BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2024, 08:50 AM   #1
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Intermittent wiper error

After having the windshield replaced by Safelite, a 'wiping function error' message would be displayed upon activating intermittent wiping, and the intermittent wiping action was inconsistent in its response. Inspecting the area of the rain sensor, I could see what appeared to a 'bubble' between the sensor and inside surface of the windshield.

Taking it back to Safelite, they indicated there is a pad surrounding the sensor that had not been fully pressed into place. They di so and, visually, it looked better.

Since then, upon activating intermittent wiping, after one or two cycles of the wiper blades, the error message displays for about 20 seconds, then goes away. The intermittent wiping action appears to function normally.

Is it possible this is a case of a stored error message being displayed, rather than an indication of an actual error, that could be resolved by simply clearing error codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 01:56 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I wouldn't think so, likely a bubble or crease in the gel pack. Mine developed a bubble about 3 months after getting a new windshield from Safelite, they evidently reused the old pack rather that replacing with a new. Ended up having my dealer put in a new gel pad and recalibrate the cameras. They were nice and only charged me for the gel pack and through in the labor for free.