BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Car Buying Advice Needed

07-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #23
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
Criminal

Don't let this scum getaway with it.
I agree. For me it's more about the principle at this point since this is not a big amount of money. I hate when people take advantage of older people who don't know what they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 04:34 PM   #24
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update. Received a response saying "The only thing that's owed is the signed title for the car that your parents traded in."

I told them they'll be hearing from a lawyer and contacted a few in the area, but they were all closed late Saturady.

I'm assuming that my parents signing over the title is a condition that needs to be met for the deal to go through. Does them not signing the title over to the dealership void the transaction? Technically they did not complete all the steps to finalize this transaction. Now that would be a turn of events!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:34 AM   #25
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

State attorney general and cfpb.gov

Those tend to get dealers to rethink their position!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Assuming you are well past the 48hr cooling off period, I'd be aiming to win this in the court of public opinion (BBB, perhaps local news, or bluf the dealership). Car dealerships have an almost unnatural ability to get laws in their favor, its 'almost' like legalized larceny. They used to call this tactic the 'four-square' (purchase price, trade, down payment, and APR, IIRC) and the 'game' was that they would give you one # you wanted, but just jack the others so end profit was the same; all while confusing the hell out of you with fast-talking nonsense. Having an ad with the lower price may help sway opinion, but I doubt it is legally binding.

On the bright side, let them take the $1500 hit, and then use it as leverage to finally get them to ask your opinion BEFORE they make big purchases. That's the only thing that has made a dent in my parental unit's sense of 'we know better than the kids'.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Update. Received a response saying "The only thing that's owed is the signed title for the car that your parents traded in."

I told them they'll be hearing from a lawyer and contacted a few in the area, but they were all closed late Saturady.

I'm assuming that my parents signing over the title is a condition that needs to be met for the deal to go through. Does them not signing the title over to the dealership void the transaction? Technically they did not complete all the steps to finalize this transaction. Now that would be a turn of events!
Breach of contract on PARENTS' if they don't sign over the title.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #28
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Just to clear something up, they should be charged TTL on 9.5k, not 7.5k. The car is sold for 9.5k +TTL -2.0k. The trade in doesn't drive down the purchase price with regards to TTL. Make sense?
Yeah, what BimmerAg said. In Iowa it is the final price after trade that TTL is calculated off of. Just helped the girl purchase a new car last month so fresh data point!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #29
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

I agree with UncleWede. Your parents signed a contract and are the ones in breach of contract.

Additional may dealers include paperwork that says "numbers on contract are final numbers and nothing else was promised" and your parents probably signed that too.

Sign the title and then go and bad mouth them on social media ect. and maybe you'll get some relief that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #30
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. My parents signed the title over on Monday. Waiting on 2 additional keys that they promised when the car was bought before leaving negative feedback online. I don't want the dealership to refuse that as well due to negative feedback. I also filed a complaint with the State Attorney General's office.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      08-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #31
Wingnut335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335XI

I know I'm a little late, but I was going to suggest reaching out to your local state representatives office. I experienced a problem with my credit card company in which my card numbers were stolen. The CC company tried to pin $275 out of the $2,400 charges on me. All it took was a simple call from my state reps office threatening to get the DA involved and the credit was issued on the spot. This may be something worth looking into.
Appreciate 0