BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    R&T: An M5 Wagon is the Perfect Weapon For Hauling Ass (And Groceries)

10-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #23
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I had a Volvo V70 AWD T5.....I loved that thing. I'd have another wagon in a heart beat, I'd love an AMG Wagon.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #24
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
What is it with the internet world's obsession with wagons? If even 5% of the people online who claim to love wagons actually bought them, there would be a market for them.

I'm not the type who clips my phone to the waistband of cargo pants, so perhaps I'll never understand...
It's not just the internet world, the used car world is obsessed with wagons as well. Just look at bringatrailer.com and see how much AMG wagons are fetching. Wagons hold their values extremely well, especially compared to crossovers. Doesn't matter to people who lease, which are most BMW customers now days.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:43 PM   #25
Dr Ed
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E90

I'm in my mid 30s and I own a e91 328i & e90 M3, I've also owned a E46 touring in the past. The wagon is the perfect combination of daily practicality, while still containing the 3 series sportiness. The extra room in the back is perfect for everything, the car still handles the same without requiring the extra girth of a SUV/crossover. If they ever created a e91 M3, then that would be the perfect car for me.
Appreciate 4
scostu1619.50
stein_325i25051.00
Soul_Glo13282.50
      10-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #26
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ed View Post
I'm in my mid 30s and I own a e91 328i & e90 M3, I've also owned a E46 touring in the past. The wagon is the perfect combination of daily practicality, while still containing the 3 series sportiness. The extra room in the back is perfect for everything, the car still handles the same without requiring the extra girth of a SUV/crossover. If they ever created a e91 M3, then that would be the perfect car for me.
+1 e91's such a great car and clean ones are hard to find.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:37 AM   #27
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ed View Post
The only difference between the G20 and it's wagon equivalent is that the roofline is 2mm higher at the rear. The length and width are exactly the same for the new 3 sedan and wagon.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #28
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

So I live in midwest not much of snow. Had an LX 470 to take family around + needed space for hauling office stuff.
Found the SUV, too bulky, slow and hard to maneuver for in town driving.
Sold it and bought an X5M thinking it's smaller and has the power but still found it too high up the ground and not as agile as I would want it to be.
Sold the X5M and now I am actively looking for an E63S wagon and what's there not to like about it .
It has a performance of a sports car (610/630) with a space of an SUV, better of both worlds.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      10-30-2020, 06:13 AM   #29
fmc000
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
+1, good history.
Here's another one: The word "Coupe" originally meant 2-door instead of "sedan with not enough rear head room."
"Coupe" should be actually written (and pronounced "koo · pei") as "coupé" with the acute accent, it's a French word and means "cut" (past participle). It originally meant the they took a 4-door sedan and "cut" the middle part between the front door and the trunk.
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50
      10-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #30
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

They are cool, and I appreciate them, however I in the USA would never buy one. The issue is the station wagon has a sigma to them of the early 90s and scream family mobile until the mini van and suv took off.

I would however glady sell my F30 and pick up a M140i in a heartbeat. Too bad the US doesn't get those, nor the Focus St 5 cylinder back in the day. The US market doesn't care about hot hatches anymore, its all sedans and crossover SUV's.
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50
      10-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #31
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
They are cool, and I appreciate them, however I in the USA would never buy one. The issue is the station wagon has a sigma to them of the early 90s and scream family mobile until the mini van and suv took off.

I would however glady sell my F30 and pick up a M140i in a heartbeat. Too bad the US doesn't get those, nor the Focus St 5 cylinder back in the day. The US market doesn't care about hot hatches anymore, its all sedans and crossover SUV's.
US Stigmas are so awkward and weird. My wife is the same way "We can NEVER drive a minivan."

Why? Why do you need an offroad vehicle to traverse the school yard? Somehow tough mom's shaped this weird world view where they'd rather pull up to soccer in a Yukon Denali XL that gets 14mpg than a "van" or "mini van" which has all the interior space, better visibility and handling. It's one thing if it double as a tow vehicle but 99% of the moms don't even have a hitch on the thing.

Even the idea of the "compact" Crossover is stupid. "Let's take an econobox and add 3" of ground clearance, make the handling and fuel economy worse but they'll sell like hot cakes"
stein_325i25051.00
..Rush..973.50
      10-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #32
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
US Stigmas are so awkward and weird. My wife is the same way "We can NEVER drive a minivan."

Why? Why do you need an offroad vehicle to traverse the school yard? Somehow tough mom's shaped this weird world view where they'd rather pull up to soccer in a Yukon Denali XL that gets 14mpg than a "van" or "mini van" which has all the interior space, better visibility and handling. It's one thing if it double as a tow vehicle but 99% of the moms don't even have a hitch on the thing.

Even the idea of the "compact" Crossover is stupid. "Let's take an econobox and add 3" of ground clearance, make the handling and fuel economy worse but they'll sell like hot cakes"
I don't, however America likes to be sold on the idea of things, not necessarily put them into action. Same thing applies to Jeep and that line of vehicles. It screams "America" and is lifted up high. You can go "hiking, see the country, not have anything hold you back" however 99% of those vehicles see only city streets period. Bigger = stronger = safer in most America's eyes.

Crossover SUV's were seen as a short term answer to the Jeep, and the older generation (Baby Boomers and above) liked the raised SUV as a larger vehicle made you feel more important, larger than your friends, and you didn't have to bend your knees as much to get in and out. Thus a mini SUV which is a similar height to only have t scoot over to sit and get out of is appealing. Many friends and family members alone switched from a car/sedan to a mini crossover SUV due to feeling higher as well as not having to squat to get into their cars. Add obesity to this mix and it's less "fat phobic and accommodating" compared to a standard sedan (I despise the fat positive movement and haes with a passion).

Also the increased cargo room. Sure you can do this with a wagon but its not as cool. You don't need a full blown pickup truck when you can use your SUV to fold down the seats and have the around 80% of the carrying random things capacity. It's more of a "vehicle that can do everything but not quite perfect at one particular thing" kind of survival/minimal vehicle.
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50
      10-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #33
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
"Coupe" should be actually written (and pronounced "koo · pei") as "coupé" with the acute accent, it's a French word and means "cut" (past participle). It originally meant the they took a 4-door sedan and "cut" the middle part between the front door and the trunk.
This is a regional thing. But here’s why you’re wrong.

As a Chinese American, When I go to Chinese restaurants, I don’t want to hear non-native speakers try for 15 minutes not to absolutely murder the pronounciation of “chow mien”

Just say “chow main” like you want to, we all know what you mean and you don’t have to make your mouth into weird shapes to form tones you’ve never spoken before.

Likewise, I’m American, I’m gonna say “coupe” with one syllable and the French can deal with it.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #34
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
This is a regional thing. But here's why you're wrong.

As a Chinese American, When I go to Chinese restaurants, I don't want to hear non-native speakers try for 15 minutes not to absolutely murder the pronounciation of "chow mien"

Just say "chow main" like you want to, we all know what you mean and you don't have to make your mouth into weird shapes to form tones you've never spoken before.

Likewise, I'm American, I'm gonna say "coupe" with one syllable and the French can deal with it.
Totally agree. Regional preferences in language is far older than the automobile. I don't pronounce aluminum the way the British do either. I'll go further and say this also applies to Porsche.
      11-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #35
4play
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Don't think that's accurate at all. There is a small(ish) community of performance wagon people who get the appeal of a performance car that can actually haul stuff. This "performance SUV" trend is awful and needs to die.

I would never own a mini van or SUV. I have owned several Audi S4 wagons (B5 and B6) and an E55 wagon.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #36
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Quote:
Don't think that's accurate at all. There is a small(ish) community of performance wagon people who get the appeal of a performance car that can actually haul stuff. This "performance SUV" trend is awful and needs to die.

I would never own a mini van or SUV. I have owned several Audi S4 wagons (B5 and B6) and an E55 wagon.
Perhaps, but at the same time as a business would you bring a wagon here or not ? If it doesn't sell then why bother if it's not profitable ? Hence hello mini suvs unfortunately.
MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0