BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    OPF Effecting all cars from July 2019, BMW say this is normal (wt*)

03-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Rickolas88_8
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

OPF Effecting all cars from July 2019, BMW say this is normal (wt*)

Hi Everyone, please see my complaint and issue with the car.

During disengagement of the accelerator the engine speed decreases too slowly.

The overrun fuel cutoff is not working, the braking effect of the engine is not always present and fuel is being consumed when off the accelerator at a high rate, can be seen in the fuel mpg gauge.

If the accelerator is pressed and the revs climb above 3000rpm when stationary the engine speed sometimes drops too slowly.

There is no relevant error entered in the DME fault code memory.

Apparently BMW say: All your my issues we published with dealerships last year, all in relation to the OPF/PPF Petrol Particular Filter, so my OPF is trying to clear itself of bad pollutants but has to chuck loads of fuel in to it to resolve it. So it needs to have the right conditions etc. I was advised this is normal and the characteristics of all cars now fitted with the OPF/PPF filter, the car is trying to continually clean and remove bad pollutants, with it being colder months this might be producing more than normal, but it should improve. The said all M5's have been removed from track races due to this issue.

So this has not improved and it seems to do this in every mode possible and however hard or softly I drive it, I'm currently getting around 19MPG sat at 70mph on the motorway vs before this happening I was getting around 34mpg. The car is so consistently unpredictable and unsafe if driving hard due to zero engine breaking. I have attached some videos for you all to see, can someone please put me out of my misery and agree this isn't right. The car has done 8000 miles and never missed a beat before this happened, also when this happens the car stops making its backfires completely. The car stops better if I put it into neutral and brake. Has anyone experienced this or know what it is?

Cheers

videos

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mycuml43xx...tside.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtbtb2lxza...iving.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtbtb2lxza...iving.mov?dl=0

Last edited by Rickolas88_8; 03-09-2020 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

I have noticed that the fuel cut off doesn't always work and noticed the other day I was going down a steep hill coasting and it was only doing 45 MPG!.My car is going into BMW next week and I was going to complain about the fuel cut off but this looks like it maybe normal and I have never experienced this on any other car.

I think a lot of the problems you are having are to do with the OPF and the cleaning of it.BMW have said to you this applies to all cars built from June 19 but your car was built on 27/09/18 and doesn't look like it has had a software upgrade since then so that statement doesn't ring true.

I would be interested how other owners are getting on.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #3
Rickolas88_8
Rep

Hi Ian, thats very interesting, how do you know the car was built then, I picked it up brand new on the 1st Sept 2019. I've managed to get BMW to agree my car isn't right and they're investigating further. Soon as I take the car above 3000rpm it hold the revs and doesn't cut the fuel off. The OPF filter automatically re-gen but mine seems to do it on every journey.

Out of interest how many miles have you done?

I'll keep this post updated
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Using the last 7 digits of your VIN number, you can look up details about your cars build from sites like http://mdecoder.com/
      03-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

That doesn't seem at all right.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C8 RS6

Mine has an OPF but never had those issues - out of interest do you do a lot of town driving?
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
M5stu
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Agree with the previous comments. This isn't normal (I've got a UK M5C with OPF @ 8k miles) and I would take those videos in to BMW service to get them to investigate. Perhaps the OPF or sensor needs a proper clean out or replacement?

Hope you get it sorted quickly 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #8
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickolas88_8 View Post
Hi Ian, thats very interesting, how do you know the car was built then, I picked it up brand new on the 1st Sept 2019. I've managed to get BMW to agree my car isn't right and they're investigating further. Soon as I take the car above 3000rpm it hold the revs and doesn't cut the fuel off. The OPF filter automatically re-gen but mine seems to do it on every journey.

Out of interest how many miles have you done?

I'll keep this post updated
If you look on the drivers door pillar a sticker will tell you the date of manufacturer. My car has done 1500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
Rickolas88_8
Rep

Thanks guys.. Taken the videos to BMW and it went all the way to Munich.

The response I got back is as follows:

The car is normal, the driver should be using engine breaking on an M5, the car is not designed to have engine breaking. The way everything looks in the videos are normal and we stand by our decision and we close the case.

WTAF.... I'm gobsmacked to say the least.

I probably drive a mixture of town and long distance, but recently more town journeys.

I'm going to check the car defo has a OPF from the build date and I'll update you all. If it does anyone got some advice on the next steps, Ideally I want to challenge this and take it as high as I can go, I've driven 8000 miles in this car and know there is quite a lot of engine breaking, especially after coming from the M3, M4's and even the M2. I also know how the car should drive like and this is not normal and if it is a very poor design.

Any advice or help on next steps?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:43 AM   #10
ste0803
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Purple F90 M5 - Stage 1

I also have an OPF car although its a 2018 build and it does not do any of the things you have mentioned and detailed in the videos. There is definitely something wrong with your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys.. Taken the videos to BMW and it went all the way to Munich.

The response I got back is as follows:

The car is normal, the driver should be using engine breaking on an M5, the car is not designed to have engine breaking. The way everything looks in the videos are normal and we stand by our decision and we close the case.

WTAF.... I'm gobsmacked to say the least.

I probably drive a mixture of town and long distance, but recently more town journeys.

I'm going to check the car defo has a OPF from the build date and I'll update you all. If it does anyone got some advice on the next steps, Ideally I want to challenge this and take it as high as I can go, I've driven 8000 miles in this car and know there is quite a lot of engine breaking, especially after coming from the M3, M4's and even the M2. I also know how the car should drive like and this is not normal and if it is a very poor design.

Any advice or help on next steps?

Cheers
Did you ask BMW why your car has these symptoms but other cars off the same prod line don't?
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #12
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

Just watched the videos - definitely weird!
Revs are not going down with no foot on the gas. I assume that you are not going down hill!
My Jan 2019 F90C would be engine breaking and then dropping down the gears.
But if you've switched from longer trips to shorter ones and town driving, maybe it needs a long motorway trip to clear out the OPFs? Get them to finish regenerating. If they're anything like the DPF on my 330d, they can be absolute PITA until you've figured out how they work and what you need to do. Basically the 330d does not like too many short trips. Admittedly my 330d is a Gen 1 DPF, they are much better managed in Gen 2 ones.
I only do long trips in the M5, currently 170miles each time.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:00 AM   #13
Rickolas88_8
Rep

I've tried regenerating it by driving long journeys and leaving it in a lower gear with higher revs and no change. I've now driven the car for around 1500 miles and it does it every journey. The brake disks have now started to crack due to over heating I suppose, this is probably caused by constant braking against the car trying to drive. I've stopped paying for the car and written to the CEO of BMW UK. We shall see what the outcome is.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:09 AM   #14
DannyA
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The brake disks have now started to crack due to over heating I suppose,
Are you running CC?
2016 F10 M5
2010 C6 RS6
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #15
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
I've stopped paying for the car and written to the CEO of BMW UK. We shall see what the outcome is.

Is the car financed with BMW GB, you will have stronger redress if thats the case, I would also suggest insisting you talk to the head of customer services UK and the the usual call centre people, I have had to escalate issue on 2 occasions over the years, both times the car was replaced, BMW GB are generally very good in my view

May also be worth posting on the US site given the larger audience there
Appreciate 0