BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M Performance or Akrapovic exhaust for M5 CS?

11-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #45
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymelo238 View Post
Yeah well I got the FI exhaust for my m5cs already so when my car comes I will be one of the guys to let you know if it fits 😊
Do you have the car and exhaust yet?

Would really like to hear how it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:42 PM   #46
Jaymelo238
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian ///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymelo238 View Post
Yeah well I got the FI exhaust for my m5cs already so when my car comes I will be one of the guys to let you know if it fits 😊
Do you have the car and exhaust yet?

Would really like to hear how it sounds.
Not yet still waiting patiently! Will definitely post once car is here and exhaust is installed!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #47
Camarejh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Akra doesn't have an exhaust for the M5 CS as yet. Apparently you cannot use the same exhaust for the regular M5 Competition. I called and asked and that's what they said.

In the mean time the M Performance Titanium is ready and can be used immediately.
Of course you cant use akra exhaust for the competition on the CS. They are going to build a system for the CS and they are going to be identical but stamp CS on it and charge double the price because they know only a few people who actually own a CS are going to buy it. A new "CS" tax
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:09 AM   #48
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarejh View Post
Quote:
Akra doesn't have an exhaust for the M5 CS as yet. Apparently you cannot use the same exhaust for the regular M5 Competition. I called and asked and that's what they said.

In the mean time the M Performance Titanium is ready and can be used immediately.
Of course you cant use akra exhaust for the competition on the CS. They are going to build a system for the CS and they are going to be identical but stamp CS on it and charge double the price because they know only a few people who actually own a CS are going to buy it. A new "CS" tax
Actually update on my previous talks with Akrapovic. They are now selling same exhaust for M5 CS for the same price and it fits the same.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #49
Camarejh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarejh View Post
Quote:

Actually update on my previous talks with Akrapovic. They are now selling same exhaust for M5 CS for the same price and it fits the same.
Oh thats great news!
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #50
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Just found this. Is this an accurate representation? Seem too loud to be street legal…

That’s miked at the outlets.

My 21 M5C sounds exactly like this standing behind it and like that on the road if I go into 3rd gear at 3200 rpm and let off the gas quickly.

I have the titanium MPE.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:27 AM   #51
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Can I use my comp exhaust tips on the MPE. I rather not do carbon tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #52
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
Oh come now, half the awesomeness of the MP exhaust is the carbon fiber tips!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 08:06 PM   #53
PDOT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDOT View Post
Oh come now, half the awesomeness of the MP exhaust is the carbon fiber tips!
Nope. I like the gloss black
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #54
CarEnthusiast29
Rep
Drives: 22BMW M5CS 2021 LamboSVJ Rdstr

I ordered the Akropovic for my CS, I'll post pics and sound clips once it's in and on.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #55
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
I had the MPE installed to my CS yesterday along with some secondary DP's. Here's some vids. I'll make more as I get through break in.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #56
TAHB
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5CS

Garage List
2022 BMW M5 CS  [9.75]
Does anyone know the weight savings of the MPE over stock?

Akrapovic lists a weight savings of 21 lbs over stock on their site.

Stock: 63.8 lbs
Akrapovic: 43 lbs
MPE: ???
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 03:18 AM   #57
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHB View Post
Does anyone know the weight savings of the MPE over stock?

Akrapovic lists a weight savings of 21 lbs over stock on their site.

Stock: 63.8 lbs
Akrapovic: 43 lbs
MPE: ???
For sure somewhere closer to the stock weight than akra’s weight. The mpe only has a titanium muffler unlike akra which is full titanium.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #58
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5_mbb7 View Post
For sure somewhere closer to the stock weight than akra’s weight. The mpe only has a titanium muffler unlike akra which is full titanium.
MPE is full titanium, at least the current version is.

It's extremely light. Didn't weigh it but it was way lighter than the M Sport exhaust. I do know there was an older version that was not full Ti, but the current one is full Ti.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #59
eric97hoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
I had the MPE installed to my CS yesterday along with some secondary DP's. Here's some vids. I'll make more as I get through break in.

this sounds amazing thanks for posting m5 cs is noice

Previous BMW model 2018 bmw 340i FBO custom e50 tune 500 wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 02:53 AM   #60
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
MPE is full titanium, at least the current version is.

It's extremely light. Didn't weigh it but it was way lighter than the M Sport exhaust. I do know there was an older version that was not full Ti, but the current one is full Ti.
Oh wow. It is full Titanium now?That's good to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 05:28 AM   #61
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Oh wow. It is full Titanium now?That's good to know.
It’s not lol. Only the muffler is. This dude doesn’t know what he’s talking about 😂😂. It’s been the same exhaust - stainless steel with titanium muffler - since f90s came out in 2018. They didn’t update it to change piping to titanium midway. My guess is because steel is a safer metal than titanium because it expands less under heat. They likely couldn’t find a manufacturer to make safe titanium for an OE exhaust so they just made the piping steel. Unlike akra, which uses their own foundries and has been making exhausts for so long that they have the perfect alloys of titanium to not expand or risk any harmful expansion. BMW used to use akra as a manufacturer of their m performance exhausts but they switched to a different provider on the F90.

One telltale sign is the thermal expansion that an exhaust undergoes under heat. MPE doesn’t expand after the car has been ran hard. On the other hand my akra exhaust visibly expands about a half inch after being ran compared to when it’s cold.
Appreciate 3
Neptune71426.50
PDOT118.50
      03-29-2022, 12:36 PM   #62
MacLean_007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i, 23 M8 Comp GC

Hmmmm……I do believe the MPE is full titanium. I am having the MPE as a line item on my 23 M8 Comp GC. I know for a fact FSHNGRY has the MPE on his 21 M5 Comp.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #63
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
It’s not lol. Only the muffler is. This dude doesn’t know what he’s talking about ����. It’s been the same exhaust - stainless steel with titanium muffler - since f90s came out in 2018. They didn’t update it to change piping to titanium midway. My guess is because steel is a safer metal than titanium because it expands less under heat. They likely couldn’t find a manufacturer to make safe titanium for an OE exhaust so they just made the piping steel. Unlike akra, which uses their own foundries and has been making exhausts for so long that they have the perfect alloys of titanium to not expand or risk any harmful expansion. BMW used to use akra as a manufacturer of their m performance exhausts but they switched to a different provider on the F90.

One telltale sign is the thermal expansion that an exhaust undergoes under heat. MPE doesn’t expand after the car has been ran hard. On the other hand my akra exhaust visibly expands about a half inch after being ran compared to when it’s cold.
I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, I just have a CS with the MPE that I had ordered myself and installed. I sure didn't take off the stock exhaust and feel the obvious weight difference compared to the much much lighter Titanium MPE.

The exhaust piping is likely all the same material. Find me one source that states otherwise, other than yours and others opinions. I'll wait.

It's clearly false advertising for BMW to state "The BMW M Performance Titanium Exhaust System creates a sound that expresses its dynamic character even more strikingly." as well as have a title of "BMW M Performance Exhaust System - Titanium" if only 25% is Ti while the rest is not.

I have numerous titanium suppressors (gun silencers if you are unfamiliar) and none of them expand in any visual obvious capacity even when doing a few mag dumps, which gets the suppressor hotter than most exhausts would ever see. While titanium does have a higher rate of thermal expansion than steel, I find it hard to believe the metal could expand 25% every. single. time. you drive it somewhat hard. That constant high rate expansion and contracting would eventually cause a catastrophic failure.

Last edited by boost3dx; 03-29-2022 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 05:16 PM   #64
MacLean_007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i, 23 M8 Comp GC

Quote:
I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, I just have a CS with the MPE that I had ordered myself and installed. I sure didn't take off the stock exhaust and feel the obvious weight difference compared to the much much lighter Titanium MPE.

The exhaust piping is likely all the same material. Find me one source that states otherwise, other than yours and others opinions. I'll wait.

It's clearly false advertising for BMW to state "The BMW M Performance Titanium Exhaust System creates a sound that expresses its dynamic character even more strikingly." as well as have a title of "BMW M Performance Exhaust System - Titanium" if only 25% is Ti while the rest is not.

I have numerous titanium suppressors (gun silencers if you are unfamiliar) and none of them expand in any visual obvious capacity even when doing a few mag dumps, which gets the suppressor hotter than most exhausts would ever see. While titanium does have a higher rate of thermal expansion than steel, I find it hard to believe the metal could expand 25% every. single. time. you drive it somewhat hard. That constant high rate expansion and contracting would eventually cause a catastrophic failure.
I totally agree with you and I was scratching my head after reading his post.

You are definitely spot on about titanium suppressors and they can possibly get up to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit by dumping several 30 round mags rapidly. I have yet to see a Dead Air Sandman TI or Dead Air Nomad TI expand by 25%, or even expand. I have melted a suppressor wrap.
Appreciate 1
boost3dx580.50
      03-29-2022, 05:26 PM   #65
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLean_007 View Post
I totally agree with you and I was scratching my head after reading his post.

You are definitely spot on about titanium suppressors and they can possibly get up to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit by dumping several 30 round mags rapidly. I have yet to see a Dead Air Sandman TI or Dead Air Nomad TI expand by 25%, or even expand. I have melted a suppressor wrap.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:31 PM   #66
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Do the exhaust pipes glow blue after a drive? I've seen the titanium exhaust on an R8 do that.
Appreciate 0