you can drive one of those for a couple of years and then sell it for close to what you paid.

I am not sure the alternative the OP seems to be considering is any better than buying the 23 he has looking at. Wait 2 years, buy the new model and suffer significant new car depreciation over the first 3 years.

Just buy what you like and what makes you feel comfortable and enjoy it. In the last 15 years, I have bought 3 CPO BMW, 1 new BMW and 1 new Porsche, and like the 2-3 year old CPO from a value perspective. But my needs and concerns may differ from those of other people. I don’t covet the new models or feel anxious about owning a car out of warranty (I maintain/repair the cars myself), and usually keep cars for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:41 PM   #6
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I see the F90, pre LCI or LCI out performing the experts, only because as stated above, it will be the last fully ICE M5 ever made. Does this mean, it will stay around 80K+, I do not know, but I do believe long term, this car will get back to MSRP costs, due to the changing times of electrification. Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 06:05 PM   #7
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

also , number of cars produced for this platform might be lower than previous generation because of covid roughly 2 years production issues
so , less cars circulating around , mean higher used prices
but in general these cars depreciate a lot
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:58 AM   #8
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
I see prices are going down, saw some 2021’s with 20k miles bit under 90k.

I am in the market price target 70’s, by end of the year I should be able to find one.
Appreciate 0