BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Audi voids warranty RS5

07-26-2017, 12:39 AM   #67
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
I can say My BMW hasnt seen the flatbed of a tow truck.
Ya just jinxed it
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #68
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Search the forums. People have been flagged for jb4 even when it was removed before going in for service.
I know a few have been flags, what I am saying is that every single Audi is flagged automatically by computer
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #69
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Indeed.
Same as BMW.
That's not what I've read. Many don't even remove tunes when go in for basic service. Many get engine work done with tunes installed. In e90 days ton of people got new set of turbos under warranty with zero issues

BMW tech in this forum said, the last thing dealer wants to do is void your warranty, they are more interested in fixing your car because they actually get paid for it. And it seems that only the extreme cases are not covered, with modded and blown engines etc.....it's pretty obvious
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #70
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
That's not what I've read. Many don't even remove tunes when go in for basic service. Many get engine work done with tunes installed. In e90 days ton of people got new set of turbos under warranty with zero issues

BMW tech in this forum said, the last thing dealer wants to do is void your warranty, they are more interested in fixing your car because they actually get paid for it.
The most recent service I had done was for driveability issues related to my DCT. My dealer performed the service/fix without giving me any hassles even though my car has a Dinan S2 tune. I told my SA upfront about it and he didn't give me any grief over it.

I also have a friend who is a tech at this dealership. He told me a story about a brand new M4 which had engine problems. It was assigned to a tech and he spent days trying to figure out what was wrong with it. They asked the owner a couple of times if he had done any modifications to it. He said no both times. The original tech was about to drop kick this car until my friend stepped in. They decided to physically check the DME as my friend saw physical signs of someone gaining access to it. When they pulled the DME and opened it up, he said it was obvious someone was in there messing with it. They were all pissed because the owner tied up the original tech's time for all those days and caused another to have to get involved. My friend told the original tech to immediately flag the car in the system which resulted in the owner having to pay out of pocket for a new DME.

My friend said had the owner been upfront and honest with what he had done, they would have worked with him. But because he wasted their time (as time is money for mechanics), they said F' him.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #71
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I notice that those disclaimers are quite prominent on the speed parts websites too. I don't have as much of a problem with denying claims due to modding, or full race use. But I think it is wrong and misleading to deny coverage for track use when you sell a car that can easily do 150, load it with 'track-handling packages', advertise it on a track, then encourage owners to come join in HPDE events. THIS seems like an area for a class action, rather than the 'I lost 10 runflats to potholes' action trying to get support on another thread. I realize that they aren't always jerks about this, and I'm reassured by many who seem to have the kind of legitimate support I would imagine; just wish it was rock solid. Having seen engine failures that also took out trans and parts of undercarriage, I can imagine that things could get very expensive (rare, but possible).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #72
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
I read Audi is pretty bad with the warranty stuff, thats one of the reasons I went with BMW. They flag you automatically if engine is tuned etc.
BMW flags you too... why wouldn't they?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #73
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:

BMW tech in this forum said, the last thing dealer wants to do is void your warranty, they are more interested in fixing your car because they actually get paid for it. And it seems that only the extreme cases are not covered, with modded and blown engines etc.....it's pretty obvious
That's because the turbos had a design problem and would go bad regardless if it had a tune or not.

It's true they want BMW to pay them to do work... that works out great for the dealer, but not for BMW. That's why BMW has representatives that go to the dealers to authorize most major work. And that's when you are denied... (and flagged) Otherwise the dealers would just basically be trying to scam BMW out of every dollar they could.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #74
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The most recent service I had done was for driveability issues related to my DCT. My dealer performed the service/fix without giving me any hassles even though my car has a Dinan S2 tune. I told my SA upfront about it and he didn't give me any grief over it.

I also have a friend who is a tech at this dealership. He told me a story about a brand new M4 which had engine problems. It was assigned to a tech and he spent days trying to figure out what was wrong with it. They asked the owner a couple of times if he had done any modifications to it. He said no both times. The original tech was about to drop kick this car until my friend stepped in. They decided to physically check the DME as my friend saw physical signs of someone gaining access to it. When they pulled the DME and opened it up, he said it was obvious someone was in there messing with it. They were all pissed because the owner tied up the original tech's time for all those days and caused another to have to get involved. My friend told the original tech to immediately flag the car in the system which resulted in the owner having to pay out of pocket for a new DME.

My friend said had the owner been upfront and honest with what he had done, they would have worked with him. But because he wasted their time (as time is money for mechanics), they said F' him.
This is exactly correct. All of my mods were either done at the dealership or by a mechanic who worked at the dealership before he went out on his own. They are ok as long as you tell the truth.

The dealership doesn't want dissatisfied customers because each one shouts their dissatisfaction to the world.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      07-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #75
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
This is exactly correct. All of my mods were either done at the dealership or by a mechanic who worked at the dealership before he went out on his own. They are ok as long as you tell the truth.

The dealership doesn't want dissatisfied customers because each one shouts their dissatisfaction to the world.
Yes. Some of my mods were done at the dealership. They installed the PPK2 and I also had them install the 1M strut tower bits. The Dinan tune was done by an indie even though one of the dealerships in the chain mine belongs to is a Dinan dealer. They still didn't give me any hassle when I had my car in for the DCT issues. And they didn't give me any lip when I had a cosmetic issue with my nav screen housing. I had installed the Bimmertech rearview camera retrofit myself. The shop foreman just wanted to make sure there was no physical signs of damage to the screen before authorizing it. Didn't realize why the scrutiny until I was told the entire screen and housing had to be replaced as a unit to the tune of about $1000. BMW doesn't sell the housing separately. I was also honest to my SA about the having to get into the nav screen to install the Bimmertech system. But didn't mess with the area where the rubberized finish was flaking off.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      07-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #76
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Audi lawyer fully prepared? who said that.....I sued CItibank and won even without any lawyers
Your Citibank issue a $20k claim like we are talking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
It depends on whether it's an issue that's dealt with "locally" or a potential warranty claim that involves the factory. If you get the factory involved they can see any modifications you have made, even if removed.
Moral of the story is go into modifying your car with your eyes open.
Agree. You need a $20k transmission and Corporate gets involved it won't matter how much the dealer likes you as he won't be paying the bill or be the one giving the ok. You have a simple repair that gets covered and doesn't raise any flags you might be ok.
      07-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #77
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Your Citibank issue a $20k claim like we are talking about here?

Agree. You need a $20k transmission and Corporate gets involved it won't matter how much the dealer likes you as he won't be paying the bill or be the one giving the ok. You have a simple repair that gets covered and doesn't raise any flags you might be ok.
Appreciate 0