BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Should PPF be noticeable?

10-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #1
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Should PPF be noticeable?

I just got my 22 M5C and debating on how to protect it. On my white F10, I did PPF on all the forward facing surfaces. It yellowed over time and it bunched up in some corners so It was a bit of an eyesore. On my 2018 F90, I just did a ceramic coating with no PPF and it looked fine after 3 years so kind of leaning towards that again.

But just curious with everyone else's experience with PPF. I know the installer makes a difference, but I had a different installer wrap my wife's car and I can see edges here and there as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I have full PPF on mine and no, I don't notice it. The edges are wrapped over the panel, so it's impossible to see them.

I vote for PPF. It's self-healing and protection is what I like the most (and what the ceramic coating lacks lol)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #3
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
If you're doing the matte PPF like Xpel stealth, a good installer will guide you to not tuck it under because it is possible for it to come out and pull up. Thus it will be noticeable when you're close up. It's perfectly fine to tuck in the Ultimate but some areas you don't want to tuck Ultimate as well for the same reasons. Either way make sure you go with an installer that really knows what they are doing so they can tuck in as much as possible without the fear of it pulling up later on.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
Ptoscano911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I just did Suntek PPF on whole front bumper / lights, and panels behind front wheels and rears
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #5
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

I just had PPF and Ceramic applied on my 2022 Comp. I did not do this on my 2019 and wish I had. The different is huge. I did the track pack with my installer for the PPF which included the entire front end, rockers, mirrors, door handles, wheel arches, etc..Then Ceramic the entire car. They tucked the edges of the PPF. If I look very closely I can see the wrapped edges but you have to know what you are looking for. The film my installer uses has a 10year warranty against color fading.
Appreciate 0