BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Company to install microchips in employees

07-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #23
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
I, for one, welcome our new corporate overlords...

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #24
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
What happens when you quit or are terminated...how easy is it to remove this thing?

Being an anti-needle guy, I'd probably faint at the site of the device used to implant this thing...
Appreciate 1
upstatedoc7558.50
      07-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #25
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Because if I don't have my cell phone on me, I can quite literally disappear if shit hits the fan. Get a chip, it's just one more way to be monitored.

So to your regard, go ahead and get the chip and let it set a precedent for the exciting future we already have ahead of us.
How are you going to disappear, exactly? In any case I can forsee that would actually require you to ditch the phone, you would probably be a specific target. You would effectively be living as a fugitive, and really, the life of a fugitive has been shitty for over 100 years in countries like the USA. How do you expect that to go these days or in the near future? It would be shitty and the odds are very much against you. Do you really think you have the skills to live as a fugitive? Unless you're already a successful (and likely punished) criminal, you do not. Be honest with yourself about what you can do.

And if you think you can ditch your phone on a whim and disappear, that really depends how hard "they" want to track you. For example, what is your plan to deal with cameras?

Last edited by The Wind Breezes; 07-25-2017 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #26
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
I, for one, welcome our new corporate overlords...

Shit! Are they are monitoring this thread?!?!
scostu1623.00
MKSixer34183.50
      07-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #27
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
What happens when you quit or are terminated...how easy is it to remove this thing?

Being an anti-needle guy, I'd probably faint at the site of the device used to implant this thing...
They just use a huge electron magnet and it pulls the RFID right out of your hand as you leave.
      07-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #28
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
How are you going to disappear, exactly? In any case I can forsee that would actually require you to ditch the phone, you would probably be a specific target. You would effectively be living as a fugitive, and really, the life of a fugitive has been shitty for over 100 years in countries like the USA. How do you expect that to go these days or in the near future? It would be shitty and the odds are very much against you. Do you really think you have the skills to live as a fugitive? Unless you're already a successful (and likely punished) criminal, you do not. Be honest with yourself about what you can do.

And if you think you can ditch your phone on a whim and disappear, that really depends how hard "they" want to track you. For example, what is your plan to deal with cameras?
He said if the shit hits the fan. That means many different things to many different people.
      07-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #29
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I would get a microchip. People bitching about that stuff don't realize we're already watched way beyond what you would get with a chip in you.

For example,

--your cellphone already tracks your every move and network of contacts
--all your data is up for grabs / being grabbed
--cameras with number plate readers (extremely common) and facial recognition tech (not that common, but about to be) track your car and soon to be your face everywhere there's a camera. Which if you're in a city is effectively everywhere.

So how does the chip matter in light of the above? Please, explain to me. We're already way the fuck beyond what "don't put a chip in me" folks are worried about and besides the chip in the OP is a niche access thing for some tech nerds.
Seems like your reasoning is that you gave up a lot of privacy so you might as well go all the way with the benefit of the checkout at the company cafeteria being slightly simpler?

I often leave the house without my phone or just turn it off, guessing turning off the embedded chip will be difficult.

Why would you get the chip? Somehow your life would be measurably better?
      07-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #30
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Why would you get the chip?
Because it's interesting, unique, isn't even a privacy threat in the first place, and can be removed at any time if I want to including by myself if I really needed to.

This is a nerdy tech thing and totally optional. Choosing to get, or not get one of these things has no bearing whatsoever on future state privacy incursions. On a related note I don't see how you can stop the almost foregone conclusion of privacy being eliminated in the future, even by extreme or unusual means. The world is too complicated now and in the long run we don't stand a chance of standing in the way of our own technology. Even if that's wrong, some people getting upset about a corporate chip implant for the cafeteria is still just misdirected anger that accomplishes nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #31
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Sure, they can implant it in my middle finger.
Appreciate 3
UncleWede17976.50
upstatedoc7558.50
      07-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #32
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Dumbasses, starts innocent till the are tracking your every step like a wild animal.
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      07-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #33
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Dumbasses, starts innocent till the are tracking your every step like a wild animal.
+1 but stupid pplz will stupidz "What? I got nothing to hide!" Oh, convenience is AMAZING, let's forgo all our rights!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #34
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Because it's interesting, unique, isn't even a privacy threat in the first place, and can be removed at any time if I want to including by myself if I really needed to.

This is a nerdy tech thing and totally optional. Choosing to get, or not get one of these things has no bearing whatsoever on future state privacy incursions. On a related note I don't see how you can stop the almost foregone conclusion of privacy being eliminated in the future, even by extreme or unusual means. The world is too complicated now and in the long run we don't stand a chance of standing in the way of our own technology. Even if that's wrong, some people getting upset about a corporate chip implant for the cafeteria is still just misdirected anger that accomplishes nothing.
Putting a foreign object into your body should not be taken lightly. My point is that it seems quite silly to take a medical risk (albeit very small) for the sake of very very minor convenience. And yes, the precedent it sets is also unsettling, no matter how little privacy we currently have.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #35
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1Boston View Post
A chip for food and checking in is how it starts. Then it ends up being something that completely invades your privacy.
No it ends up with chip that controls you
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #36
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
He said if the shit hits the fan. That means many different things to many different people.
Interesting...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #37
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
No it ends up with chip that controls you
You mean a browser in the a$$ ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #38
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Shit! Are they are monitoring this thread?!?!
Ssssshhhhhhh......... start passing out the tinfoil hats!
      07-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #39
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

They may have installed one of these last time I was in the hospital.

Not like I'd know if they actually did.

I'd never consent to this.

I'd find another job!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #40
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
That's already today in most companies ..
It's the badge-key my friend

The badges are actually also a network ,we need them to open doors, rooms, parking and toilets in the company , actually everywhere !
But when use our badge for example to open the toilet door , the company can see by who and when the badge is used .
And how long you poop on the toilet too, same thing with a rest breakes !
Because every badge has a number , and that number is also a person in the company ....
Of course all the badge-data is non-stop stored by the companies database !

And this situation really s@cks !

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #41
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I really don't understand all the attention this story is getting. People have been implanting RFID tags in humans for years if not over a decade. It's nothing new or scary. People are just freaked out by the medical nature of the implant. This is total non-news. There are lots of other ways you're being tracked which are already happening. Some were mentioned that have a high ratio of impact to informed consent and will be reiterated below. How can you freak out about something innocent when governments, corporations, and criminals who hack both already have access to unbelievable amounts of personal data?

Cars are tracked by (unique id) rfid toll tags where applicable. Digital reading of the license plates is extremely widespread, the existence of the resulting databases is just not well publicized. There are already computerized camera systems in use that track people based on their face. Those things will be everywhere in a matter of years. Your cell phone? Not ultimately trustworthy even if you disable location services, airplane it, or turn it off. Most people do none of the above and gladly carry the phone everywhere. Then there's the automated and widespread tracking that happens when you use any type of mainstream communications like telephone or the internet. It's our fault. We're oblivious, misinformed, and most of all we really don't give a crap.

The modern first world has an unprecedented degree of surveillance that far exceeds anything in the former Soviet Union. Even the Stasi would be enviously amazed.

And you guys are worried about a MICROCHIP?

This is a real case of inauthentic news.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:32 PM   #42
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I remember in shark tank a guy was trying to get money so he can produce Bluetooth headset implanted to humans ear . He had the prototype implanted already . Idiots , WTF they are thinking?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #43
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

It cant be removed anytime anywhere. You cant remove it like bracelet . WTF you thinking?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #44
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
This is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas. A real winner. :thumb down

TXSTYLE , The Belko Experiment was tough to watch but I really hope they make a sequel. The end looked very promising for one.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0