BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion    BMW and Daimler in Talks to Potentially Co-Develop Vehicle Platforms

03-19-2019, 05:19 AM   #89
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I think the auto industry is in worse shape than what is being portrayed publicly and moves like this give us a little insight on what is really happening. This is a survival move. It is not the threat of EVs, yet, but that will be another factor in the coming years.
VW's MQB platform sharing manufacturing scheme is what is killing the industry IMO. They build 30 cars off of one chassis. Once computer controlled stability control was invented, chassis design is less important now, as handling can be tuned using software, which allows an "MQB" to exist. Great for business, bad for product diversity.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #90
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
honestly this would be insane, it would be over for evrey other car manufacturer imagine that shit! damn the car would be insane the best of both worlds, this is something you dream about happening not ever thinking it would become a reality wow!!!

edit

Driver assistance technology i feel should be shared across all platforms and makes this way it can be much more effective my loaner 2019 x5 almost got me rear ended because someone decided to poke there car out in an intersection while i was going straight which sent my x5 into a full on hard brake scenario. The other guy looked at me like wtf i wasnt gonna cut yoy off kinda look lolll...
I see that all the time. Someone aggressively noses out and then seem perplexed when I stop or slow down, as if I'm supposed to just assume every motorist will behave rationally. Assuming the worst of my fellow motorists in this type of scenario has saved me from a few potentially life altering situations.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:09 AM   #91
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Wow, I can't believe how ignorant some people are. Look at the facts: electric cars are relatively new to both BMW and Mercedes and it requires immense capital, and expertise to develop. Why not share some of those costs, especially considering the end product will be a more competent design. Toyota and Tesla have made large inroads so they are playing somewhat of a catch up game and teaming up makes sense. Competition is fierce and the amount of design points they need to take into consideration is insane.

People that are worried that it will lose its character are off kilter. They are not sharing suspension or styling design. It is an electric car, there is no inline 6 noise they need to maintain. Think strategically.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #92
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Wow, I can't believe how ignorant some people are. Look at the facts: electric cars are relatively new to both BMW and Mercedes and it requires immense capital, and expertise to develop. Why not share some of those costs, especially considering the end product will be a more competent design. Toyota and Tesla have made large inroads so they are playing somewhat of a catch up game and teaming up makes sense. Competition is fierce and the amount of design points they need to take into consideration is insane.

People that are worried that it will lose its character are off kilter. They are not sharing suspension or styling design. It is an electric car, there is no inline 6 noise they need to maintain. Think strategically.
Ford, Chrysler, and BMW worked under a joint venture partnership to develop an EV hybrid automatic transmission (similar in design to Honda's IMA concept) for large SUVs. The partnership IRAD was partially funded by the US Government. The transmission was used in Ford's and BMW hybrid SUVs. The newly-released 10-speed auto used in Ford's and GM's current large SUVs was co-developed by both companies. It is not uncommon for co-development of major subassemblies within the industry.
Appreciate 1
mecheng771005.00