BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    odd sounds

08-27-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
bluem2
Private
Rep
Drives: lbb m2

odd sounds

hi guys,

recently picked up my MBB with sports exhaust and really enjoy driving it. As I drive off and back into my apartment building, I noticed that the steering have a very faint "click" sound when turning small degrees to the left and right, furthermore, there is a "hiss" and squeaking sounds when turning, as if something is scratching against something. This is most evident in early mornings when surrounds are quiet at slow speeds. Can someone suggest what it may be? or does anyone have a similar issue ?
thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Yes I hear a click sound. We were setting it up on the hoist and had to do small left right steering and the steering rack clicks, i found it weird too.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
bluem2
Private
Rep

do you think that it could be something that needs to be looked at or nothing too serious for now?

do you have the hiss and scratching sound as well when turning at low speeds?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
marcvtec
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem2 View Post
do you think that it could be something that needs to be looked at or nothing too serious for now?

do you have the hiss and scratching sound as well when turning at low speeds?
I'm Leaving it be for now, I do have to go in for the fuel sensor recall , so I'll see what they say.

No hiss/scratch sound though.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
bluem2
Private
Rep

same here, will get them to check it out when I send it back for the break in service and also the fuel sensor cable tie fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #6
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

I'm taking mine in today for this issue. Mine is pretty loud, with creaking and clicking noises every time I turn the wheel, mainly at low speeds / stopped. I really hope it's something obvious. You hear it much better with the windows down.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:14 AM   #7
bluem2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
I'm taking mine in today for this issue. Mine is pretty loud, with creaking and clicking noises every time I turn the wheel, mainly at low speeds / stopped. I really hope it's something obvious. You hear it much better with the windows down.
are you able to hear those noises as soon as you drive off after start up ? I seem to only be able to hear mine after a drive when everything is warmed up

my steel brakes squeal like mad too , does anyone know if the pads and rotor composites are the same as the M2, the M2 is not making any squeals at all
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

I am at the dealer now for front end steering and/or suspension related creaking/crackling. I had my SA get in the car with me and I showed him what I was talking about by driving around. Very loud and obvious. Will update once they tell me what they think is wrong. Total BS I'm dealing with this in a 130k car with 2500 miles on it, but it's been my only issue thus far, and I love the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Allegedly it was the stiffening plate bolts loose allowing creaking and shifting. Maybe loose from break in service and bolts not properly torqued? I'll update once I get to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Problem solved. Loose bolts on front end stiffening plate.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
marcvtec
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Problem solved. Loose bolts on front end stiffening plate.
Excellent thank you for the update - time to visit the dealer again.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Allegedly it was the stiffening plate bolts loose allowing creaking and shifting. Maybe loose from break in service and bolts not properly torqued? I'll update once I get to drive it.
Do they have to remove these plates for break-in service? Would that be for the engine oil or front diff oil change?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing since the noises started after the break in service, the bolts were loose, and they were scratching their heads trying to gain access to the front diff when they changed the fluid, I suspect that was the culprit. Easy fix though, car is back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing since the noises started after the break in service, the bolts were loose, and they were scratching their heads trying to gain access to the front diff when they changed the fluid, I suspect that was the culprit. Easy fix though, car is back to normal.
It's good to know about this. I'm sure this happened or will happen to others as well...

Service competence is a huge issue. It's very common for dealerships not to do things right during service in my experience. Sometimes the damage is reversible, and sometimes not.

With the M5, even routine service is more complex than with most of the other cars. The diff oil change process is one, but changing the air filters is also more complex because the struts in the engine bay need to be removed and re-installed, and it can be somewhat tricky according to the technical manual because at some point you have to do something about the degradation of the threads.

I'm pretty much at a loss on how to have the services done right and without damage on my M5. If I just go to one of the dealerships around here and let some random technician work on it, there's little hope.

I wonder how others handle this... Develop a relationship with a service advisor and pester him to assign the car to a good experienced technician? The whole process around here is a crapshoot - you get a random service advisor and a random technician who may have zero clue about how to get the work done correctly. It's a huge issue that bit me many times in that past with my previous cars.

I was even thinking about going to an indy instead where you have control over who works on your car, and you can get a good mechanic. The problem is that they don't know much about these new models, don't have any experience with them, and probably don't even have the service manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

These are all really good points you've brought up. When I was there trying to pick it up after the break in service, some 16 year old looking guy had my M5 in the air tinkering with it, and it was brutally apparent that not only was it the first time they've laid eyes on one, it was the first time they had ever even thought about it. They didn't know how much diff oil was needed for the front. Then I drive off and have horrible vibration. Turns out they torqued the lug bolts with an air wrench quickly, and one of the wheels was not seated on the hub. Took dropping off the car for a few days before they could look at it and figure out what happened. Apparently in the same time period, they loosened this stiffening plate and I developed all of this noise, and they told me todwy the bolts weren't torqued correctly on it. Doubt that was done at Dingolfing in Germany, but rather when the teenager was trying to gain access to my front diff several weeks ago. They will let anyone work on your 130k car. Be very afraid.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #16
marcvtec
Banned
Rep

I'm taking mine to my local indy shop where I can basically work on the car myself if needed - but they specialize in BMW anyway.

This way I can see and touch and yell and scream and laugh till its done right.

Thats my way, the dealership will hardly ever see my car in its lifetime.
Just for recalls. not even free maintenance.
I have no control which = will not go there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #17
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
These are all really good points you've brought up. When I was there trying to pick it up after the break in service, some 16 year old looking guy had my M5 in the air tinkering with it, and it was brutally apparent that not only was it the first time they've laid eyes on one, it was the first time they had ever even thought about it. They didn't know how much diff oil was needed for the front. Then I drive off and have horrible vibration. Turns out they torqued the lug bolts with an air wrench quickly, and one of the wheels was not seated on the hub. Took dropping off the car for a few days before they could look at it and figure out what happened. Apparently in the same time period, they loosened this stiffening plate and I developed all of this noise, and they told me todwy the bolts weren't torqued correctly on it. Doubt that was done at Dingolfing in Germany, but rather when the teenager was trying to gain access to my front diff several weeks ago. They will let anyone work on your 130k car. Be very afraid.
Yes, that's exactly what happens in dealership service departments - I've been through this kind of thing too many times. It's the main reason I typically lease. I don't care as much about them messing things up because I don't own the car, and it's going back to them. However, I bought this time because the lease terms were lousy, and also I would like to keep this car longer since I really like it.

The question is what to do about it... I don't have a good strategy for having it done correctly and without damage at a dealership. Getting a good indy to do it seems much more promising. However, I would need the service manual. I need to find out how to get that...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #18
TheRealBob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 Bluestone M5

My dealer has only let the shop foreman touch my car so far. I rode with him for both the pre-delivery check-ride, and then again after he had performed the 1200 mile service. I intend on showing him some appreciation with an Amazon gift card.

My SA knows I'm kind of fanatical, and they seem to do everything within their power to keep me happy.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2018, 02:27 PM   #19
marcvtec
Banned
Rep

Mine is in for this service and they can't get to the bottom of it yet
I just told him about the stiffening plate, lets see how the goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #20
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Mine is in for this service and they can't get to the bottom of it yet
I just told him about the stiffening plate, lets see how the goes.
Best of luck. Let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #21
marcvtec
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Best of luck. Let us know what happens.
Confirmed stiffening plate bolts loose fixed the problem
Even though they opened a Puma case and wanted to keep my car for probably weeks - dam the dealerships are so dumb - glad to have my car back.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #22
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Seems like dealerships struggle with putting her back together properly after the break in. At least it's an easy fix, and there's nothing wrong with the car.
Appreciate 0