BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Sunroof or Bowers and Wilkins? Dilemma

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #45
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Sorry, I don't care what anyone says.....but I would never own an M car without the carbon fiber roof.

It takes away half of the aggressiveness of the car.

Honestly, if I saw someone with a sunroof on their M5....I'd think they must have gotten a bare bones one cheap because hardly anyone would opt for the sunroof. Just get a M550 otherwise...save the money. It looks pedestrian.

I understand that some people just love sunroofs....but it simply doesn't look as intimidating or good with a sunroof. It looks like a normal 5. You aren't going to fool anyone with wrapping the roof, either.....the carbon roof has a completely different shape/line than the normal roof.
I've had 10 M-cars in five years. 9 of them had a sunroof, my M8C GC does not and I miss it everyday. The other 9 were all highly-spec'd, too--I don't get what having a sunroof and highly-spec'd have in common; asinine comment.

mjr24 I guess we wouldn't get along at all.

Last edited by limeypride; 03-30-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #46
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Every single car I've owned has had a sunroof up until this one with the CF roof. Have not missed the sunroof one bit. Love the CF roof. B&W is a nice upgrade, but it's not an audiophile system by any means. Better than the H&K in my F10.

I did wrap the roof on a white car I had and it looked nice. It was gloss black wrap and it had a sunroof.

1300 miles on a car you are going to lease would not bother me at all as long as there is no damage. Personally I would try to limit the money down on a lease.
I miss my sunroof every day.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #47
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod1980 View Post
Get what you want man. Price is just a couple of thousand dollars from one another. Let's be real, at this price range, does it really matter? Get 3rd option, which is what you want. Do yourself a favor, go pick it up in Virginia and drive it home!
Well said.
Appreciate 1
JRod1980109.50

      03-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #48
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
My car has a sunroof and every option......full leather.....piano black trim....B&W.....executive package.....20 inch wheels......etc etc.

So, Ah, no, you are wrong about that assumption.

My dad also got a 2018 and has all but the fancy stereo and has the 19 in wheels and he ordered with the sunroof.

The CF roof is nice. But I prefer a sunroof. I use mine very often.

With a black car, the CF roof is not that noticeable anyway.

Mike
Oh no, now he won't like you either--what are we to do!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #49
mjr24
Captain
297
Rep
745
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin/Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I've had 10 M-cars in five years. 9 of them had a sunroof, my M8C GC does not and I miss it everyday. The other 9 were all highly-spec'd, too--I don't get what having a sunroof and highly-spec'd have in common; asinine comment.

mjr24 I guess we wouldn't get along at all.
Um, kind of an odd comment.

You are in the vast minority if you want a sunroof. The replies on this thread also confirm that. Not having the CF roof is a non-starter for most people.....regardless of how optioned a car is.

If you like sunroofs, great, nothing wrong with that. Regardless, M cars without the carbon roof do not look as good....it's really as simple as that.
__________________
2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC (sold), 2013 CLS550 (sold), 2011 750LI (sold), 2008 M6 Cabrio (sold), 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 (sold), 2003 Mercedes SL500 (sold), 2000 Mercedes CL500 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #50
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Um, kind of an odd comment.

You are in the vast minority if you want a sunroof. The replies on this thread also confirm that. Not having the CF roof is a non-starter for most people.....regardless of how optioned a car is.

If you like sunroofs, great, nothing wrong with that. Regardless, M cars without the carbon roof do not look as good....it's really as simple as that.
No, it wasn't--it was necessary.
No, I'm not; it's a 53:38 split (<-- and no, I have no idea if that's true anymore than you do).
No, they don't.
Why, thank you--whatever would I have done without your blessing.
No... it isn't since you're not the 'BMW looks good' police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Honestly, if I saw someone with a sunroof on their M5....I'd think they must have gotten a bare bones one cheap because hardly anyone would opt for the sunroof. Just get a M550 otherwise...save the money. It looks pedestrian.
... an asinine comment made yet more so by your attempts to justify it.

What is true about anything you've said is that it's your belief--and that's a perfectly fine subjective assessment... but, and critically, it's absolutely nothing more.

Fear not--you've successfully conveyed your personality archetype.

Last edited by limeypride; 03-30-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
jstein553596.00

      03-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #51
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
mwlmd's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: Porsche 991 TTS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Sorry, I don't care what anyone says.....but I would never own an M car without the carbon fiber roof.

It takes away half of the aggressiveness of the car.

Honestly, if I saw someone with a sunroof on their M5....I'd think they must have gotten a bare bones one cheap because hardly anyone would opt for the sunroof. Just get a M550 otherwise...save the money. It looks pedestrian.

I understand that some people just love sunroofs....but it simply doesn't look as intimidating or good with a sunroof. It looks like a normal 5. You aren't going to fool anyone with wrapping the roof, either.....the carbon roof has a completely different shape/line than the normal roof.
I've had 10 M-cars in five years. 9 of them had a sunroof, my M8C GC does not and I miss it everyday. The other 9 were all highly-spec'd, too--I don't get what having a sunroof and highly-spec'd have in common; asinine comment.

mjr24 I guess we wouldn't get along at all.
I agree the sunroof statement previously posted is ridiculous. I loved having a sunroof on all my cars including my current 991 TTS.

Since when did M cars become ultralight track weapons? They are huge, comfortable and fast sedans and coupes. The fact that BMW gives you a no cost option means everyone can have it their way.

It really cracks me up when someone has an opinion and if anyone has a different one then they are flawed.
__________________
CURRENT:
His: Porsche 991 Turbo S
Carrera white/Black
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black

Last edited by mwlmd; 03-30-2020 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
jstein553596.00
limeypride1811.50

      03-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #52
jstein55
Colonel
jstein55's Avatar
United_States
3596
Rep
2,389
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I know OP already chose his car, but to add some fuel to the fire, If I were optioning one I'd get the sunroof. Wife and I actually made sure to get an M2 that had one because we wanted to brighten up the bleak cabin, we like to open the windows/roof when its nice out, and we wanted a convertible above all else but BMW doesn't make one. These cars are already heavy as it is so I don't think it makes too big of a difference and while the CF roof looks nice, its not really a requirement for me.
__________________
Current Vehicles - 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 | 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 | 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT
Retired Vehicles - 1995 BMW 325i 5MT | 2004 BMW 330i 6MT | 2011 BMW 335xi | 2017 BMW 540i | 2017 Porsche Boxster S 6MT
Appreciate 1
limeypride1811.50

      03-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #53
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I know OP already chose his car, but to add some fuel to the fire, If I were optioning one I'd get the sunroof. Wife and I actually made sure to get an M2 that had one because we wanted to brighten up the bleak cabin, we like to open the windows/roof when its nice out, and we wanted a convertible above all else but BMW doesn't make one. These cars are already heavy as it is so I don't think it makes too big of a difference and while the CF roof looks nice, its not really a requirement for me.
Agreed.

The biggest reason by far to get the sunroof is to be able to hear the exhaust in its pure, undiluted and not destroyed by side-wind sound--the sunroof let's it all in. Believe me, I know--my M5 sounded divine, my M8 does, too... just not so much on the inside.
Appreciate 1
jstein553596.00

      03-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #54
mjr24
Captain
297
Rep
745
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin/Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I agree the sunroof statement previously posted is ridiculous. I loved having a sunroof on all my cars including my current 991 TTS.

Since when did M cars become ultralight track weapons? They are huge, comfortable and fast sedans and coupes. The fact that BMW gives you a no cost option means everyone can have it their way.

It really cracks me up when someone has an opinion and if anyone has a different one then they are flawed.
My God, are you some of you people such crybabies. I never said no one prefers sunroofs on cars in general. I said as opposed to a carbon fiber roof, I can guarantee you most would not want the sunroof. Poll it if you disagree.

OBVIOUSLY, most people would prefer the sunroof over a car with no sunroof (that is, on a car WITH no other option available, such as a CF roof). Your TTS has no relevance in this argument but then again you obviously did not read what I said.
__________________
2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC (sold), 2013 CLS550 (sold), 2011 750LI (sold), 2008 M6 Cabrio (sold), 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 (sold), 2003 Mercedes SL500 (sold), 2000 Mercedes CL500 (sold)

Last edited by mjr24; 03-30-2020 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #55
mjr24
Captain
297
Rep
745
Posts

Drives: F90 M5
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin/Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
No, it wasn't--it was necessary.
No, I'm not; it's a 53:38 split (<-- and no, I have no idea if that's true anymore than you do).
No, they don't.
Why, thank you--whatever would I have done without your blessing.
No... it isn't since you're not the 'BMW looks good' police.


... an asinine comment made yet more so by your attempts to justify it.

What is true about anything you've said is that it's your belief--and that's a perfectly fine subjective assessment... but, and critically, it's absolutely nothing more.

Fear not--you've successfully conveyed your personality archetype.
I swear you are a dick in like 90% of your comments.

I know you don't care about what looks good. After all, you put a "bedazzled" grille on your M5 and M8.
__________________
2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC (sold), 2013 CLS550 (sold), 2011 750LI (sold), 2008 M6 Cabrio (sold), 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 (sold), 2003 Mercedes SL500 (sold), 2000 Mercedes CL500 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #56
josec70
Brigadier General
1593
Rep
3,762
Posts

Drives: 19' SG M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (2)

Thank ya'll ...next!
__________________
19' M5C SG
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #57
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
My God, are you some of you people such crybabies. I never said no one prefers sunroofs on cars in general. I said as opposed to a carbon fiber roof, I can guarantee you most would not want the sunroof. Poll it if you disagree.

OBVIOUSLY, most people would prefer the sunroof over a car with no sunroof (that is, on a car WITH no other option available, such as a CF roof). Your TTS has no relevance in this argument but then again you obviously did not read what I said.
TL;DR <-- that means I didn't read it... I did make it to crybabies and then the projection was just too much.

Reminder: this is what you said that pissed people off... oh, and let's not forget the customary lol. Man, you're a pleb ->

[mjr24]


"Honestly, if I saw someone with a sunroof on their M5....I'd think they must have gotten a bare bones one cheap because hardly anyone would opt for the sunroof. Just get a M550 otherwise...save the money. It looks pedestrian."



/[mjr24]

Last edited by limeypride; 03-30-2020 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
jstein553596.00

      03-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #58
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I swear you are a dick in like 90% of your comments.

I know you don't care about what looks good. After all, you put a "bedazzled" grille on your M5 and M8.
Awww, thanks, man--loathe you, too. That said, it kinda makes sense given any response remotely involving you would require me to set your personality flaws straight.

As for my cars: please, post a pic--go on...

// EDIT: disregard, I decided I didn't care. Loathe ya' man! Mwaaaa...

Last edited by limeypride; 03-30-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #59
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
Thank ya'll ...next!
Sorry, dude--I'm not remotely done with this chump yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:33 PM   #60
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue M5 View Post
I lucked out. No.1 was actually new. The inventory manager at the dealer had my car mixed up with another one. We think its because the car came in the 18th and they got closed down due to the Corona virus like the next day. So it never hit the show room. It's still in there wear house.
// restoring the OP's topic after some folks wrote douchey comments (<--is that inflammatory lol)

blueM5 and I chatted over PM. Turns out he hasn't signed yet so we're trying to see if we can make that deal a little sweeter elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #61
Quickburn7
Captain
843
Rep
744
Posts

Drives: 2018 Bmw M5
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue M5 View Post
I lucked out. No.1 was actually new. The inventory manager at the dealer had my car mixed up with another one. We think its because the car came in the 18th and they got closed down due to the Corona virus like the next day. So it never hit the show room. It's still in there wear house.
// restoring the OP's topic after some folks wrote douchey comments (<--is that inflammatory lol)

blueM5 and I chatted over PM. Turns out he hasn't signed yet so we're trying to see if we can make that deal a little sweeter elsewhere.
I have had both my 18 had the sunroof which i went all the way to Virginia to get.
The 19 has the carbon roof. I miss the additional light and the air from the sunroof and the sound of the exhaust. However, the carbon roof gives so much more headroom, looks a lot more aggressive and l feel it changes the character of the car. If I had to pick one I would pick the carbon roof just because it fits the M5 competition model better.
Appreciate 1
limeypride1811.50

      03-30-2020, 08:49 PM   #62
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
I have had both my 18 had the sunroof which i went all the way to Virginia to get.
The 19 has the carbon roof. I miss the additional light and the air from the sunroof and the sound of the exhaust. However, the carbon roof gives so much more headroom, looks a lot more aggressive and l feel it changes the character of the car. If I had to pick one I would pick the carbon roof just because it fits the M5 competition model better.
Awwww, man--that's not helping my case.

Joking aside: yup, I know many who prefer the carbon roof for looks or rigidity or both--understood. But I think it's apparent to all what was unnecessary and douchey about douche's comments.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #63
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
mwlmd's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: Porsche 991 TTS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
TL;DR <-- that means I didn't read it... I did make it to crybabies and then the projection was just too much.

Reminder: this is what you said that pissed people off... oh, and let's not forget the customary lol. Man, you're a pleb ->

[mjr24]


"Honestly, if I saw someone with a sunroof on their M5....I'd think they must have gotten a bare bones one cheap because hardly anyone would opt for the sunroof. Just get a M550 otherwise...save the money. It looks pedestrian."



/[mjr24]
Exactly. If I saw someone with a sunroof on their M5... I would think they wanted a sunroof on their M5.
__________________
CURRENT:
His: Porsche 991 Turbo S
Carrera white/Black
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 2
limeypride1811.50
jstein553596.00

      03-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #64
limeypride
Colonel
limeypride's Avatar
United_States
1812
Rep
2,438
Posts

Drives: 2020 M8 Competition GC
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Exactly. If I saw someone with a sunroof on their M5... I would think they wanted a sunroof on their M5.
ROFL
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #65
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
mwlmd's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
1,509
Posts

Drives: Porsche 991 TTS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
ROFL
Right?! I mean it seems pretty obvious.
__________________
CURRENT:
His: Porsche 991 Turbo S
Carrera white/Black
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 1
limeypride1811.50

      03-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #66
Earlando86
Private First Class
Earlando86's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: BMW X7 and F90 M5
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Atlanta GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
No, you would just owe the first 3 payments in 90 days. Lease term is the same.
I purchased my F90 in January. Thankfully, I won't suffer financially during the crisis. I only found out about the option because I'm in the market for a 3rd vehicle and the salesman informed me that there would be no payments for the first 90 days.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST