BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    From M5 to 911 Turbo S (991.1 or 991.2)

04-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #133
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Just curious, but what is the hype behind the modern 911 turbo's? Other than quick acceleration and the whale tale, I always find myself liking the Carrera S, GTS or T more, but I'm also someone who doesn't put an emphasis on 0-60 times so that could be why.

The 992 Carrera S is putting out 2.9 seconds to 60 (w/ 1ft rollout) in magazines like Car and Driver, so realistically around 3.1 seconds, and this was in both the cabriolet and hardtop with RWD, and both with a lighter curb weight than the Turbo (and no manual for the Turbo now) so what are some reasons (other than acceleration) to go for the Turbo? Just generally curious here.
Have you ever launched a car over and over and over and repeatedly hit sub 2.6's with no mods? (and 4 tenths or more in a 60 romp gap is huge) And then you were able to turn and carve and cut thru the canyons and big bends at speeds faster with more confidence than in other cars? All while having an amazing chassis flex that combines brilliant damper and spring correlation? The Turbo S is the decathlete of cars IMHO. Yes it lacks some sound and the naysayers call it numb and others say its diluted but to me is the every day ass kicker and even a bonafide pussy would take a Turbo S to the mall/bank/grocery store. Its my Home Depot of cars- it has everything from tools to toilets to pizza (Home Depot has great pizza). The Turbo S isnt the best at everything everytime but it sure is close in alot of segments thus my decathlete connotation.
I'm sure its impressive, but if I can get low 3's in the regular Carrera's its already impressive enough for me, but then again, I value handling and engagement over 0-60 times, and others may value those aspects differently. I would just rather take a Carrera S with a manual and lower weight (I believe the turbo adds ~200-300lbs) and still get a good 0-60 time of around ~3 seconds. I don't know if this makes sense, but the faster these cars get, the "easier" they feel to drive, almost a little too easy. Like I've driven some cars where they get 0-60 in the high 2's to low 3's and while its fun at first I find it gets boring after a while, but again, thats just because I don't value 0-60 as a high margin for my purchases, which is also a reason I will likely be getting a Boxster 4.0 next year.
      04-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #134
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
I'm sure its impressive, but if I can get low 3's in the regular Carrera's its already impressive enough for me, but then again, I value handling and engagement over 0-60 times, and others may value those aspects differently. I would just rather take a Carrera S with a manual and lower weight (I believe the turbo adds ~200-300lbs) and still get a good 0-60 time of around ~3 seconds. I don't know if this makes sense, but the faster these cars get, the "easier" they feel to drive, almost a little too easy. Like I've driven some cars where they get 0-60 in the high 2's to low 3's and while its fun at first I find it gets boring after a while, but again, thats just because I don't value 0-60 as a high margin for my purchases.
So I would call myself a bit of an experienced owner of both the non Turbo cars and Turbo S units. I have had 4 non Turbo Carrera's and 5 Turbo S or Turbo cars. I currently have a tuned GTS 3.0 Turbo driven non Turbo 911. Yes its slightly lighter and has a better OEM sound but I dont find it any more involving than my Turbo S cars. I tend to really push my cars daily where I live- I have open toll roads and express ways (pre Covid) that allowed me to get to incredible speeds in turns, bends and straights. I dont really use the zero to 60 either but for me the 60-130 is far more meaningful and the Turbo S crushes here. And it has amazing handling with PDCC, RAS, SPASM, and OEM suspension that soaks up the road better than anything outside of magnetorheologicals- things that not all regular 991's have unless fully spec'd. I do enjoy my GTS but its a "baby" Turbo at best.

This comes from an owner of both cars over a long period. For a daily event I would take a Turbo S over a GT3 all day (had that too).

This is my experience from owning both sets and not just test driving or having a limited experience (not implying this about you- just stating)

Edit- I normally get new chassis model that is not a Turbo S cause its readily available then I migrate over.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #135
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure its impressive, but if I can get low 3's in the regular Carrera's its already impressive enough for me, but then again, I value handling and engagement over 0-60 times, and others may value those aspects differently. I would just rather take a Carrera S with a manual and lower weight (I believe the turbo adds ~200-300lbs) and still get a good 0-60 time of around ~3 seconds. I don't know if this makes sense, but the faster these cars get, the "easier" they feel to drive, almost a little too easy. Like I've driven some cars where they get 0-60 in the high 2's to low 3's and while its fun at first I find it gets boring after a while, but again, thats just because I don't value 0-60 as a high margin for my purchases.
So I would call myself a bit of an experienced owner of both the non Turbo cars and Turbo S units. I have had 4 non Turbo Carrera's and 5 Turbo S or Turbo cars. I currently have a tuned GTS 3.0 Turbo driven non Turbo 911. Yes its slightly lighter and has a better OEM sound but I dont find it any less involving than my Turbo S cars. I tend to really push my cars daily where I live- I have open toll roads and express ways (pre Covid) that allowed me to get to incredible speeds in turns, bends and straights. I dont really use the zero to 60 either but for me the 60-130 is far more meaningful and the Turbo S crushes here. And it has amazing handling with PDCC, RAS, SPASM, and OEM suspension that soaks up the road better than anything outside of magnetorheologicals- things that not all regular 991's have unless fully spec'd. I do enjoy my GTS but its a "baby" Turbo at best.

This comes from an owner of both cars over a long period. For a daily event I would take a Turbo S over a GT3 all day (had that too).

This is my experience from owning both sets and not just test driving or having a limited experience (not implying this about you- just stating)
That makes sense. I still like the Turbo models, as I love the 911 in general, I guess I just don't like it enough to warrant the extra money, and I'm also not ready to retire my left leg yet but they're all still fantastic models in general.

My father in-law is a Porsche fanatic and use to have a 996 Turbo (he's probably gone through almost 20 Porsche's in his lifetime by now) and that was definitely one cool car, one that started my interest in Porsche.

I definitely plan on getting a 911 in the future (most likely cabriolet as I'm a sucker for drop tops), as I have yet to own one.

My previous 718 Boxster S was actually my father-in-law's lease at first but he gave it to my wife and I for the last year, and ever since then I have been smitten with Porsche. My wife has the M2, so I need a fun sports car for myself now, and with the news of the flat-6 returning to the Boxster I knew I had to have it.

Last edited by stein_325i; 04-07-2020 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
Vic5518961.00
      04-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #136
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
So I would call myself a bit of an experienced owner of both the non Turbo cars and Turbo S units. I have had 4 non Turbo Carrera's and 5 Turbo S or Turbo cars. I currently have a tuned GTS 3.0 Turbo driven non Turbo 911. Yes its slightly lighter and has a better OEM sound but I dont find it any more involving than my Turbo S cars. I tend to really push my cars daily where I live- I have open toll roads and express ways (pre Covid) that allowed me to get to incredible speeds in turns, bends and straights. I dont really use the zero to 60 either but for me the 60-130 is far more meaningful and the Turbo S crushes here. And it has amazing handling with PDCC, RAS, SPASM, and OEM suspension that soaks up the road better than anything outside of magnetorheologicals- things that not all regular 991's have unless fully spec'd. I do enjoy my GTS but its a "baby" Turbo at best.

Edit- I normally get new chassis model that is not a Turbo S cause its readily available then I migrate over.
Great synthesis. I agree, SPASM is def the best among cars I’ve owned or been in for rebound and dampening.

Also, just for the sake of it, the 2017 MT best drivers car the 911 turbo placed 3rd after the 488 and 718 and beat out a lot of great cars like the AMG GT-R, Mclaren 570, C7 Grand sport and Giulia Quad. I think the turbo gets undue criticism bc the GT3 is such a scintillating and emotional drive with the best screamer of an NA engine IMO but is not warranted.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:58 PM   #137
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Quote:

Great synthesis. I agree, SPASM is def the best among cars I’ve owned or been in for rebound and dampening.

Also, just for the sake of it, the 2017 MT best drivers car the 911 turbo placed 3rd after the 488 and 718 and beat out a lot of great cars like the AMG GT-R, Mclaren 570, C7 Grand sport and Giulia Quad. I think the turbo gets undue criticism bc the GT3 is such a scintillating and emotional drive with the best screamer of an NA engine IMO but is not warranted.
@Vic55 I usually order these cars in a bright crazy color. Now going back and forth between all black with aurum wheels or gentian blue with navy blue interior, black wheels, yellow stitching etc.
Either way I'm at like $250k for a daily.. blah
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:40 PM   #138
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

If I were to get a 911 Turbo, whoever at Porsche spec'd this press car did it perfectly for me. Metallic White with a Red Roof and Leather. Simply gorgeous, and love the whale tail, really helps out with the cabriolet's rear end.
Attached Images

04-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #139
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
@Vic55 I usually order these cars in a bright crazy color. Now going back and forth between all black with aurum wheels or gentian blue with navy blue interior, black wheels, yellow stitching etc.
Have you seen Gentian in person? My take is, normally colors are much better in person than pics- not in the case of Gentian. I think its rather a dull blue vs the likes of Sapphire Blue. It doesnt pop in person as opposed to what you might see in pics with the user making subtle lighting adjustments with his/her iphone

250k--- doesnt sound like you at all Sylvain hahahahaha

Edit- black is your best choice here if you are staying clear of PTS stuff

Last edited by Vic55; 04-08-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #140
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Quote:
Have you seen Gentian in person? My take is, normally colors are much better in person than pics- not in the case of Gentian. I think its rather a dull blue vs the likes of Sapphire Blue. It doesnt pop in person as opposed to what you might see in pics with the user making subtle lighting adjustments with his/her iphone

250k--- doesnt sound like you at all Sylvain hahahahaha

Edit- black is your best choice here if you are staying clear of PTS stuff
$250k for a daily is high considering I beat the sh*t out of my daily cars with high miles and driving everywhere.
Irvine has a 991.2 turbo S in gentian Bkue with yellow how i would spec it just have to figure out how to see it with all going on. If not I'll do black. Very first world problems!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #141
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
$250k for a daily is high considering I beat the sh*t out of my daily cars with high miles and driving everywhere.
Irvine has a 991.2 turbo S in gentian Bkue with yellow how i would spec it just have to figure out how to see it with all going on. If not I'll do black. Very first world problems!
Yeah I saw that Turbo S--- they should deal to a certain extent but since they are AutoNation its hard to whore it out unless the Market President signs off on the discount (below holdback) if anyone wanted that car.

I just cant wrap my arms around Gentian.

Last edited by Vic55; 04-08-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #142
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

The new 992 Turbo S is amazing. Preliminary results from European magazines show it is blisteningly quick, its a pity I have had to drop my order, and probably sell my M5 to make some money for this pandemic craziness.

Besides that, 992 Turbo S will only arrive 2Q of 2021 here, so orders were delayed nearly 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #143
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
The new 992 Turbo S is amazing. Preliminary results from European magazines show it is blisteningly quick, its a pity I have had to drop my order, and probably sell my M5 to make some money for this pandemic craziness.

Besides that, 992 Turbo S will only arrive 2Q of 2021 here, so orders were delayed nearly 6 months.
Hopefully this mess will pass soon and you can reorder a 992 soon !

Have you seen any test numbers on 0-100kph and 1/4 mile ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #144
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Hopefully this mess will pass soon and you can reorder a 992 soon !

Have you seen any test numbers on 0-100kph and 1/4 mile ?
Hey mate, unfortunately not a lot of information. Saw some reviews, so far saying the car is ludicrously fast. I believe them.

This thing is absolutely bonkers. If the old one was lunacy (the 991.2) with 580-600hp, imagine with 640hp.

I will reorder one next year. Although since our currency here devalued crazily, I am not sure how the prices will be. In the website prices for orders have already gone up 10% (which is pretty much 150k in our local currency). Another thing, is that I am having a very hard time getting someone else to fill my allocation, there is a good chance I might have to keep it. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 03:27 AM   #145
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
If I were to get a 911 Turbo, whoever at Porsche spec'd this press car did it perfectly for me. Metallic White with a Red Roof and Leather. Simply gorgeous, and love the whale tail, really helps out with the cabriolet's rear end.
Same tastes
Attached Images

07-11-2020, 11:57 PM   #146
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

LOVE the Targas.....just not realistic for me right now with 1 child and another on the way.

Anyone else disappointed when you see a newer 911 and it's a base model? What a waste for the money. I know what the base models cost....but I always think "what a cheap f*ck" when I see one.

I'd take anything above a base model, though...the S is a great car as is the GTS.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:00 AM   #147
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Same tastes
Yep, love the red top on any color.....
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      07-13-2020, 07:28 PM   #148
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
LOVE the Targas.....just not realistic for me right now with 1 child and another on the way.

Anyone else disappointed when you see a newer 911 and it's a base model? What a waste for the money. I know what the base models cost....but I always think "what a cheap f*ck" when I see one.

I'd take anything above a base model, though...the S is a great car as is the GTS.
I need to drive one still but yeah, for what you get it doesn't seem all that great. I'd prefer an S, but even $120k for an S seems awfully high for a car that's less engaging than my Spyder -- I wouldn't daily it. Hard to justify. I'd be more inclined to buy a CPO '17 TTS at this point as I'd have the best of both worlds. I really could care less about the refinement and tech improvements of the 992 over the 991.