BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    !! 2018 BMW M5 Price (U.S.) starts at $102,600 and USA Military Price Released !!

11-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #89
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
I'm going to pass on replacing my F10 M5 with a new one. Nothing too exciting except for AWD. Seems like a pretty lazy job from BMW by not replacing the engine. 6 figure starting price is not a killer and may be justifiable with the inclusion of AWD but the fact they just didn't do a new engine seems like the intent is not to keep these cars cutting edge but a cash cow for the mothership....
Good man. Better to buy an F90 used in the future if we really want one. For $150k, there's a lot better cars out there to be had. I wonder how much used 2017 NSX's are going for these days?
Actually for $150k, you could even pick up a brand new 2018 Aston Vantage which starts production in Spring of 2018. The new Vantage was just released today and starts at exactly $150k. 7spd manual transmission coming and is almost as light as a 911.
IMO Aston ruined the vantage.

New grille and headlights look totally unfinished. Reminds me a little bit of a n MX5 Miata.

Same way the db9 was a better looking car than the db11. Perfection doesn?t need an overhaul - it needs minor updates to stay current, and nothing more.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #90
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Quote:
US Military Officers with many years in, say about over 12 years, make very very good money, and can easily afford a $130k BMW M5. But they are very few. Most US Military have wives and kids they must take care of and don't really have the extra cash to buy a nice car.

But don't forget about US Diplomats too. A seasoned Diplomat at say the GS-14 pay scale or above also make excellent money. Diplomats also get a lot of Cost of Living adjustments for whatever country their in. But unless your a Diplomat who happens to be stationed in a nice Westernized 1st world country, you won't be really buying a new M5. Diplomats in Rwanda for example, won't be getting an M5 to drive around in that country. Although some Diplomats do indeed buy a car with their discount and then ship it back to the States to drive later when they get back, which I think doesn't make much sense either because as a career Diplomat your only option of going back to the US is going back to Washington DC which is a horrible area for owning any fast car.
There is nothing wrong with owning a nice car in the DC area, why would you state that? And with DC surrounded by the richest counties in america you see many of them. 6 figure range rovers are the common soccer mom vehicle.
I should really correct my statement, I should have said fast car and not nice car. But one could consider a Cadillac Escalade a nice car which is perfectly fine to own in an area like DC.

Tons of reasons. I lived there for three years with the F10 M5.

Winter. You should have seen the amount of corrosion damage underneath my M5 from the salted roads from 3 winters.

The police. In all surrounding areas they are horrible. DC has the worst speeding cameras. Maryland cops are no joke. Virginia cops and laws are the absolute worst out of all 50 states. Pennsylvania isn't that bad but you have to drive far to get there.

Car culture. Not nearly as many car enthusiasts as on the West Coast. Plus the biggest enthusiasts are the type who like to attend H2O in Ocean City. But if Hellaflush is your thing then whatever floats your boat.

The roads. Worst roads in the entire country. I bent every single one of my M5 Wheels. Destroyed a tire due to a pothole the size of a basketball in the middle of the freeway too.

Seasons. Winter has too much snow and summer is too humid. Humidity is horrible for engine/turbo performance. There's really only about 4 weeks of nice driving weather in the Spring and 4 weeks in the Fall for the entire year.

Traffic. It can easily take an hour to drive 10 miles the traffic is so bad there.

No where to drive a car like an M5. The best place to really stretch the legs of a car with big power like an M5 is out East of DC. Western Maryland, West Virginia, SW Pennsylvania, but those places are about a 2 hour drive away. Skyline is actually one of the very best roads I have ever seen but it's ruined by all of the slow sightseeing cars and also by the strict enforcement of speed by park rangers. So Skyline it's a wash.

I honestly had more fun in my Fiat Abarth there in the DC Metro area than I could ever have in the M5.

About the best advantage of owning a new F90 M5 in that area is now it has AWD so you can drive it in the snow easier rather than having to put snow tires on the F10 M5, which was totally doable. But one should definitely equip the F90 with snow tires if driving in the snow too.
True story brother. Add to that a retarded speed limit of 55 mph in most freeways/ state roads around the metro. And too many drivers who can't fcking adhere to common decencies like moving over if you're the slower vehicle in the left lane.

Hell, I almost got a reckless for going 78 in a 55 on I-66 when I felt like "opening up" my F10 one time. Fortunately the cop turned out to be a good guy and let me off with a milder ticket because I had a spotless record. Well, that's gone.

#rantover
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #91
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
I personally feel the best two BMW's coming out soon will be the M340i and the ///M8 Coupe. I still feel like the M2 is not a full-fledged M car. But that's just me.
M2 with Carbon fiber roof + CFRP driveshaft + S55= proper M car.

Hope this is how M2 CS turns out.
      11-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #92
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
I personally feel the best two BMW's coming out soon will be the M340i and the ///M8 Coupe. I still feel like the M2 is not a full-fledged M car. But that's just me.
M2 with Carbon fiber roof + CFRP driveshaft + S55= proper M car.

Hope this is how M2 CS turns out.
I disagree. They can put all the stuff they want on it, but until they give it ///M side view mirrors, it won't be a proper M car. Even the 1///M stole the side mirrors from the E92 M3, at least they tried with that car.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #93
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
I disagree. They can put all the stuff they want on it, but until they give it ///M side view mirrors, it won't be a proper M car. Even the 1///M stole the side mirrors from the E92 M3, at least they tried with that car.
Probably gonna slap F82 M4 side mirrors, just like they did on F90 M5.
      12-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #94
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Shame on a company that loses sight of why it was making money in the first place. As I said, I don't mind paying six figures for M5 but the fact that this is such a lazy attempt on a new car, shame on BMW. Frankly, MB cars seem a lot more exciting now. Certainly that's a brand not scared of venturing into crazy.
that's fine. go and design the next m5. people are really quick to jump to conclusions when they don't like something. if you can make the m5 300lbs lighter, all cf parts, a v10, and god's steering then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #95
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Quote:
Shame on a company that loses sight of why it was making money in the first place. As I said, I don't mind paying six figures for M5 but the fact that this is such a lazy attempt on a new car, shame on BMW. Frankly, MB cars seem a lot more exciting now. Certainly that's a brand not scared of venturing into crazy.
that's fine. go and design the next m5. people are really quick to jump to conclusions when they don't like something. if you can make the m5 300lbs lighter, all cf parts, a v10, and god's steering then go for it.
I write the check. They design the car. Not the other way around.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0