BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)    Car wash - what to watch out for?

04-09-2021, 06:01 AM   #23
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
Just got my M5C with Tanzanite Blue which I hear scratches very easily. Not going to go through those automated car washes. But we have a couple car washes in the area where guys with blue rags wipe down your car after hosing it down with soapy water. But how do I know that's safe for the paint? What if their rags are scratchy? I don't want to end up with swirls in the paint.

They also offer waxing. Is this even safe for the paint?
The clear coat in this gen paint is cured a different way and is softer. Will definitely get swirls no matter who washes it, period. There's no amount of babying this paint to avoid swirls. I learned this lesson the hard way.

You'll have to at least do ceramic x2 coats and/or ppf. Or live with swirls. Also these wheels get super dusty in less than 10 miles so cleaning them will be a very frequent task.

Ceramic and/or ppf will be your best bet, then you can get an unlimited wash pass from a hand wash spot in the South Bay and go weekly or more. I've got a hand wash spot here in the Peninsula that I take my rides to at least weekly. (Yes I have time on my hands).

Good luck!
This is a great point. I researched PPF and I think I'm sold. After PPF I can go to most hand car washes and not worry that they're going to mess up my paint.
I ceramic and PPF all my cars, leased or otherwise. I lived in Manhattan for a long time, and it was a godsend. For full ceramic, and most of the car covered in film, I pay about $3500 on average, but ymmv. Totally worth it imho

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #24
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Towels will swirl the paint, clean or not.
Never wipe the paint dry. Forced air is the better method.

Hand wash yourself or get a professional detailer.

PPF and paint coating will improve the durability to a degree, but even paint coatings can get swirls. You still must take care of you want pristine paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:38 AM   #25
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

This is something I have ponder recently as I have read discussions of scratches and swirl marks after using microfiber towels. I have washed and polished my own cars for years with good results. So when people say do not dry with microfiber but use a blower, how do they remove wax and polish?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #26
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
This is something I have ponder recently as I have read discussions of scratches and swirl marks after using microfiber towels. I have washed and polished my own cars for years with good results. So when people say do not dry with microfiber but use a blower, how do they remove wax and polish?
Paint coatings do not get waxed or polished.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #27
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Paint coatings do not get waxed or polished.
Thanks but I did not mean to indicate I wax or polish ceramic coatings. I was referring to cars without PPF or ceramic coating.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #28
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Yes watch out for the car wash all of them. If they don’t dAmage the car they will swirl it up and use harsh chemicals on the wheels and paint.

Find a guy to do a proper 2 bucket wash or perhaps do it yourself. I do mine because I like it clean and swirl free. I realize I’m not the norm.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 06:24 AM   #29
rs1987
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI, S1000XR

The only way if you don't want to do it yourself is to take the car to a professional detailer, but that gets really expensive after a while.

If you plan to do it yourself, first get the car ceramic coated with a hydrophobic topping. Invest in a decent pressure washer (like a Kranzle), a decent foam gun, a Mastervac Master Blaster to blow dry the car (never wipe it dry), two buckets and a lambswool mitt. Then look at a couple of youtube videos on how to wash a car without scratching the paintwork.

Basically, the process is to rinse with the pressure washer, snow foam (all products are definitely not made equal - some are bad), rinse again (I usually snow foam twice), then double bucket wash, then blow dry.

Like others, I refuse the dealer car washes. In fact, I've never let anyone other than myself wash the car...I just don't trust others to do it properly
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #30
BMWF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeep Trackhawk

Go to an automated car wash that has ZERO touch, then take it home fill a bucket with water and Optimum No Rinse and wipe it down. Twice a year use a paint sealant, and top that off with a good wax. Then just rewax it every 2 months (after washing it) or so, and it will look brand new and will have no scratches.
Appreciate 0