BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    rpm stuttering / fuel pump?

06-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #1
daschacka
Private
Rep
Drives: M5Competition

rpm stuttering / fuel pump?

Hi guys,
lately on my 18comp 39000km
the rpm is stuttering on idle a little bit after i drive a little bit and want to drive again on engine start.

video here:
https://www.veed.io/view/1de14060-b9...ingWidget=true

is this fuel pump ive read sometimes?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 12:06 AM   #2
Mtkieu
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 m5

hello i have the same problem but because no one can fix it for me so the problem getting worse. Sometime mine will turn off right away when i start it
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtkieu View Post
hello i have the same problem but because no one can fix it for me so the problem getting worse. Sometime mine will turn off right away when i start it
Have you taken the car to BMW for diagnosis?
Appreciate 1
Mtkieu0.00
      07-29-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
Mtkieu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
I did but they said they can't find any problems with car because sometimes it doesn't happen
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 07:25 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I did but they said they can't find any problems with car because sometimes it doesn't happen
Are you getting a CEL after this occurs? If so, once the car dies, use an OBD scanner and see what codes it shows before turning the car on again. At least you can tell your dealer/mechanic.

Others have said this to you I see, but it does sound like it could be your high pressure fuel pump; I had an issue with left side one and the car died only 1000 miles into my pre-LCI base at high speeds, and forced the car into limp mode. Replacing it prevented it from ever occurring again.
      07-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #6
Mtkieu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Are you getting a CEL after this occurs? If so, once the car dies, use an OBD scanner and see what codes it shows before turning the car on again. At least you can tell your dealer/mechanic.

Others have said this to you I see, but it does sound like it could be your high pressure fuel pump; I had an issue with left side one and the car died only 1000 miles into my pre-LCI base at high speeds, and forced the car into limp mode. Replacing it prevented it from ever occurring again.
No engine light show up but may i ask how much it's cost for replacing fuel pump??
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 07:46 PM   #7
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No engine light show up but may i ask how much it's cost for replacing fuel pump??
I couldn't tell you for sure because mine was done under warranty; I had only had the car for a few weeks.

There are many members who are infinitely more knowledgeable than me about this. But if I am seeing the right part, a quick Google search shows the OE Bosch one between $700 and $1200 for cylinders 1 through 4. I honestly have no idea what the labor of installing this entails, but I know it took the dealer at least a few hours from start to finish.
      07-29-2022, 07:50 PM   #8
Mtkieu
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't tell you for sure because mine was done under warranty; I had only had the car for a few weeks.

There are many members who are infinitely more knowledgeable than me about this. But if I am seeing the right part, a quick Google search shows the OE Bosch one between $700 and $1200 for cylinders 1 through 4. I honestly have no idea what the labor of installing this entails, but I know it took the dealer at least a few hours from start to finish.
Ok ty
Appreciate 0