BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Finally!! I swapped my F90 H&R Springs for M550i's!! Pics

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #23
hybrid_eg
Lieutenant
hybrid_eg's Avatar
United_States
300
Rep
583
Posts

Drives: '90 S13, '17 F85, '18 F90
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (19)

spacer fitment on point as well
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #24
Eurohorses
Captain
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

Why did you decide against the KW HAS kit option? I feel like my car sits the same way... maybe even lower.
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #25
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2658
Rep
5,355
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
Why did you decide against the KW HAS kit option? I feel like my car sits the same way... maybe even lower.
josec70

Jose had both and the M550i actually lowers the front more and he felt the compression and rebound were very close in nature. Plus my guy had the M550i's readily available within 24 hours of my ask. Pricing while not an issue is about 66% less too. After enough pics of the drop and member feedback; I put my trust in my good forum brothers and thankfully and as expected their input paid off.

Edit: I have probably 18 sets of HAS over the years thru branded and private labeling (Ferrari and Lambo were the private) and in reality out of all the drops I had I literally only adjusted one set after the initial drop. So the main or only gain for me with HAS is if the spring rates were dialed up and the H&R's were too bouncy. But in this case I like the compression and rebound.
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 08-26-2019 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
soopa91.00

      08-27-2019, 06:11 AM   #26
soopa
Second Lieutenant
91
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: 2018 F90 M5
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Seoul, Korea

iTrader: (0)

Looking good!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 08:23 AM   #27
Eurohorses
Captain
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
josec70

Jose had both and the M550i actually lowers the front more and he felt the compression and rebound were very close in nature. Plus my guy had the M550i's readily available within 24 hours of my ask. Pricing while not an issue is about 66% less too. After enough pics of the drop and member feedback; I put my trust in my good forum brothers and thankfully and as expected their input paid off.

Edit: I have probably 18 sets of HAS over the years thru branded and private labeling (Ferrari and Lambo were the private) and in reality out of all the drops I had I literally only adjusted one set after the initial drop. So the main or only gain for me with HAS is if the spring rates were dialed up and the H&R's were too bouncy. But in this case I like the compression and rebound.
Makes sense.... I played with mine a few times to get it to my sweet spot. I most likely wont touch it ever again.
Attached Images
 
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa

Last edited by Eurohorses; 08-27-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
Vic552657.50

      08-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #28
Hockeytyme
Captain
Hockeytyme's Avatar
510
Rep
759
Posts

Drives: 2020 M5C
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, CA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
Makes sense.... I played with mine a few times to get it to my sweet spot. I most likely wont touch it ever again.
Euro, yours seems to sit lower than most of those I have seen on KW HAS. Did you take out the helpers? I know you have spacers too which helps the look on the stock wheels
__________________
DME: 1848 DA 0-60 2.42 -- 1/8 Mile 6.38 -- 1/4 Mile 9.89 -- 60-130 5.91
Evolve: 1418 DA 0-60 2.48 -- 1/8 Mile 6.47 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.48
JB4: 1096 DA 0-60 2.54 -- 1/8 Mile 6.50 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.18
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #29
Eurohorses
Captain
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
Euro, yours seems to sit lower than most of those I have seen on KW HAS. Did you take out the helpers? I know you have spacers too which helps the look on the stock wheels
Hock-

All bushings/helpers were installed... nothing left out. It could also be the fact that my car is black and blends with the tires wheel gap etc. But I've also heard from locals that my car sits a bit lower than other M5s with the KW HAS.
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #30
windtendo
Major
windtendo's Avatar
860
Rep
1,406
Posts

Drives: Nardo F90
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
Hock-

All bushings/helpers were installed... nothing left out. It could also be the fact that my car is black and blends with the tires wheel gap etc. But I've also heard from locals that my car sits a bit lower than other M5s with the KW HAS.
I'll chime in here... Your's is certainly lower than mine on the KW HAS setup. However, I could definitely go lower than I am now and I'm confident that mine could reach that same look.

Eurohorses you've got a great setup, and now I'm contemplating dialing it down just a bit more
Attached Images
 
__________________
IG @windtendo_m5
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #31
Eurohorses
Captain
Eurohorses's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: F12 M6
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
I'll chime in here... Your's is certainly lower than mine on the KW HAS setup. However, I could definitely go lower than I am now and I'm confident that mine could reach that same look.

Eurohorses you've got a great setup, and now I'm contemplating dialing it down just a bit more
Thanks windtendo

Come on DOWN!!!!!!
__________________
IG Page: @bo_buttaa
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #32
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2658
Rep
5,355
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
Hock-

All bushings/helpers were installed... nothing left out. It could also be the fact that my car is black and blends with the tires wheel gap etc. But I've also heard from locals that my car sits a bit lower than other M5s with the KW HAS.
Maybe a close up of the rear in the light will shed some.... more light

This is mine with a little more settling in the rear (60 miles or so) which I posted on page 1 at the very end so it might have gone un noticed. I think KW goes lower:

__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #33
Hockeytyme
Captain
Hockeytyme's Avatar
510
Rep
759
Posts

Drives: 2020 M5C
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, CA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Maybe a close up of the rear in the light will shed some.... more light

This is mine with a little more settling in the rear (60 miles or so) which I posted on page 1 at the very end so it might have gone un noticed. I think KW goes lower:

You may be right that the KW rear is a tad lower. However the front on the 550ix is definitely lower than the KW.

I just wish there was a simple answer..haha I want the same level on front and rear at the lowest setting :P
__________________
DME: 1848 DA 0-60 2.42 -- 1/8 Mile 6.38 -- 1/4 Mile 9.89 -- 60-130 5.91
Evolve: 1418 DA 0-60 2.48 -- 1/8 Mile 6.47 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.48
JB4: 1096 DA 0-60 2.54 -- 1/8 Mile 6.50 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.18
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #34
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2658
Rep
5,355
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
You may be right that the KW rear is a tad lower. However the front on the 550ix is definitely lower than the KW.

I just wish there was a simple answer..haha I want the same level on front and rear at the lowest setting :P
So thats the key for some--- Then KW will allow for a perfect set up because you can spin the cog. But the difficult part is how the BMW's rear fender lies vs the front end. For me, I want a similar or almost exact gap on the front fender to wheel and the rear fender to wheel. I think to achieve this, the front has to drop a little further (measured from ground to fender).

I may be wrong in how I just explained this but I hope it made sense.
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #35
josec70
Brigadier General
1594
Rep
3,765
Posts

Drives: 19' SG M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
So thats the key for some--- Then KW will allow for a perfect set up because you can spin the cog. But the difficult part is how the BMW's rear fender lies vs the front end. For me, I want a similar or almost exact gap on the front fender to wheel and the rear fender to wheel. I think to achieve this, the front has to drop a little further (measured from ground to fender).

I may be wrong in how I just explained this but I hope it made sense.
Well explained Vic.

I'll add the following:

1. If you want a moderate drop (lower than Base or Competition) then KW HAS is the way to go as you can easily balance the wheel gap on all 4 corners. In this setup the rear fender will not be right over the tire but rather about a finger or finger and half over the tire as will be the fronts. It is also a complete system rather than a simple spring replacement and works very well. Performance (body roll) and ride quality is great and you can continue to adjust until you're content.

2. If you like an aggressive drop with your fenders over the tire on all four corners then the H&R M550i springs will do a decent job as it drops the front ever slightly more than the KW HAS at it's lowest setting. KW HAS can get the rears even lower than the H&R M550 springs but the fronts will not go as low essentially creating the dreaded "reverse rake".

3. If you want a perfect aggressive drop on all four corners you're only choice today would be KW V4 but the price point is painful. I've not seen too many cars yet on the MP HAS or Dinan HAS but those may yield interesting results as well.

If you seek a moderate, balanced drop I would go KW HAS all day; quality is 2nd to none as is the performance of this kit.

If you seek something a little more aggressive the HR M550i is your best option; be certain you like this look as these are fixed height springs and will not be able to be adjusted.

If you seek perfection then KW V4 would be the route I would choose; you'll lose EDC with this kit however.

If none of this suits you then explore MP or Dinan HAS kits.
__________________
19' M5C SG
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #36
Hockeytyme
Captain
Hockeytyme's Avatar
510
Rep
759
Posts

Drives: 2020 M5C
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, CA.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
So thats the key for some--- Then KW will allow for a perfect set up because you can spin the cog. But the difficult part is how the BMW's rear fender lies vs the front end. For me, I want a similar or almost exact gap on the front fender to wheel and the rear fender to wheel. I think to achieve this, the front has to drop a little further (measured from ground to fender).

I may be wrong in how I just explained this but I hope it made sense.
haha yea, I get what you're saying. I don't think for aesthetics it's best to measure to the ground. Each fender may have a different shape. I would rather measure from the top of the rim to the bottom of the fender to get my equal gaps and then hope that the car has a natural rake to it like the M5 does.

I think the reason that it's kinda of tricky with the f90 is because the fender well shape from from to back is different. I think the front fender well goes up higher. Could be wrong though lol
__________________
DME: 1848 DA 0-60 2.42 -- 1/8 Mile 6.38 -- 1/4 Mile 9.89 -- 60-130 5.91
Evolve: 1418 DA 0-60 2.48 -- 1/8 Mile 6.47 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.48
JB4: 1096 DA 0-60 2.54 -- 1/8 Mile 6.50 -- 1/4 Mile 10.05 -- 60-130 6.18
IG: @hockeytyme All runs on street with no prep on 21 inch wheels and PS4S tires
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #37
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2658
Rep
5,355
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
haha yea, I get what you're saying. I don't think for aesthetics it's best to measure to the ground. Each fender may have a different shape. I would rather measure from the top of the rim to the bottom of the fender to get my equal gaps and then hope that the car has a natural rake to it like the M5 does.

I think the reason that it's kinda of tricky with the f90 is because the fender well shape from from to back is different. I think the front fender well goes up higher. Could be wrong though lol
I only use ground to fender measures because thats how all my techs measure the cars Ive dropped. Its not going to be meaningful, as you stated, for front vs rear but I need it for side to side. That was my intent when stating how i measure the drop vs the F90 H&R or KW drops. Front vs Front with different hardware only or rear.
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #38
r33_RGSport
Lieutenant General
r33_RGSport's Avatar
United_States
5383
Rep
13,623
Posts

Drives: 997.1 C4S / F39 X2 / F97 X3MC
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytyme View Post
haha yea, I get what you're saying. I don't think for aesthetics it's best to measure to the ground. Each fender may have a different shape. I would rather measure from the top of the rim to the bottom of the fender to get my equal gaps and then hope that the car has a natural rake to it like the M5 does.

I think the reason that it's kinda of tricky with the f90 is because the fender well shape from from to back is different. I think the front fender well goes up higher. Could be wrong though lol
It is not only F90. All BMW cars (except SUV's) have higher front fender than the rear.

That's when I always ask the customer who is doing coilover or HAS, whether they want to keep the fender gap ratio or level it out for the looks.
__________________
Email: sales@rgsport.com === IG: RGSport_USA
Appreciate 2
Vic552657.50

      08-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #39
hybrid_eg
Lieutenant
hybrid_eg's Avatar
United_States
300
Rep
583
Posts

Drives: '90 S13, '17 F85, '18 F90
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (19)

yep, thats why i always rake the front a bit but rear isnt as tucked.. r33_RGSport windendos photo looks great as a starting point when we do the install.. i like eurohorses stance even better but wont look that good on a brighter color.

i just need to lower the darn car right now, it looks like 4x4 with new wheels since oem tires are stretched a bit so gap appears to be even greater!
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #40
josec70
Brigadier General
1594
Rep
3,765
Posts

Drives: 19' SG M5 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
yep, thats why i always rake the front a bit but rear isnt as tucked.. r33_RGSport windendos photo looks great as a starting point when we do the install.. i like eurohorses stance even better but wont look that good on a brighter color.

i just need to lower the darn car right now, it looks like 4x4 with new wheels since oem tires are stretched a bit so gap appears to be even greater!
Selling a KW HAS kit if interested.
__________________
19' M5C SG
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #41
r33_RGSport
Lieutenant General
r33_RGSport's Avatar
United_States
5383
Rep
13,623
Posts

Drives: 997.1 C4S / F39 X2 / F97 X3MC
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
yep, thats why i always rake the front a bit but rear isnt as tucked.. r33_RGSport windendos photo looks great as a starting point when we do the install.. i like eurohorses stance even better but wont look that good on a brighter color.

i just need to lower the darn car right now, it looks like 4x4 with new wheels since oem tires are stretched a bit so gap appears to be even greater!
Sounds good.
windtendo , can you give me your measurement from upper lip to the fender? Front and Rear.
Or ground to the fender, or center wheel to the fender. Haha. Before I got flamed for not doing a correct way to measure.
__________________
Email: sales@rgsport.com === IG: RGSport_USA
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #42
yellowssm
Captain
yellowssm's Avatar
210
Rep
858
Posts

Drives: 16 M4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: las vegas

iTrader: (1)

Im really considering these now. Are there any negatives to this handling, comfort, bounciness, etc to these springs versus stock?
__________________
19 MBB M5C
16 Yas MarinaM4 (gone)
05 E46 M3 HPF/ProEfi Stage 2.25 (Gone )
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:06 AM   #43
Vic55
Major General
Vic55's Avatar
2658
Rep
5,355
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm View Post
Im really considering these now. Are there any negatives to this handling, comfort, bounciness, etc to these springs versus stock?
After about a month or so of lower mile driving, the car feels good and looks great. Ill admit in Sport Plus suspension the car is bouncy on very uneven roads but pretty taut otherwise. Where I live there are good roads so I switch between Sport and Sport Plus but mostly drive the car in Sport. You can tell the difference between the stock springs and these in compression and rebound. Its not a negative thing but there is an adjustment based on the drop.

Id say on a smooth road I cant tell the difference but there is a bigger rebound on dips but nothing that would drive me crazy. Im glad I did the swap.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2018 BMW M5 First Edition
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #44
yellowssm
Captain
yellowssm's Avatar
210
Rep
858
Posts

Drives: 16 M4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: las vegas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
After about a month or so of lower mile driving, the car feels good and looks great. Ill admit in Sport Plus suspension the car is bouncy on very uneven roads but pretty taut otherwise. Where I live there are good roads so I switch between Sport and Sport Plus but mostly drive the car in Sport. You can tell the difference between the stock springs and these in compression and rebound. Its not a negative thing but there is an adjustment based on the drop.

Id say on a smooth road I cant tell the difference but there is a bigger rebound on dips but nothing that would drive me crazy. Im glad I did the swap.
Thanks for the info. Did you add spacers to your wheels? Did you do a stud conversion or longer lugs?
__________________
19 MBB M5C
16 Yas MarinaM4 (gone)
05 E46 M3 HPF/ProEfi Stage 2.25 (Gone )
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST