BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Bavsound long term review

02-21-2023, 04:27 PM   #111
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Thanks for this. I looked it up after since it was the weekend, and couldn’t get Bavsound on the horn. I wasn’t too worried about it anyways, was a good excuse to wrench on the car for a bit, and maybe get a little extra punch. I thought about adding it to the list for my shop to do, but just figured it was like $500 I could just save towards my next sound system (plus the hour or two of labor they would have charged lol).

Thanks!
You’re welcome! I’m not near the level of a lot of the guys on this forum in terms of what they can do to their cars, but once you have these tips, it’s a little easier. For things like this, I’d ordinarily enlist the help of a shop, but I was able to do it.

Because this is my second M5, and I’ve had a few (warranty covered) failures, I’ve done the install/uninstall process nearly a dozen times. It’s a little tricky the first time — it’s not you.
      03-27-2023, 06:00 PM   #112
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Coming back to this thread again. After six weeks of the best sound I’ve had in an M5 (that didn’t have BW), today, at least one of the BavSound woofers is no longer working. I know this means the other one biting the dust is just around the corner.

As mentioned previously in this thread, when I received this replacement set, Bavsound (very nicely) told me that they would no longer be able to provide warranty replacements and that I could receive a full refund, or, in the alternative, one last final set. I opted for the final set because I wanted a quick solution and I thoughts I’d get a few months out of them at least. I did not even get that. I’ve maintained this whole time their customer service is fantastic and I still stand by that. And the product, when it works, and once it’s meshed with the car’s whole system, sounds amazing — especially given its price.

I’m looking at different options for direct replacements now. Will come back to the thread when I’ve made a decision and post what I go with.

I’ve asked this before but I’ll ask again. Anyone else having failure on the Ghost under seat kit?
      03-28-2023, 11:11 AM   #113
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Morel makes a BMW underseat woofer that’s is better than the BavSound. I know one of the top install shops in the country uses these when they do BMW upgrades.

Unfortunately, the BMW speaker locations are not very good for sound quality, or for upgrading to aftermarket gear.

Mercedes is doing a far better job in the audio realm. They are using infinite baffle midbass drivers in the firewall now. Fantastic location and easy to upgrade.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 07:14 PM   #114
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Morel makes a BMW underseat woofer that’s is better than the BavSound. I know one of the top install shops in the country uses these when they do BMW upgrades.

Unfortunately, the BMW speaker locations are not very good for sound quality, or for upgrading to aftermarket gear.

Mercedes is doing a far better job in the audio realm. They are using infinite baffle midbass drivers in the firewall now. Fantastic location and easy to upgrade.
Thank you, sir! I will look into them also. I know you have a lot of experience with competition audio, and I know this is a very general and broad question, but would you prefer them over anything else that you know works?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain. You obviously know way more about this than I do.
      03-29-2023, 01:27 PM   #115
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

I have not heard the Morel but I know a very good installer who uses them in client cars. He would not use them if he did not like them.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2023, 03:32 PM   #116
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have not heard the Morel but I know a very good installer who uses them in client cars. He would not use them if he did not like them.
Thank you so much!
      05-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #117
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

So far so good with mine - almost a year 🤞. Very happy with sound of both kits…
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2023, 08:44 PM   #118
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Coming back to this thread again. After six weeks of the best sound I’ve had in an M5 (that didn’t have BW), today, at least one of the BavSound woofers is no longer working. I know this means the other one biting the dust is just around the corner.

As mentioned previously in this thread, when I received this replacement set, Bavsound (very nicely) told me that they would no longer be able to provide warranty replacements and that I could receive a full refund, or, in the alternative, one last final set. I opted for the final set because I wanted a quick solution and I thoughts I’d get a few months out of them at least. I did not even get that. I’ve maintained this whole time their customer service is fantastic and I still stand by that. And the product, when it works, and once it’s meshed with the car’s whole system, sounds amazing — especially given its price.

I’m looking at different options for direct replacements now. Will come back to the thread when I’ve made a decision and post what I go with.

I’ve asked this before but I’ll ask again. Anyone else having failure on the Ghost under seat kit?
Miracualously started working again out of nowhere about two weeks ago and running strong now. Sorry, forgot to update the thread, but UglyBuzzard’s post reminded me. Still researching other options for if/when they die, but I’m hoping to get to a year like him.
      06-11-2023, 08:03 PM   #119
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Miracualously started working again out of nowhere about two weeks ago and running strong now. Sorry, forgot to update the thread, but UglyBuzzard’s post reminded me. Still researching other options for if/when they die, but I’m hoping to get to a year like him.
Aaaaaaand as of a couple of days ago, they’re dead again. One quit, then the other side quit the next day. Looking for another solution.
      07-21-2023, 12:57 AM   #120
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Jus to note - for some the bass cutting out might not be the speakers.

There is a known issue with some BMW amps that need replacing
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1786245
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #121
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
ramparts, I was going to point you to this thread in relation to subwoofer discussion in the other thread.

Looks like you got here before me.
      07-22-2023, 06:23 AM   #122
NCRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5C

Quote:

Will these happen to also work for B&W?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #123
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRob View Post
Will these happen to also work for B&W?
I can’t seem to find a single Morel BMW subwoofer that has a connector or size for anything other than the HK system and it’s enclosure. I don’t see anything they make that would work with BW.
      11-19-2023, 11:43 PM   #124
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Trying Focal ISUB BMW 4s.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30668251
      11-20-2023, 12:00 AM   #125
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
UglyBuzzard, haven’t seen you around much lately, but do you happen to know if your Ghost is 8 ohm?
      12-19-2023, 11:14 PM   #126
hunter8793
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Update with the new v3 subs? I have the v2 and don't notice them.
Appreciate 0