BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    COVID 19 - looking for some positives

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #23
Ragazzi-07
Captain
Ragazzi-07's Avatar
Canada
217
Rep
659
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Stay safe everyone 🙏🏽
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #24
AlexFL
Major
1614
Rep
1,468
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

There is absolutely nothing, ZERO positive about this virus. This thing acts nothing like a flu, it's actually a very severe viral pneumonia. Even in patients who 'recover', X-Rays show permanent damage with scarred, fibrotic lung tissue. Please be reasonable, stay at home, avoid any unnecessary social contact.
Appreciate 2
BMWM5NYC369.50

      03-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #25
r33_RGSport
Lieutenant General
r33_RGSport's Avatar
United_States
5383
Rep
13,623
Posts

Drives: 997.1 C4S / F39 X2 / F97 X3MC
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (4)

Stay safe and stay healthy guys.
__________________
Email: sales@rgsport.com === IG: RGSport_USA
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #26
Gassy
Soporificist
134
Rep
303
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5- Rhodonite/Aragon
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Positives you ask.
I have never seen my wife clean the house more.
She is vacuuming, mopping and scrubbing everything, everyday.
Dam I never knew this was possible.
I come home and the house is spotless - I could only hope this becomes her new routine.
Funny thing- I met this really attractive woman in my house. She has a great personality and is funny to boot. She says she's my wife but I don't really remember...
__________________
2019 M5 Rhodonite Silver// 2016 M4- retired// 2011 750i- retired// 2004 740i- retired//
2001 740i- retired// 1998 M3- retired
Appreciate 1
AlexFL1614.00

      03-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #27
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
A Need For Speed's Avatar
309
Rep
492
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
There is absolutely nothing, ZERO positive about this virus. This thing acts nothing like a flu, it's actually a very severe viral pneumonia. Even in patients who 'recover', X-Rays show permanent damage with scarred, fibrotic lung tissue. Please be reasonable, stay at home, avoid any unnecessary social contact.
As an MD in the field in contact with others, I can tell you this is not what we are hearing. Pulmonary fibrosis can be the end result from many lung diseases and most assuredly this one as well but is NOT the end result in most patients that recover from Covid 19. Most patients do very well and do not need hospitalization. While some young people can be expected not to do well with any disease, the great majority of serious cases worldwide so far involve the elderly with other comorbidities (diseases) and the immunocompromised.
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #28
gblansten
Beandoc
gblansten's Avatar
United_States
926
Rep
3,446
Posts

Drives: 2020 M5 BS/AB
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
There is absolutely nothing, ZERO positive about this virus. This thing acts nothing like a flu, it's actually a very severe viral pneumonia. Even in patients who 'recover', X-Rays show permanent damage with scarred, fibrotic lung tissue. Please be reasonable, stay at home, avoid any unnecessary social contact.
I agree but there are numerous avenues that are being investigated to treat this disease and mitigate its worst effects. I remain hopeful that we can lessen the morbidity and mortality from it.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL1614.00

      03-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #29
AlexFL
Major
1614
Rep
1,468
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
As an MD in the field in contact with others, I can tell you this is not what we are hearing. Pulmonary fibrosis can be the end result from many lung diseases and most assuredly this one as well but is NOT the end result in most patients that recover from Covid 19.
Hearing from whom? Obviously, I am talking about people who develop a pneumonia, luckily a minor part of the total infected cohort. Fact is that we do not yet have any experience with recovered COVID-19 pneumonia patients in America. Have you read the newest Wuhan study (re-evaluated Ďrecoveredí COVID pneumonia patients) in Lancet? Have you studied the long-term outcomes in recovered SARS and MERS patients? I can provide you a list of references, if interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #30
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
A Need For Speed's Avatar
309
Rep
492
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Hearing from whom? Obviously, I am talking about people who develop a pneumonia, luckily a minor part of the total infected cohort. Fact is that we do not yet have any experience with recovered COVID-19 pneumonia patients in America. Have you read the newest Wuhan study (re-evaluated ‘recovered’ COVID pneumonia patients) in Lancet? Have you studied the long-term outcomes in recovered SARS and MERS patients? I can provide you a list of references, if interested.
Colleagues across the country. Not interested in an argument. No real data to support pulmonary fibrosis in routine recovered patients. Long term data on SARS and MERS has little to do with current situation. You can believe the 24 hour news cycle hysteria if you want. Facts over fear.
Appreciate 1
onfireX52808.50

      03-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #31
AlexFL
Major
1614
Rep
1,468
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
Colleagues across the country. Not interested in an argument. No real data to support pulmonary fibrosis in routine recovered patients. Long term data on SARS and MERS has little to do with current situation. You can believe the 24 hour news cycle hysteria if you want. Facts over fear.
Yes, facts over fear. I am citing a top scientific journal, not Fox News. However, whether you believe scientific literature or not is irrelevant. I am not interested in an argument. My main message was to caution my fellow bimmer fans.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #32
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
A Need For Speed's Avatar
309
Rep
492
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Yes, facts over fear. I am citing a top scientific journal, not Fox News. However, whether you believe scientific literature or not is irrelevant. I am not interested in an argument. My main message was to caution my fellow bimmer fans.
However incompetent and inept Lancet is considered as a journal to most physicians, you are right it is better than the current media hysteria. I agree with your admonition for caution. All viral epidemics deserve that. Take care but we will emerge better for this. I hope the cost of the panic is not far higher than the cost of the virus but I fear we are already doomed in that regard.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #33
AlexFL
Major
1614
Rep
1,468
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
However incompetent and inept Lancet is considered as a journal to most physicians, you are right it is better than the current media hysteria. I agree with your admonition for caution. All viral epidemics deserve that. Take care but we will emerge better for this. I hope the cost of the panic is not far higher than the cost of the virus but I fear we are already doomed in that regard.
Lancet is a top 3 scientific journal for clinical research (along with the NEJM and Nature Medicine). I will stop here. It makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:04 PM   #34
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
A Need For Speed's Avatar
309
Rep
492
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Lancet is a top 3 scientific journal for clinical research (along with the NEJM and Nature Medicine). I will stop here. It makes no sense.

NEJM yes. Lancet and 'Nature Medicine' definitely no. Stop with the Internet MD bullshit. If you you are really in practice, you need to do some CME's. lol. Unless you have hard data, and that means good studies, please refrain from generalities.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #35
CanadianF90M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
83
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW F90 M5
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

Changing the topic to positive things, some of our favorite restaurants have closed their doors to clients but have left their kitchens open ... trying to support them the best we can, they are offering food orders at 20% off pickups and bottle of wine 50% off (while supplies last)
__________________
Previous: 2005 BMW E60 545
Appreciate 2
AlexFL1614.00
FloridaM5137.00

      03-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #36
AlexFL
Major
1614
Rep
1,468
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Need For Speed View Post
NEJM yes. Lancet and 'Nature Medicine' definitely no. Stop with the Internet MD bullshit. If you you are really in practice, you need to do some CME's. lol. Unless you have hard data, and that means good studies, please refrain from generalities.
Letís stop here. If you really want to discuss (not insult), you can PM me. Switching to cars topic. I think my modded X3 SUV is faster than your M5
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #37
floating.spirit
Private First Class
72
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Washington

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
That's where I would park my car too.
Yeah me too. And the brother's not taking any chances even though it's empty. Good call!
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #38
TrevorM3
Major General
1799
Rep
6,497
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianF90M5 View Post
Changing the topic to positive things, some of our favorite restaurants have closed their doors to clients but have left their kitchens open ... trying to support them the best we can, they are offering food orders at 20% off pickups and bottle of wine 50% off (while supplies last)


definitely will try and support the smaller stores/restaraunts. The big boys will always be around, not the small folk. We will have learned alot of lessons from this when it's all said and one. Unfortunately, we had to lose such a great amount of life, in return. Stay safe everyone.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL1614.00
Murphy33105.00

      03-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #39
Enzo Montana
Private First Class
Enzo Montana's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new york

iTrader: (0)

Toilet Paper inventory :)

https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #40
Enzo Montana
Private First Class
Enzo Montana's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: new york

iTrader: (0)

For the mothers

Appreciate 1
      03-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #41
Greer
Major
Greer's Avatar
477
Rep
1,103
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

During these scary and serious times I thought I might shed a bit of light on some positive news:

-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

So it's not all bad news. Let's care for each other and stay focused on safety of those most vulnerable.
d ones.
__________________
2019 F90 M5 Competition & 2019 M2 Competition
2017 F80 M3 Competition
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 6
AlexFL1614.00
Neptune7449.00
Egrunt194.50
onfireX52808.50

      03-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #42
amg55driver
Private First Class
45
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

stay home,
but if you need to go outside for an emergency, wear mask and gloves.
we are all in this together!

stay safe and healthy!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #43
mjr24
Captain
297
Rep
745
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin/Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
During these scary and serious times I thought I might shed a bit of light on some positive news:

-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

- Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

- Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

- A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

- Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

- Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

- Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

- Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

- Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

- 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

- A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

- A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

- Tulsa County's first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

- All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

- Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

So it's not all bad news. Let's care for each other and stay focused on safety of those most vulnerable.
d ones.
I’m one in the camp that this is way overblown. China has 5 times the population we do and they have this contained it appears (as they are reopening stuff after 2 months) yet people here think it’s going to be forever. I’m not saying they are lying about this pandemic, but they are going to drag the fear out for as long as they can. People here would not be happy if they just lost 1/3 of their investment savings for something that is over in a month. I mean, really, do any of you trust the media or our government anymore?
__________________
2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC (sold), 2013 CLS550 (sold), 2011 750LI (sold), 2008 M6 Cabrio (sold), 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 (sold), 2003 Mercedes SL500 (sold), 2000 Mercedes CL500 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #44
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
A Need For Speed's Avatar
309
Rep
492
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Iím one in the camp that this is way overblown. China has 5 times the population we do and they have this contained it appears (as they are reopening stuff after 2 months) yet people here think itís going to be forever. Iím not saying they are lying about this pandemic, but they are going to drag the fear out for as long as they can. People here would not be happy if they just lost 1/3 of their investment savings for something that is over in a month. I mean, really, do any of you trust the media or our government anymore?
The panic will cause a depression, not recession. Long haul ahead. Getting out of this market after many years. Good luck all.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST