BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

03-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #5479
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

Driving down a 2+ lane highway marked with a 65 MPH speed limit and no traffic present (all lanes are clear), is there a speed below which you will ticket the driver?

I find it odd that some people drive along at 50 MPH in the right lane - they are probably just afraid or not confident in their driving ability.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 05:17 PM   #5480
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
Driving down a 2+ lane highway marked with a 65 MPH speed limit and no traffic present (all lanes are clear), is there a speed below which you will ticket the driver?

I find it odd that some people drive along at 50 MPH in the right lane - they are probably just afraid or not confident in their driving ability.
Yes, you can be cited for driving too slowly (…using the catch-all violation 22350 CVC). The officer would just need to articulate why driving under the prima facie limit is causing a hazard. A person driving slowly while no other cars are on the road or in really light traffic wouldn't present a hazard.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #5481
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
…meanwhile in Los Angeles, California.
That's what the speed limit is in front of our schools during school hours here.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-07-2022, 11:06 PM   #5482
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Yes, you can be cited for driving too slowly (…using the catch-all violation 22350 CVC). The officer would just need to articulate why driving under the prima facie limit is causing a hazard. A person driving slowly while no other cars are on the road or in really light traffic wouldn't present a hazard.
Had a co-worker pulled over on Imperial Hwy by the airport for driving his 'vette too slowly! He was a sight to see putting on his driving gloves very carefully and then pretty much coasting down the road.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-08-2022, 01:58 AM   #5483
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
…meanwhile in Los Angeles, California.
What's the area exactly so I know to avoid it like the plague?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #5484
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Definitely don't come to the UK. Plenty 20 limits over here!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #5485
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Bless this Officer.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-o...-dashcam-video
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2022, 03:39 PM   #5486
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
The bravery and selflessness you can't teach. It has to be innate.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane70879.00
      03-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #5487
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

On a lighter note.

Name:  Glow.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  50.2 KB
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25116.50
upstatedoc7563.50
Buug95917426.00
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
      03-08-2022, 09:07 PM   #5488
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
I hope she recovers 100%. And I know I'm not always a good person but I also hope the drunk driver learns some hard lessons in prison.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 08:10 PM   #5489
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i, 2022 BMW 540i

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
And as long as I put my hazard lights on, I can park any-freaking-where I decide is convenient, right? Middle of the street, handicapped, fire hydrant, red lines of the no parking zone. . .
Pretty much every Uber driver seems to do this now. Recent example: across from a large supermarket by UCLA, at least 10 cars lined up in the median/turn lane with their flashers on, nobody in the car, blocking traffic, not a cop or parking enforcement in sight (yet, I'll get a parking ticket + no front plate ticket within 30 seconds after my meter expires (in both Los Angeles city and Beverly Hills city). Go figure…
I feel like you are talking about the Whole Foods on Gayley. And yes, don't forget about the tickets that city of West Hollywood gives when you are parked at the hill and god forbid your tires are not turned left enough on a uphill and right enough on a downhill.

At least LA and BH have the courtesy of waiting for your meter to expire, in West Hollywood by the time you walk out of your car pay for it and go sit at the restaurant the front license plate ticket is already on your windshield. I feel like you can never win lol..

Oh also lets not forget the speeding tickets they give on Wilshire Corridor since the posted speed is 35 for a 9 lane road (4 west bound, 4 east bound and 1 turning lane)
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144441.00
KB30052.00
      03-09-2022, 08:15 PM   #5490
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zb2603 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
And as long as I put my hazard lights on, I can park any-freaking-where I decide is convenient, right? Middle of the street, handicapped, fire hydrant, red lines of the no parking zone. . .
Pretty much every Uber driver seems to do this now. Recent example: across from a large supermarket by UCLA, at least 10 cars lined up in the median/turn lane with their flashers on, nobody in the car, blocking traffic, not a cop or parking enforcement in sight (yet, I'll get a parking ticket + no front plate ticket within 30 seconds after my meter expires (in both Los Angeles city and Beverly Hills city). Go figure…
I feel like you are talking about the Whole Foods on Gayley. And yes, don't forget about the tickets that city of West Hollywood gives when you are parked at the hill and god forbid your tires are not turned left enough on a uphill and right enough on a downhill.

At least LA and BH have the courtesy of waiting for your meter to expire, in West Hollywood by the time you walk out of your car pay for it and go sit at the restaurant the front license plate ticket is already on your windshield. I feel like you can never win lol..

Oh also lets not forget the speeding tickets they give on Wilshire Corridor since the posted speed is 35 for a 9 lane road (4 west bound, 4 east bound and 1 turning lane)
I've somehow never gotten a ticket on the Wilshire Corridor, but do tend to slow down now due to this insane construction…

And you're right about West Hollywood! A few years ago now I was parking and apparently a meter maid was nearby as when I was getting out to put money in the meter, he gave me a no-front plate ticket!! I had literally just pulled into the spot (on the sunset strip by Le Petit Four) and was exiting my car!

And they do that at Whole Foods, as well, but sometimes it's even worse at the Ralph's down the street on Le Conte (I think that's the street) going towards Hilgard.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50
      03-09-2022, 08:26 PM   #5491
shoei
Banned
Rep

Don't park at LAX by the terminals. If I'm only going for the weekend or day trip I used to just park by the gates. One day got back from a day trip to SF. Tinted windows and no front plate ticket. It's head in parking so the fucker literally checked the front of my car that was facing a wall, lol.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
zb26031055.50
      03-09-2022, 08:27 PM   #5492
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i, 2022 BMW 540i

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've somehow never gotten a ticket on the Wilshire Corridor, but do tend to slow down now due to this insane construction…

And you're right about West Hollywood! A few years ago now I was parking and apparently a meter maid was nearby as when I was getting out to put money in the meter, he gave me a no-front plate ticket!! I had literally just pulled into the spot (on the sunset strip by Le Petit Four) and was exiting my car!

And they do that at Whole Foods, as well, but sometimes it's even worse at the Ralph's down the street on Le Conte (I think that's the street) going towards Hilgard.
Going towards 405 is a mess now, but heading east to BH from Manning Ave to Whittier Drive (where the old 76 is right by the BH sign) is like a racetrack. Now they hide on the side streets to clock with laser.

Something about West Hollywood's Parking Enforcement enrages me all the time.. I don't know how they come out of nowhere. I learned my lesson on the strip too now I just park at where O'Gara used to host Sunset GT so its out of sight of parking enforcement, I think you should do that as well they can't ticket you there for anything since its "private".

Oh yeah.. Ralphs.. I park at Target to take the elevator up there because there is always some shit show going on at their entrance.. Gotta love the people who stop on the one lane road in front of Trader Joes parking entrance as well. They're a breed of their own..
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144441.00
KB30052.00
      03-09-2022, 08:31 PM   #5493
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Going towards 405 is a mess now, but heading east to BH from Manning Ave to Whittier Drive (where the old 76 is right by the BH sign) is like a racetrack. Now they hide on the side streets to clock with laser.

Something about West Hollywood's Parking Enforcement enrages me all the time.. I don't know how they come out of nowhere. I learned my lesson on the strip too now I just park at where O'Gara used to host Sunset GT so its out of sight of parking enforcement, I think you should do that as well they can't ticket you there for anything since its "private".

Oh yeah.. Ralphs.. I park at Target to take the elevator up there because there is always some shit show going on at their entrance.. Gotta love the people who stop on the one lane road in front of Trader Joes parking entrance as well. They're a breed of their own..
I frequent Ministry of Coffee on that side street by Trader Joes in the mornings on my way to work, and that may be one of the worst side streets for people just parking wherever they want and causing an absolute mess!!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50
      03-10-2022, 02:17 AM   #5494
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh they getcha on Olympic and a few blocks before Overland. I forgot his name but I used to live in Century City so he nailed me a couple times over the years. Motorcycle cop and deserving of ticket yes but everyone in the neighborhood knew him to be a prick.

One of my fondest memories was way back yesteryear sitting on Olympic and Beverly Glen heading west at the light and the dude next to me starts revving. Obnoxiously. I'd just gotten my second ticket from above cop and I knew chances were high he'd be sitting in his favorite perch. I gave a slight rev back, light turned green and he takes off leaving a patch. I legit waited to go until the car behind me honked and then made sure to slowly drive past with my windows down as he's sitting in his car waiting for the cop to get off his bike. I'll never forget you, Infiniti G37. Godspeed.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
SaMaster144441.00
      03-10-2022, 02:43 AM   #5495
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh they getcha on Olympic and a few blocks before Overland. I forgot his name but I used to live in Century City so he nailed me a couple times over the years. Motorcycle cop and deserving of ticket yes but everyone in the neighborhood knew him to be a prick.

One of my fondest memories was way back yesteryear sitting on Olympic and Beverly Glen heading west at the light and the dude next to me starts revving. Obnoxiously. I'd just gotten my second ticket from above cop and I knew chances were high he'd be sitting in his favorite perch. I gave a slight rev back, light turned green and he takes off leaving a patch. I legit waited to go until the car behind me honked and then made sure to slowly drive past with my windows down as he's sitting in his car waiting for the cop to get off his bike. I'll never forget you, Infiniti G37. Godspeed.
Love this story.

P.S. I used to train [Capoeira] off of Ocean Park and 29th. Our academy moved to Venice off of Lincoln now.
Appreciate 2
SaMaster144441.00
shoei7779.00
      03-10-2022, 12:33 PM   #5496
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ohh G37s hahah. The G37S sedan was my first car, and looking back, I should have had a 328i or something less powerful (no issues with the car, no tickets, etc., I was just more of a d*ck than I should have been at times).

My favorite story was a probably when a newer model VW bug (yes, you read that correctly) was REALLY messing with me on the highway driving up to La Quinta. I was going normal speed in the 3rd lane (lane to the right of the "fast" lane) and he kept cutting in front of me and trying to mess with me in my M4. Sped up once to get away from him and basically say "F off" (no "race" as his car was a joke). I know there are cops all along the 10, and when he caught up and tried doing his crap again, I just slowed down even further and kept on my way. He finally floored it and I see those glorious (in this instance) red and blue lights behind me; cop was right behind me, jumps out and pulls him right over as I wave goodbye and continue on my way)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #5497
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Haven't read it in a while but as I recall there's also no specific speed limit associated either, so it doesn't matter if you're doing exactly the speed limit if everyone else is doing 5-10 over. If you're in the fast lane obstructing by driving too slowly...technically can still be cited. As always it'll be at the discretion of the officer present though.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      03-10-2022, 04:54 PM   #5498
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:
Haven't read it in a while but as I recall there's also no specific speed limit associated either, so it doesn't matter if you're doing exactly the speed limit if everyone else is doing 5-10 over. If you're in the fast lane obstructing by driving too slowly...technically can still be cited. As always it'll be at the discretion of the officer present though.
Yep! It's all on the officer to articulate why the person is driving too slowly for the conditions. Conversely, you can also be cited for driving too fast for the conditions even if you're driving the posted speed limit.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2022, 05:09 PM   #5499
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh that law has saved my ass a few times. I'll send you something in PM that attorneys utilize for said tickets. Applicable to you as I believe you're in CA. Here's a snippet.

The Basic Speed Law, CVC 22350 states: "No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property."

On the date of the citation, the roads were dry and clear with medium traffic.
No persons or property were put at risk by my driving. As such, the Officer does not make a credible case that I was in violation of the Basic Speed Law.

This is usually followed by a bunch of crap about how it's especially a speed trap because certified copy of engineering or speed survey done within certain amount of years (5 I believe) and then a bunch of nonsense about calibration and certifications of equipment used and if police vehicle was used to determine speed then documented certification on dash calibration as well and a lot of other nonsense in lawyer speak.

*This message was NOT approved by sedan clan.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #5500
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh that law has saved my ass a few times. I'll send you something in PM that attorneys utilize for said tickets. Applicable to you as I believe you're in CA. Here's a snippet.

The Basic Speed Law, CVC 22350 states: "No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property."

On the date of the citation, the roads were dry and clear with medium traffic.
No persons or property were put at risk by my driving. As such, the Officer does not make a credible case that I was in violation of the Basic Speed Law.

This is usually followed by a bunch of crap about how it's especially a speed trap because certified copy of engineering or speed survey done within certain amount of years (5 I believe) and then a bunch of nonsense about calibration and certifications of equipment used and if police vehicle was used to determine speed then documented certification on dash calibration as well and a lot of other nonsense in lawyer speak.

*This message was NOT approved by sedan clan.

22350 CVC is just a speeding catch-all, whereas 22349 CVC, 22348 CVC, etc. are speed specific.

The portion in bold is effectively "speeding" and it can easily be articulated.
Appreciate 0