BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Car serviced turbo sound reduced

09-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
F90mfunf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [10.00]
Got a service last week at dealer under warranty, they replaced air filters, I have dinan turbo inlets and before the service at 5-6k rpm I was getting a turbo whine (sounded like a whale) now it's gone, today I had charcoal filters and air filters removed, I had bmc filters installed and now the car sounds 10x better but still no turbo whine. I also have an eisenmann race exhaust and lower dp, no tune. Does anyone know if the dealer may have performed some kind of software update to detune for emissions? It's an LCI if that makes a difference.
Also the dealer over torqued one of the rear wheels, cut the edge of the rubber trim off one of the air filters by not installing it into the intake box correctly and left a bolt on the front brake caliper loose, idiots, lucky I had the brake pads changed today otherwise I wouldn't of known. (Image below; Oem air filter installed by dealer service department)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Dealers are lucky. They can do crappy work and be overpaid for it. You must not be bringing enough bottles of whiskey to your service advisor…. I wound learn to DIY.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2022, 09:02 PM   #3
F90mfunf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Dealers are lucky. They can do crappy work and be overpaid for it. You must not be bringing enough bottles of whiskey to your service advisor…. I wound learn to DIY.
Sounds about right I'm done with dealer service even though I have a maintenance plan it's too much of a headache
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 07:18 AM   #4
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Others have reported dealers updating software and ending up with a more muted exhaust sound. I have read the posts asking about this but don’t know any more. It must have to do with controlling the exhaust flaps under some conditions and reducing the burbles under other conditions. You can buy a flash tune like BM3 that will let you customize the burbles and flaps to some degree, and BM3 gives the option of using a stock Competition tune if you don’t want anything more aggressive. But the engine warranty could be voided.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 06:50 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Others have reported dealers updating software and ending up with a more muted exhaust sound. I have read the posts asking about this but don’t know any more. It must have to do with controlling the exhaust flaps under some conditions and reducing the burbles under other conditions. You can buy a flash tune like BM3 that will let you customize the burbles and flaps to some degree, and BM3 gives the option of using a stock Competition tune if you don’t want anything more aggressive. But the engine warranty could be voided.
This happened to me on my pre-LCI base. I complained to my SA who took me to the shop foreman, who is also the dealership's M Master Tech. We went for a drive and I showed him at what points I should be having more sound that wasn't there. He looked at me like I was crazy and told me to drive it for a few days and see if it improved. I spontaneously ended up trading the car for my new M5 a week later, so I never followed up and couldn't confirm the cause. But this happening to many owners is a definite reality.
      11-27-2022, 10:21 PM   #6
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

When we picked up our M5 I removed charcoal filters second week we had it. One of my filters, drivers side to be exact looked exactly like yours. I think some techs get lazy, want to move to the next task and are trying to cut timer by trying to install those filters without removing those braces that go around intake tubes ripping them on the process. I might be mistaken but it seems to be the only way to screw it up. I took a photo send it to our SA they apologized told us to bring car in and replaced both at no charge.
Appreciate 0