BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Tire and correct PSI

08-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
quibbs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Tesla MS '18 Ford Raptor

Tire and correct PSI

I noticed I had a low pressure warning. My car has Pirelli P Zeros on the black 20" OEM wheels. Fronts are 275/35 zr20 (102y) and rears are 285/35 zr20 (104y).
When I went into the tire section on the screen, I noticed the tire setting was "Other tire". I went through the selections and noticed there was settings for 19" or 20" summer tires, something similar for winter tires and then the "other tire". I went into summer tire selection and it said select the tire size for the rear and it will auto set the fronts. It had my tire size on the rear listed 285/35 ZR20 so I selected it and had to drive the car for it to recalibrate the PSI. I noticed it set the recommended PSI to 41/42 psi (from 32/33).

I then looked at the door jam sticker and it had the correct tires listed with a PSI of 32 for the front and 33 for the rears.

Normally I would just go with the door jam sticker, but because I dove deep into the menus and got these results I started wondering.

I know this is basic for a lot of folks but I just want to make sure I set the car right as I have had some issues with the car being fidgety on highway travels and thought maybe the tire pressure may have some impact. Anyone know which way I should go with this?

Sorry for the basic question. Any help/advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
bubbaboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp, F12 Berlinetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by quibbs View Post
I noticed I had a low pressure warning. My car has Pirelli P Zeros on the black 20" OEM wheels. Fronts are 275/35 zr20 (102y) and rears are 285/35 zr20 (104y).
When I went into the tire section on the screen, I noticed the tire setting was "Other tire". I went through the selections and noticed there was settings for 19" or 20" summer tires, something similar for winter tires and then the "other tire". I went into summer tire selection and it said select the tire size for the rear and it will auto set the fronts. It had my tire size on the rear listed 285/35 ZR20 so I selected it and had to drive the car for it to recalibrate the PSI. I noticed it set the recommended PSI to 41/42 psi (from 32/33).

I then looked at the door jam sticker and it had the correct tires listed with a PSI of 32 for the front and 33 for the rears.

Normally I would just go with the door jam sticker, but because I dove deep into the menus and got these results I started wondering.

I know this is basic for a lot of folks but I just want to make sure I set the car right as I have had some issues with the car being fidgety on highway travels and thought maybe the tire pressure may have some impact. Anyone know which way I should go with this?

Sorry for the basic question. Any help/advice is appreciated.
I've have the same problem, I switched the setting to other tire so I wouldn't get the warning anymore. When I brought the car in for the break in service I asked to have it addressed, after the service I drove off and it happened again.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
quibbs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Tesla MS '18 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaboy View Post
I've have the same problem, I switched the setting to other tire so I wouldn't get the warning anymore. When I brought the car in for the break in service I asked to have it addressed, after the service I drove off and it happened again.
I noticed when I set the system to summer 20" it would only give a warning if the system detected a tire with a psi under 34.

I am wondering and somewhat hopeful that my lane keeping issue is tire pressure related. I had the dealer check the alignment and they said it definitely needed alignment, which they did. I didn't notice much of a difference afterwards. The car pulled a little less to the left I suppose.

The manager did tell me when they first received the car he was moving it to the back and went over a bump and the car made a big thunk. He said he later realized they hadn't taken out the shipping blocks yet. I guess I am a little paranoid they did some damage and that's why the car may seem to need so many little corrections when I am going down the highway to stay centered.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #4
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

This is a software issue. I just went through it. My car all of a sudden started displaying low tire pressure warnings. When I checked the tire settings Idrive was stating I needed a cold pressure of 42psi. Uh yeah no that's not right. I called the dealer and they said it needed a software update and it was a new problem they were starting to see. Software update did correct it.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

this is my biggest complaint with the car.
20" summers here, i like the ride better around 34-36 psi, but the low tire warning is annoying.

couldnt find a way around it.

raised it to 42-44 psi and living with a bumpy ride.
      08-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtenedio View Post
this is my biggest complaint with the car.
20" summers here, i like the ride better around 34-36 psi, but the low tire warning is annoying.

couldnt find a way around it.

raised it to 42-44 psi and living with a bumpy ride.
The pressure is not supposed to be that high. You need a software update to fix the low pressure warning.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

I was running 33 all round originally, and found when pushing the car 36 cold is the way to go, at least imo., Much more stable and planted at high speed corners. Cheers.
Appreciate 0