BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    [EU] M5 2021C - Exhaust sound - OPF Delete module experience?

07-20-2021, 04:06 AM   #1
Workaholic
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp xDrive 2024

[EU] M5 2021C - Exhaust sound - OPF Delete module experience?

For the EU M5 2020/2021 facelift owners: Has anybody tried the OPF delete modules yet?

As mentioned in other threads the new M5 LCI sounds like a 4cl in idle after the cold start. It's really sad and I miss the emotion that I had with my previous m4.

With these OPF delete modules you should be able to remove the OPF part of the exhaust and it should give you a better sound. Risk is of course the warranty - but depending on how they modify I suppose I should be able to re-attach the OPF part of the exhaust (what do you think?)

General info:
https://www.leib-engineering.de/en/l...ter-bmw-m5-f90

PDF instructions with more technical details:
https://www.leib-engineering.de/medi...TER_EBA_EN.pdf

Hopefully somebody already has experience with this? An alternative is Manhart but they charge double:
https://www.manhart-performance.de/s...with-opf?c=226
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 04:18 AM   #2
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

I think it very much depends on the sound you are looking for ?. If you are after big bangs etc, even removing the OPFs won’t solve this on the EU LCI. If you are after just more V8 goodness, this could very well be just the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 04:49 AM   #3
Workaholic
Rep

Thanks Simon. I know the ECU won't allow pops and bangs.. but do you think the sound will be much different / louder? Hopefully somebody has already tried these changes willing to record a video and share experience
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

For UK owners only, my mate who has the 2019 M5 has removed the OPF part of the Exhaust system and had the back part of the exhaust gutted out, got pulled for excess noise on the A47 Sunday
Not sure what the fine will be, they also said they will be keeping an eye out for his car in future (as he's local) to make sure it's quieter!!!!
NANNY STATE ..........here all ready.
PS) was let off speeding around 83 MPH he says.
      07-20-2021, 06:19 AM   #5
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Thanks Simon. I know the ECU won't allow pops and bangs.. but do you think the sound will be much different / louder? Hopefully somebody has already tried these changes willing to record a video and share experience
It will definitely be slightly louder, for sure. The tone will be also slightly deeper, but i havent actually, physically heard one in person, so im just surmising. My plan of action would be, to gut the OPFs, if indeed these cheaters actually work, and swap the rear silencer too, this would give you some extra. You dont want to go over the top etc.
The other option of course, is to wait until there is a bonafide remap for the LCI, and go that route, and have everything you want sound wise, but no warranty. No easy solution on this one im afraid.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #6
M5C_Uber_Alles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 comp

I know I’m preaching to the choir but this is so ridiculous. My M5C sounds hardly any better than my wife’s Expedition unless I just lay on the throttle I’ll get some nice pops. So sad that such an amazing car sounds so subdued and it’s not even something you can easily remedy by swapping out parts since it’s in the mapping as well and I’m not going to void my warranty yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

GPOWER recommended me to use this if I use their exhaust without OPF so I suppose this boxes work - Manhart one for sure.

I have no idea what noise it makes without OPF - I am planing to install this in my F95 since mine is EU Model too.

So let us know for difference if you apply OPF Removal Mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:59 AM   #8
Workaholic
Rep

Thanks for the feedback all - I'm still not sure if I am going to do it or not based on two reasons:

1) It's a brand new car worth 200k EUR. This would void my warranty and with only 5000KM that doesn't feel right. I'm not a mechanic but I would think that if they remove the OPF part of the exhaust and replace it with something "blank" I could put it back if needed for warranty? What do you think?

2) There is limited to no experience out there with this, if it does work without computer faults (also after a software update) - I am curious how much sound difference it will actually provide.

Costs are aprox 1500 euro to replace opf, exchange middle part (no idea what they mean with this - i guess to replace the OPF part) and deliver/install the modules.

Hopefully we can keep this thread active and share experience
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback all - I'm still not sure if I am going to do it or not based on two reasons:

1) It's a brand new car worth 200k EUR. This would void my warranty and with only 5000KM that doesn't feel right. I'm not a mechanic but I would think that if they remove the OPF part of the exhaust and replace it with something "blank" I could put it back if needed for warranty? What do you think?

2) There is limited to no experience out there with this, if it does work without computer faults (also after a software update) - I am curious how much sound difference it will actually provide.

Costs are aprox 1500 euro to replace opf, exchange middle part (no idea what they mean with this - i guess to replace the OPF part) and deliver/install the modules.

You could do ECE 200-cell HJS downpipes with an ECE exhaust combo that still leaves the filters in place.
      08-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #10
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

Quote:

I also do same questions to my self I want to try OPF removal in my F95, full exhausts without downpipes cost very much I wanted to try G POWER Exhaust but they don't have in stock then after searching in eBay I saw that our cars exhausts are cheap than buying something extra like Akrapovic or something so maybe its better idea to cut OPF from main exhaust and replace with welding some pipe there instead and apply the cheaters of OPF and in future can buy another exhaust from eBay in case of reverting to stock.

Or better option to buy an used exhaust and play with it and wait for ECU flash so can try more things like stage 2 or something ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #11
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

I have the OPF and secondary cats removed on a 21' M550. The Leib pressure sensor leads stop limp mode from kicking in over 3000rpm and the OBD2 box kills off the check engine lights on the dash. It just works!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #12
morefree
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f30

I can block him programmatically
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #13
raab_
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: M5C F90 LCI

I will install it in couple of days, I'm just waiting for a link pipe from Akrapovic. So it'll be Akra link pipe without opf and Akra catback. I hope it will work.
How it sounds now is a mistake.
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #14
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab_ View Post
I will install it in couple of days, I'm just waiting for a link pipe from Akrapovic. So it'll be Akra link pipe without opf and Akra catback. I hope it will work.
How it sounds now is a mistake.
Good work raab, let us know how you get on, and most importantly, how it sounds. I think there are a few waiting to hear of someone making the effort to do this .
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #15
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

Installed it - no CEL/limp mode but my pops and bangs are gone.

Last edited by bpma; 10-06-2021 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #16
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpma View Post
Installed it - no CEL/limp mode but my pops and bangs are gone. Support is non-exsitent, Leib doesn't respond to emails, phone is dead as well. I'm super disappointed.
Is your car an EU LCI car, and did it pop and bang before fitting this ?. Sorry to hear this.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:46 AM   #17
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

Just wanted to set the record straight here, got called by a person for Leib and they offered a solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:07 AM   #18
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

I'm confused @bpma? I thought over run fuelling was responsible for 'bangs', How are Leib suggesting they impact that? PS: They are very responsive on Facebook chat.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:56 AM   #19
Workaholic
Rep

I am also interested to learn what the experiences are BPMA - I am assuming you have a EU car? I'm based in the Netherlands and my dealer does not want to support me with this request
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:02 PM   #20
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Removing OPF will affect the emissions test?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 01:25 AM   #21
raab_
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: M5C F90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Removing OPF will affect the emissions test?
Yes it will
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #22
TimmyBHGM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
I have the OPF and secondary cats removed on a 21' M550. The Leib pressure sensor leads stop limp mode from kicking in over 3000rpm and the OBD2 box kills off the check engine lights on the dash. It just works!
It's good to hear it works! The OBD box, do you mean the CAN MIL deleter on the website?Also, could you briefly describe how and where does the wire on the OBD box connects to? Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0