BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Cal-Tex window coating scam

03-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
basque76
Not a BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' BMW 535i (dec.), 19' M5

Cal-Tex window coating scam

So I purchased this protective plan after finance guy tells me it covers replacement of windshield in case of rock chips for around $1000. Then low and behold I get a clean rock chip (no crater or fracture) in the center of rain sensor where I can't see and next day it spreads from beyond the black center where I then notice it. Take it to Advantage BMW in Houston and guy first can't find me in the Cal-Tex system as having the protection plan, I prove I did pay for it with paperwork, then let's me know they did find me, but wants a picture of crack and will replace only if it is less than 6 inches!! I am beginning to think this windshield protection plan is a scam. Did anyone else purchase and receive full details on warranty (fine print)? Anyone else have experience with Cal-Tex coating (third party) sold through BMW finance?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by basque76 View Post
So I purchased this protective plan after finance guy tells me it covers replacement of windshield in case of rock chips for around $1000. Then low and behold I get a clean rock chip (no crater or fracture) in the center of rain sensor where I can't see and next day it spreads from beyond the black center where I then notice it. Take it to Advantage BMW in Houston and guy first can't find me in the Cal-Tex system as having the protection plan, I prove I did pay for it with paperwork, then let's me know they did find me, but wants a picture of crack and will replace only if it is less than 6 inches!! I am beginning to think this windshield protection plan is a scam. Did anyone else purchase and receive full details on warranty (fine print)? Anyone else have experience with Cal-Tex coating (third party) sold through BMW finance?
Did you read the document? What does it say?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
basque76
Not a BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever34 View Post
Did you read the document? What does it say?
You assume there is a document. I went back to finance manager and he gave me paper that soley addresses ResistAll for paint and fabric. Nothing on there about the windshield details. It pretty much is a scam.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by basque76 View Post
will replace only if it is less than 6 inches!!
Sure they didn't say more than 6 inches? That seems backwards, easy fix if its not big enough is to push on the windshield to spread it...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
basque76
Not a BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

That's what I thought too, but no. I think they say they won't replace if more than 6" because they are statistically betting on it propagating before you can get it to the dealership. A rock chip can spread super fast overnight. Lesson learned, take a photo ASAP.
Appreciate 0