BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Test drove the M5C - Didn't feel quick?

08-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #23
Jocko78
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 / X3 M40i

I felt the same way you did when I bought the car. My RS7 just felt faster, I measured both and the M5 was a bit faster. Maybe it the way it accelerates? I will say this, now that I have a few thousand miles on it, it definitely feels faster when I purchased it and the numbers back it, I get that dropping feeling in my stomach when I launch.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #24
MikeStammer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C DG

Garage List
2021 M5 Comp  [0.00]
jocko, to be clear, do you think its faster now that you have a few 1000 miles on it, or did it feel faster when it was new(er)? i can read it both ways as is, but wanted to clarify as it relates to your last sentence as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #25
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

OP I definitely know what you mean. The M5 is incredibly fast but also very smooth and composed while the AMG is slower (by a small amount) it has a more aggressive feel to it with the shifts, exhaust and suspension which may have given you the impression that it felt faster.

Also the E63S refresh will be getting a comfort suspension that addresses complaints so if looking at one I'd wait out.
      08-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #26
PL_BMW
Rep
Drives: Audi B9 S4, GLC 63s AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Owned a W213 E63 Edition 1 and still own a 2018 First Edition M5.... I ended up taking two test drives because nothing is achieved on the first in my opinion and thats all she wrote. Ill fathom that the exhaust note in the E63 plays a large role in "feel" of speed as well. Heck Ive had 11 AMG's so Im not just an M lover. Here is what I wroten(at the AMG forum) a long time ago and this was pre purchase of the M5.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1525153
I remember reading through that post, good info! From reading some of the posts, I'm inclined to give the m5 another go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC4 View Post
I left the car wash the other day and the M5 felt noticeably slower than normal. I checked that I was in Sport Plus for the transmission which is my M1 setting- it was. I got worried until I realized that the car wash guy had hit the button that lowers the sound output for the engine. I put it back to full blast sound and it felt a lot faster. Funny how that works. Maybe that was what happened in your case. If not, maybe the E63 is the car for you. That was the car I had before the M5 and they're both great. Go with what makes you happier. Don't worry about .1 second in a 0-60.
I used to be someone who chased 0 to 60, 1/4, 60-130, etc times. But some cars just feel different, not just the m5. I never knew there was much truth in cars that were not as fast but also fun to drive until I got out there and was able to drive some of them. It really puts things in different perspective, maybe it isn't all about speed........ok maybe a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB View Post
On the day 1 when I was beating on my M5, I didn't realize how many times I actually activated the traction control because the tires were overinflated, so the car never felt consistent until air pressure was resolved. Perhaps traction was one of the issues on your test run?

That said, the AMG 63s does feel like it shoves you in the seat harder. I personally love the GLC63 you got there! Almost got that before I went the M5 route. Never drove the E63, but they are horrible on leases so it was M5 all the way compared to anything else.

Yeah, definitely something I might not have noticed when driving a new car. If that's the case, traction control doesn't feel as intrusive in this car, which is pretty awesome. Putting it in mdm should help. Hoping to see if that changes anything for next time.

Thanks, its a really looker, gray with the red interior. I get a good amount of attention. Its really a stupid car/SUV, there's almost no point to it which is why I love it. Plus that exhaust....

I remember trying to explore the lease deals on a new e63 and just for fun, on a amg gt r. The sales guy never ran numbers that high

Said nope to that real quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocko78 View Post
I felt the same way you did when I bought the car. My RS7 just felt faster, I measured both and the M5 was a bit faster. Maybe it the way it accelerates? I will say this, now that I have a few thousand miles on it, it definitely feels faster when I purchased it and the numbers back it, I get that dropping feeling in my stomach when I launch.
RS7 feels really good too, had some time in that as well. All are great cars. There's lots of variables, I agree. Season, humidity, elevation, etc. I might just need to convince the sales person that I need to launch the car to get a, "proper" feel lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
OP I definitely know what you mean. The M5 is incredibly fast but also very smooth and composed while the AMG is slower (by a small amount) it has a more aggressive feel to it with the shifts, exhaust and suspension which may have given you the impression that it felt faster.

Also the E63S refresh will be getting a comfort suspension that addresses complaints so if looking at one I'd wait out.
I purchased the glc new, and during break in it was quick-ish, after break in, it was good. Now, with about 3.5k miles, its awesome, really broke into the power. The m5 just might be really smooth and just gathers speed. I know a bunch of people who prefer that over that torque feel.

I looked into that also and I was pretty excited. The suspension is kinda jarring when you hit a pothole or cover on the road, livable, but it can be better. The m5 wins in that category, it took me all of 5 seconds to realize. I just prefer the lights of the pre-face lift. The grille I'm so so on. Everything has a panamericana girlle now.

I wish I could just take the pros from the m5 and e63, put them together and mount it on the new rs6 body.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      08-06-2020, 03:20 AM   #27
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_BMW View Post
I'm shopping between the w213 e63 and the M5C. I feel these cars offer the best in everyday driving and also sportiness when needed. I've driven the e63 and up to that point, it was the fastest car I've ever been in. The dealer let me ring it out. I've never been in a car that blurs my periphery and give me tunnel vision, at least for a second or two. The sheer amount of torque and acceleration for a car this heavy with three people was staggering. It threw you back into the seat and gave me those g-force/butterflies.

I went to go test drive the M5C last week and I was actually preferring it to the e63. Smoother ride, really only need the two packages which give you everything you need from a luxury point. I had three people in the car, so fair comparison to the e63. I put it in m1, made sure everything was in sport plus and selected manual shifting. I set out and got a feel for it. Definitely not as aggressive as the e63, which is a pro and a con. I had an open stretch and went for a 2nd gear pull. There was a bit of lag even though I rolled into it and although it pressed me in the seat it was kinda gentle, not really anything sudden. I expected the car to pull harder as the revs climbed but it never really did. I shut it down around 125 ish. I tried 2nd gear, then 1 st gear, and then 3 rd gear. They all, kinda of felt just smooth and not sudden. I will say that objectively and on paper/speedometer wise yes, the car is very fast without a doubt, the length I pulled compared to traffic behind me was staggering. However, I got no excitement from the pull it was just, smooth.

I got back home and took out my glc 63s amg and did some pulls. I got the immediately stomach feeling and the responsiveness.

The M5C had me very confused. I started thinking maybe I left it in a weird mode or the wrong mode? In any case, I wanted to ask the forums and those who have had the car for a while if you think the M5C is more of a smooth accelerator. It gets up to speed and goes extremely fast but does not "feel" as its specs suggest or "feel" as fast when flooring it.

I understand some buyers prefer this, but if that is the case, I guess I'm just not the target buyer for this car. In my opinion, I want to feel that aggressive acceleration.

Thanks!
I had almost the exact same post when I first drove an M5 Comp. I thought it felt super slow. If you're in the wrong mode, or hit it at the wrong speed, it can feel very unimpressive. I ended up buying a base M5 and modifying it a bit. Now that I know how to drive it, even with the stock tune, it's a BEAST. I think these cars have some speeds where they don't accelerate well. From 35-55mph, mine will drop to 2nd gear, gets to red line before it can even build boost, then shifts, it really takes a few seconds to get going. From 65-75, it will drop to 4th gear only and goes well, but doesn't feel fast. From 55-65, it will drop to 3rd and rip. From 80-85 it will hit pretty hard when it drops to 4th (at least when tuned). Always from a stop with LC its very fast.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 05:26 AM   #28
TheRealBob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 Bluestone M5

It's been my experience with every car that I've ever owned, that they have a happy place and a sleepier place. This M5 is no different, but I've now adjusted to its particular characteristics, so now I know exactly how it's going to respond in any given situation.

I would say this ZF transmission in its most aggressive shift mode does a good job of very quickly finding its happy place, so that's a good starting point for anyone unfamiliar with the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:56 AM   #29
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
M5 Speed

Quote:
I'm shopping between the w213 e63 and the M5C. I feel these cars offer the best in everyday driving and also sportiness when needed. I've driven the e63 and up to that point, it was the fastest car I've ever been in. The dealer let me ring it out. I've never been in a car that blurs my periphery and give me tunnel vision, at least for a second or two. The sheer amount of torque and acceleration for a car this heavy with three people was staggering. It threw you back into the seat and gave me those g-force/butterflies.

I went to go test drive the M5C last week and I was actually preferring it to the e63. Smoother ride, really only need the two packages which give you everything you need from a luxury point. I had three people in the car, so fair comparison to the e63. I put it in m1, made sure everything was in sport plus and selected manual shifting. I set out and got a feel for it. Definitely not as aggressive as the e63, which is a pro and a con. I had an open stretch and went for a 2nd gear pull. There was a bit of lag even though I rolled into it and although it pressed me in the seat it was kinda gentle, not really anything sudden. I expected the car to pull harder as the revs climbed but it never really did. I shut it down around 125 ish. I tried 2nd gear, then 1 st gear, and then 3 rd gear. They all, kinda of felt just smooth and not sudden. I will say that objectively and on paper/speedometer wise yes, the car is very fast without a doubt, the length I pulled compared to traffic behind me was staggering. However, I got no excitement from the pull it was just, smooth.

I got back home and took out my glc 63s amg and did some pulls. I got the immediately stomach feeling and the responsiveness.

The M5C had me very confused. I started thinking maybe I left it in a weird mode or the wrong mode? In any case, I wanted to ask the forums and those who have had the car for a while if you think the M5C is more of a smooth accelerator. It gets up to speed and goes extremely fast but does not "feel" as its specs suggest or "feel" as fast when flooring it.

I understand some buyers prefer this, but if that is the case, I guess I'm just not the target buyer for this car. In my opinion, I want to feel that aggressive acceleration.

Thanks!
I thought my M5 was fast till I bought the Race chip Ultimate Black, plug-in-play. Wow! Night and day drive. The Race chip wakes this car up. I was going to dealership for oil change, so I unplugged it. In M2 the car drive regular. After reinstall the Race chip I get scared it's so fast and quick.

If anyone else on board can post their night and day story, may help out people needing a little more power.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #30
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Traction control was nannying you probably.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #31
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:

Thanks!

Make sure you program the M button of choice (I use M2 for this, my hooligan settings) to D3 and all settings (motor, suspension and steering) to Sport Plus. Then try it again. Let us know how it went.
Burger Tuning JB4, H & R 550 springs, spacers 13mm front and 10mm rear, Michelin PS4S 285/30/20 front, 295/30/20 rear, Remus racing exhaust, Eventuri V2 intake, Suntek Ultra PPF entire car, ceramic coated wheels/brakes, 20% ceramic tints, assorted CF bits.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #32
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

I only had the pleasure to drive it one day around Munich. I can relate to what you say. The first reaction of me (and my kids) was lukewarm... "is this what a 0-60 in 3s should feel like...hmmm? The M4C feels clearly more brutal and visceral!".

But later that day, my initial disppointment totally turned when I realised how this car renders everything so easy and obvious. It trashes everything on 4 wheels that is not a genuine super or hyper car. It did it at 300km/h on the German high road, it did it on the Bavarian local roads, it did it in every possible occasion. I full throttle accelerated out of a T-junction from standstill and it did it like a massive slingshot. While doing this, the steering feel and traject precision is just spot on! At 300 it feels planted in sweeping turns holding perfect in lane, while the M4C already becomes restless and somewhat balistic at 260.

Since then, for me, the F90 is pure magic.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #33
fricks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5c

Garage List
2019 BMW M5c  [0.00]
I also test drove and was so disappointed. It wasn't until after I bought it I learned that putting it in sport + for everything wasn't all it had. I had to put the transmission mode into 3 and that changed everything. Something I should have researched before going for a test drive. Would have eliminated a lot of confusion during the test drive period.
Appreciate 1
m3m4tho32.00
      08-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #34
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricks View Post
I also test drove and was so disappointed. It wasn't until after I bought it I learned that putting it in sport + for everything wasn't all it had. I had to put the transmission mode into 3 and that changed everything. Something I should have researched before going for a test drive. Would have eliminated a lot of confusion during the test drive period.
Magnificent: you test drove it, left massively disappointed and still you bought it! Whow!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #35
fricks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5c

Garage List
2019 BMW M5c  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Quote:
Magnificent: you test drove it, left massively disappointed and still you bought it! Whow!
I knew something wasn't right. I went right from the bmw dealership to the Mercedes and test drove the E63s and that was nice but something about the M5C that I just liked more and I knew I was missing something.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:20 PM   #36
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I had the same lackluster experience on my first test drive. Wrong settings made it feel very similar to my 550 with JB4: fast, but not crazy fast.
The good news is- setting it up properly unleashes the beast.
      08-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #37
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I knew something wasn't right. I went right from the bmw dealership to the Mercedes and test drove the E63s and that was nice but something about the M5C that I just liked more and I knew I was missing something.
What struck me most were not the +170mph high way runs in the morning. Traject precision and stability made it all seem child's play. But afterall, it was something I could expect since the heavy M5 was intended for.

Later I hit the Alps and there the serpentine mountain roads felt like 2nd nature... How such a heavy limousine is capable to reap corner after corner with full confidence at incredible speed is still a mystery to me. I was afraid the first time in my live that I would not be fast enough to anticipate the relentless feed of sharp corners between the 120mph bursts, but the M5 didn't complain... it just yelled: MORE YOU LASY IDIOT!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:38 PM   #38
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

The car does feel slow on test drives, my opinion:

It's a quiet car
Most are delivered with pirellis
You need to chip / tune
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #39
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:

Thanks!
I have the F90 M5C and I know what you are talking about. The AMGs feels more "explosive" when you get on the throttle. I think M cars have the power delivery tuned to be as linear as possible akin to a NA engine delivers its power. No sudden spikes or whatsoever. Had a friend that test drove my previous G30 540i and current F90 M5C and his comment was, errr feels similar and does not feel significantly more powerful was his comment.

The AMGs are very nice cars as well, would love to own a E63S or a GT63S in the not too distant future.
      08-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #40
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
I have the F90 M5C and I know what you are talking about. The AMGs feels more "explosive" when you get on the throttle. I think M cars have the power delivery tuned to be as linear as possible akin to a NA engine delivers its power. No sudden spikes or whatsoever. Had a friend that test drove my previous G30 540i and current F90 M5C and his comment was, errr feels similar and does not feel significantly more powerful was his comment.

The AMGs are very nice cars as well, would love to own a E63S or a GT63S in the not too distant future.
I test drove the E63S and the M5C before going with the M5. I can attest to this feeling however the racechip on the M5 really pushed it past the MB. For warranty purposes though it's getting removed I don't want to be stuck with no drivetrain warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #41
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I test drove the E63S and the M5C before going with the M5. I can attest to this feeling however the racechip on the M5 really pushed it past the MB. For warranty purposes though it's getting removed I don't want to be stuck with no drivetrain warranty.
Nonetheless, it's a pitty that you have to piggyback a racechip on the M5c to get the anticipated result. For such a glorious car, some cheap chip tuning should be never on your mind.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
      08-10-2020, 10:43 PM   #42
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Nonetheless, it's a pitty that you have to piggyback a racechip on the M5c to get the anticipated result. For such a glorious car, some cheap chip tuning should be never on your mind.
I should rephrase, the M5C acceleration felt 9/10. The racechip turned it up to 11. In stock form it's blistering fast but only when everything is in sport+. I just liked being able to tool around in comfort mode and having better response.

I can certainly live without the racechip without being disappointed. But alas this is how BMW gets ya - I'm sure the M5 CS will be what I have now with the racechip.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:11 AM   #43
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Piggy back my a**, this car is so bloody fast out of the box. Nothing on four wheels could keep up in one year of ownership, and was even with a kawasaki ninja 1000 on multiple pulls. And that is a stock M5c.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #44
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Quote:

Thanks!

Make sure you program the M button of choice (I use M2 for this, my hooligan settings) to D3 and all settings (motor, suspension and steering) to Sport Plus. Then try it again. Let us know how it went.
My first thought as well. How do the settings compare to the F80? If they're similar, just hitting the M1 may or may not do much. It's just a macro button. You can adjust those settings to whatever you want, although I assume default is relatively aggressive? On my F80, the M1 default setting felt not as quick as I expected, but the trans was in D1. I changed it to D3, and that made a *huge* difference.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0