BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Door Stuck Shut

08-06-2020, 11:33 AM   #23
jko2001
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
My dealer thought this was the problem at first. Below is what they did to fix. For me, it didn't fix the problem but it might you. See if they can find the same bulletin.

5974 VERIFIED. UNABLE TO OPEN REAR DOOR FROM OUTSIDE HANDLE JAMMED. REMOVED PASSENGER REAR DOOR PANEL.
REMOVED PASSENGER REAR WINDOW AND WINDOW REGULATOR TO ACCESS REAR LATCH SYSTEM. REMOVED RIGHT REAR LATCH
AND INSPECTED. FOUND WATER AND ICE PRESENT IN RIGHT REAR DOOR HANDLE OUTER CABLE. CONTACTED BMW AND FOUND
ADVANCED INFO BULLETIN FOR RELATED ISSUE. PARTS ON ORDER FOR RIGHT REAR DOOR HANDLE OUTER CABLE. REASSEMBLE
VEHICLE PARTS NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME WILL CONTACT CUSTOMER WHEN PART IS IN.
kdeleon Did you ever get this sorted out? I had my car in storage for a bit during COVID and recently brought it in for service. The service rep said that they need to be able to replicate it themselves (and video evidence provided by me is insufficient), so I'll have to wait until the winter and leave it there overnight before they'll take a look at whether or not water is present. And they probably won't have the parts at that time either...super annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:01 AM   #24
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

I had this happen to me in a M550ix; it’s because of a bad latch. You’ll need to take it in for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #25
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jko2001 View Post
kdeleon Did you ever get this sorted out? I had my car in storage for a bit during COVID and recently brought it in for service. The service rep said that they need to be able to replicate it themselves (and video evidence provided by me is insufficient), so I'll have to wait until the winter and leave it there overnight before they'll take a look at whether or not water is present. And they probably won't have the parts at that time either...super annoying.
Yes. I think the reply before mine had the same solution. But this was fixed right before quarantine. And now it is much warmer. I did not experience it again, then again I did not drive much in the remaining winter months. I will check it once more in the winter. Here are the notes from when I brought it again earlier this year.

10901 RIGHT REAR OUTER DOOR HANDLE CARRIER FAULTY 1. REMOVED DOOR PANEL, REMOVED WINDOW REGULATOR ASEMBLY,
REMOVED DOOR LOCK ACTUATOR, REMOVED OUTER DOOR HANDLE, REMOVED AND REPLACED OUTER DOOR HANDLE CARRIER,
SWAPPED OVER BOWDEN CABLES AND REINSTALLED 2. CONNECTED ICOM AND CHARGER, RAN VEHICLE TEST, WENT THROUGH
TEST PLAN TO INITIALIZE WINDOWS 3. REPLACED OUTER WINDOW WEATHER STRIPPING THAT WAS BENT DURING REMOVAL
Appreciate 1
jko200136.00
      12-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #26
jko2001
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Winter is back and so is the freezing door handle!

Here is the process presented to me by BMW to resolve this issue (which is also affecting G30 vehicles):

1. Leave the vehicle outside overnight at the dealership in order for them to replicate the issue in the morning (and hope that they check it before it get's sunny enough to thaw out the frozen component)
2. They then would diagnose the issue, likely by opening up the door and finding the water/ice in the door handle component
3. Close up the door and then order the required parts
4. Give me back the problem and schedule another appointment
5. Bring the vehicle back in for repairs

They refuse to take video evidence of the frozen handle as adequate information to open up the door and check it - it must be left overnight. They also won't order any parts (for this known issue) until after diagnostics; I have even offered to purchase the unused parts in the event they don't need to use them.

I also get the pleasure of paying for an Enterprise rental vehicle - TWICE!

I love the car, but BMW makes it really hard to remain loyal with the level of service they provide to folk who dish out over $120K++ on their cars.
Appreciate 0