F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > B16 shock excessive moment and jumping
Studio RSR

06-06-2023, 01:57 PM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

B16 shock excessive moment and jumping

Had some knocking over rough tarmac at low speeds first thing in a morning so I booked the car in for inspection. On my way I was 80% full lock going right on a roundabout (RHD) when I felt the suspension jump as if the spring was binding. Luckily I was about 5 minutes from the shop so I was able to leave it with them.

Arms, drop links and monoball bushings are all fine.

Steering rack fix was completed less than 10k miles ago and appears to still be fine.

Finally they found excessive play in the front right wheel station at 6 and 12 o'clock angles. They followed the movement and found it was present in the coilover itself, funnily enough they did highlight how the spring was almost binding and clunking (on release) shortly after I installed my B16's back in June 2021. However at the time they felt it was a bad design flaw by Bilstein as many other BMW's running their kits had been spotted with similar "characteristics".

They suspect the noise is coming from that, under load it is apparently leaning quite a substantial amount and so they have advised I check my warranty with Bilstein.

My question is to other Bilstein owners on here.. have you ever found there to be a strange amount of play in your front right shock? I recall reading someones post about how their shock moves and almost pops back into place but I can no longer find the thread.

Either way I have contacted the original shop who sold me the kit, I have 3 days left of my 2 year warranty so they have filed a case and asked for strong evidence last time I dealt with Bilstein CS they were extremely arrogant asking me not to contact them until I received my parts back and told me not to waste my time emailing them lol.. even though I had been waiting for 3 months.

06-07-2023, 12:32 PM   #2
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I had the b16 for a few months, yes, they developed a clunk up front just after a few weeks I couldn't get rid of. I really don't know what it was. Replaced strut top hats as that sounded like where it was coming from, still noise. I also couldn't get them low enough. During the fourth time I was reinstalling them I got a little aggravated and decided to use an impact gun on the shock nut, which they say not to do, and yeah I blew the threads right off of the shock rod and ruined the kit.

So then I bought a set of KW v3s which are a similar but really a great kit, you should give that a look instead. I still have the b16 kit sitting here, the one needs repaired and their customer service wasn't terribly helpful, need to try again. I've been running the v3s for a while now almost 50k miles and all positive review.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 04:23 PM   #3
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
I had the b16 for a few months, yes, they developed a clunk up front just after a few weeks I couldn't get rid of. I really don't know what it was. Replaced strut top hats as that sounded like where it was coming from, still noise. I also couldn't get them low enough. During the fourth time I was reinstalling them I got a little aggravated and decided to use an impact gun on the shock nut, which they say not to do, and yeah I blew the threads right off of the shock rod and ruined the kit.

So then I bought a set of KW v3s which are a similar but really a great kit, you should give that a look instead. I still have the b16 kit sitting here, the one needs repaired and their customer service wasn't terribly helpful, need to try again. I've been running the v3s for a while now almost 50k miles and all positive review.
did you do EDC delete?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 11:46 PM   #4
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Non-edc car always, but I would gladly delete if equipped
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 05:22 AM   #5
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post

Quite interesting as the garage noticed my O/S threads were also quite worn (last time they rebuilt them) they said the washer looked as if it had a fair amount of room to move about and was causing minor damage to the threads over time.

I would love to go KW's but even for a similar kit (V2's) that's over £2,000. I spent £1600 on the B16's to last less than 2 years - I guess my only hope is that they fully replace both fronts, I swallow the £2k KW bill and try sell my old B16's as used to recoup a little money.