BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Anyone gone from E60 M5 to F90 M5

05-09-2023, 02:57 PM   #1
MTiz
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - Daytona Violet

Anyone gone from E60 M5 to F90 M5

First post here. Last summer I bought a super rare E60 M5 with decently low miles. Space Grey, Red interior, 6-speed manual, and bone stock. It's in immaculate condition, had 79k miles (now close to 86k), and has all around been a phenomenal car. I ended up getting the rod bearings done a few months back, put some M6 wheels on with new tires, muffler delete (V10 screams!!!), and I have to do the brakes soon.

Anyways over the past year, I've completely fallen in love with the S63 powerplant. I've been able to drive both the F10, F13, and F90 and I loved all of them. The speed and torque of them are insane, and the interiors are great. I was strongly interested in the F10 M5 but the updated technology that comes in the later M6's as well as the F90, along with the fact that they're continuing to come down in price make them a much more attractive option.

The M6 Gran Coupe LCI I think is one of the best-looking BMW's ever made, and the F90's interior as well as the X-drive system is very alluring.

I've never owned a modern car before (my newest is the E60 M5 lol) and I really want to try out something loaded with technology. My daily is an E46 M3 6MT with over 170k miles, so I'd still have a fun, manual, old-school BMW to drive around.

But at the same time, the V10 engine is to die for, this car is appreciating in value whereas everything with an s63 in it is continuing to drop, as well as I know for a fact I'll never be able to find a Grey on Red Manual E60 ever again if I sell this car. I wish I could afford both!!!

Thoughts?

Pics attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F30Andy1778.50
      05-09-2023, 03:32 PM   #2
EM5C
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Garage List
Never made the switch so I have no useful information, but wanted to say what a beautiful car! Would love to own one someday. Best of luck!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:00 PM   #3
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sell the high mileage E46 M3, keep the E60 M5. Switch between the F90 M5 and E60 as you like. This way, you're essentially driving the E60 for free as it will continue to appreciate given you're not absolutely loading the miles on.

That's what I'd do anyways!
      05-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #4
dcohen13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

hard to compare these cars. More than a decade of technology in between them. I have an older manual car for weekends, but I adore my F90 comp for daily driving, and when I want the POWER behind this motor. Drives tame in comfort mode, if you decide to daily the F90. I would say grab an F90 as your daily, while still breaking Huracan owners heats...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:12 PM   #5
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I am not a car collector so I limit myself to 3 cars. Have not had an E60 M5, but did have its little brother, the E90 M3 with 6MT for 10 years. I gave it up for the F90 M5. I am practical and the F90 is faster, handles better, more comfortable and modern, and easier to drive, has AWD to put the power down and help in rain/snow, and has a huge trunk. Does it have the personality or character? Absolutely not. Is it really special, with a hand built 8000+ rpm naturally aspirated motor that makes fantastic sounds? Definitely not. Do I really like it and enjoy driving it? Resounding yes.

My other cars are a 75 2002 that I am restoring and a highly modified turbocharged E36 M3. I can experience classic BMW if I want.

If I had space for another BMW, it would probably be a high revving naturally aspirated model that is still reasonably comfortable and practical to drive, like the E46 M3, E9x M3 or E6x M5/6. But I would not trade my older BMW for one at present. Maybe one day if I give up the E36 M3, I would go for another E9x M3 or an E6x M5/6.
Appreciate 1
dcohen13682.00
      05-09-2023, 04:20 PM   #6
MTiz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Sell the high mileage E46 M3, keep the E60 M5. Switch between the F90 M5 and E60 as you like. This way, you're essentially driving the E60 for free as it will continue to appreciate given you're not absolutely loading the miles on.

That's what I'd do anyways!
The E46 M3 is the one car I don't plan on ever selling. The E60 was a dream car, but the E46 was a downright obsession, starting from Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005. I bought that car when I graduated from college a few years back and got my first big-boy job. I've done countless road trips, made so many friends through that car, have driven it across the country (Maryland to California), and many more countless experiences to come.

I've also dumped a ton of money into it fixing it and getting it to my liking so I don't wanna let it go lol. But you bring up a good point-- the E60 will continue to go up in value if I don't drive it as much, whereas the E46 has so many miles it really won't appreciate much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:21 PM   #7
MTiz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM5C View Post
Never made the switch so I have no useful information, but wanted to say what a beautiful car! Would love to own one someday. Best of luck!!
Thank you! It took me months to find this car, and when I finally did I pounced on it so fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 04:32 PM   #8
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

I will chime in as I have F90 and a very good friend with M6 with a V10 and manual that I’ve driven on few occasions. First and foremost there will never be another V10 manual sedan. Simple as that. Technology and other gimmicks are irrelevant here IMO. V10 power plant is phenomenal. The thing pulls the harder the faster it goes. THAT sound… it is intoxicating.If fuel money for daily driving is not a problem I would definitely keep that V10. It will continue to appreciate regardless of mileage simply because there’s no newer replacement, and you have already done rod bearings. There’s been a lot of hype around those E46 M3s and for a good reason however that M5 is a class of its own. I believe I would try to keep that M5. It’s much harder to find a replacement for it than for E46 M3. I have E63 wagon with 6.2 V8 that I contemplated on selling few times. But when I think about it there’s nothing else like that and I know I will regret it down the road and if you love that V10 you will too. There’s fairly large group of enthusiasts that will always be looking for special car like that. Any that will always work in your favor.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 02:02 PM   #9
Hammer110!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F90M5C, 22 X7M50i

I had the V10 with SMG 1 and yes the exhaust note was awesome. Only BMW I had that sounded better was a 93 M5 Euro car straight six with headers and it sounded like an F1 car. The V10 was a great motor. The current car 22F90 w/ MPE also sounds great and I can tell you it’s by far the fastest BMW I’ve owned (10+ M Cars) and has the most torque as well. Comparing apples and oranges between the F90 and the old V10. IMO F90 is a better car in all areas
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 04:11 PM   #10
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer110! View Post
I had the V10 with SMG 1 and yes the exhaust note was awesome. Only BMW I had that sounded better was a 93 M5 Euro car straight six with headers and it sounded like an F1 car. The V10 was a great motor. The current car 22F90 w/ MPE also sounds great and I can tell you it’s by far the fastest BMW I’ve owned (10+ M Cars) and has the most torque as well. Comparing apples and oranges between the F90 and the old V10. IMO F90 is a better car in all areas
Agree with you except for one thing. OPs car is manual and that makes all the difference. It’s not always about numbers and technology but about experience as a whole. F90 is better car overall but it will not make history like E60 did with V10 that was exclusive and only happened because Bmw was in F1 back than. Manual and V10 will not happen again in a sedan. Ever. So if one isn’t in cars for tech and having newest and latest it ticks all the right boxes. It’s a special car. F90 will never be. Yeah it’s quick. But that’s about it. Just my opinion and OP will have to decide what works for him best.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC502.00
      05-13-2023, 05:29 PM   #11
MSchfiftyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
Agree with you except for one thing. OPs car is manual and that makes all the difference. It’s not always about numbers and technology but about experience as a whole. F90 is better car overall but it will not make envy history liable E60 did with V10 that was exclusive and only happened because Bmw was in F1 back than. Manual and V10 will not happen again in a sedan. Ever. So if one isn’t in cars for tech and having newest and latest it ticks all the right boxes. It’s a special car. F90 will never be. Yeah it’s quick. But that’s about it. Just my opinion and OP will have to decide what works for him best.
I get this sentiment and you're right that there is no replacing a manual V10 from a driver enjoyment experience, or that it will ever be produced again.

However the later F90's will be special in 15-20 years because combustion engines won't exist in any form in cars of this caliber, let alone twin turbo V8 form. The F90 CS will be a legend for decades. If you picked up a 50th edition M5C, it will gather value simply for the same reasons above... everything will be electric at this level, and there will always be purists looking for low-mileage internal combustion examples down the line even if gas is $20/gallon, just like most generations of M cars become over time today.

'24 M3 Comp xDrive
Appreciate 1
jhbodle145.50
      05-13-2023, 05:39 PM   #12
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchfiftyFive View Post
I get this sentiment and you're right that there is no replacing a manual V10 from a driver enjoyment experience, or that it will ever be produced again.

However the later F90's will be special in 15-20 years because combustion engines won't exist in any form in cars of this caliber, let alone twin turbo V8 form. The F90 CS will be a legend for decades. If you picked up a 50th edition M5C, it will gather value simply for the same reasons above... everything will be electric at this level, and there will always be purists looking for low-mileage internal combustion examples down the line even if gas is $20/gallon, just like most generations of M cars become over time today.
This can be true. However the next one will be twin turbo V8 as well we can go on as long as we wish and probably will not agree on that which is ok my point was the same from beginning. V10 with manual happened once and will not happen again. judging by transaction prices clean examples are getting it’s hard to disagree. I own F90 and E60 is not better car overall by no means. In my opinion just not special. Fast, good looking, comfortable, with loads of traction and AWD but doesn’t feel “special” to me. Could be different for others. I don’t like how Bmw went from M5 to Comp to CS etc special version of special version of special version of M5. Not liking it much.
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #13
MSchfiftyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp

Quote:
This can be true. However the next one will be twin turbo V8 as well we can go on as long as we wish and probably will not agree on that which is ok my point was the same from beginning. V10 with manual happened once and will not happen again. judging by transaction prices clean examples are getting it’s hard to disagree. I own F90 and E60 is not better car overall by no means. In my opinion just not special. Fast, good looking, comfortable, with loads of traction and AWD but doesn’t feel “special” to me. Could be different for others. I don’t like how Bmw went from M5 to Comp to CS etc special version of special version of special version of M5. Not liking it much.
I've driven an E60 manual & and R8 V10 manual and they were different but both friggin' excellent experiences, no doubt. It's a different level of visceral compared to what you get with an F90.

I think we've just seen even universally poorly received BMW's become high-value over time, and that's before they've stopped producing internal combustion versions. These last two generations (including the next) of M5 will be valuable down the road just because you won't be able to find anything else that isn't electric. It's going to nudge them into legendary status in 20 years just 'cause.

'24 M3 Comp xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 12:24 AM   #14
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Love the 6-speed in the E60. When I first heard about the M5 CS I thought that might have a stick as well. Ah well.....
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #15
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
Love the 6-speed in the E60. When I first heard about the M5 CS I thought that might have a stick as well. Ah well.....
There was not a chance. Most are buying numbers these days and manual would be slower. Newest iteration of this engine wasn’t designed to work with manual either, so chances were slim to none. Seems like Porsche is doing better job with manuals but their availability is driving prices to ridiculously high levels. It was never cheap but it’s on another level now. However I would spend $150K for a Porsche not a BMW. I am not bashing manufacturer don’t get me wrong but I just don’t see myself dropping that kind of coin on anything currently offered by Bmw. There was a thread somewhere here not that long ago. Enthusiasts are not BMW’s customer target. Exactly why E46 M3s E39 M5s reach current prices. E60s are slowly gaining as well, so it seems like market have spoken.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 11:15 AM   #16
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I do not think BMW has a manual trans that is rated for the torque. They were using the GS6-53 6 speed over its rating in the F10 M5 and others have used it reliably with modded motors making as much torque as the F90 M5 but BMW had to think about warranty issues when factory torque is way over the rating. GS6-53 is rated for 530 NM, which is 391 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 02:58 PM   #17
MTiz
Rep

Quote:
Agree with you except for one thing. OPs car is manual and that makes all the difference. It’s not always about numbers and technology but about experience as a whole. F90 is better car overall but it will not make history like E60 did with V10 that was exclusive and only happened because Bmw was in F1 back than. Manual and V10 will not happen again in a sedan. Ever. So if one isn’t in cars for tech and having newest and latest it ticks all the right boxes. It’s a special car. F90 will never be. Yeah it’s quick. But that’s about it. Just my opinion and OP will have to decide what works for him best.
This is how I feel 100%. I've been following E60 manual prices since I bought mine last year and they've gone nowhere but up. Like you said it's such a special driving experience that won't ever be built again.

But at the same time, I really do want to own a modern M car with all the bells, whistles, and technology, as I've never owned something new. And the F90 is such a gorgeous-looking car inside and out. As much as I want one though, I think I'm just going to keep saving up to eventually own it as well as my other two cars right now. I know if I sell the E60 I'll probably never get to own another one and the prices will shoot to the moon. I want one so badly though
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 04:58 PM   #18
NYG1121
Private First Class
Rep

F90 will be very sought after as time goes by. As others have said, this is literally the last pure ICE M5. And the first with AWD. And has a timeless design similar to E39.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 10:12 PM   #19
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTiz View Post
This is how I feel 100%. I've been following E60 manual prices since I bought mine last year and they've gone nowhere but up. Like you said it's such a special driving experience that won't ever be built again.

But at the same time, I really do want to own a modern M car with all the bells, whistles, and technology, as I've never owned something new. And the F90 is such a gorgeous-looking car inside and out. As much as I want one though, I think I'm just going to keep saving up to eventually own it as well as my other two cars right now. I know if I sell the E60 I'll probably never get to own another one and the prices will shoot to the moon. I want one so badly though
If you decide to sell E60 let me know
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 03:16 AM   #20
Nikolov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F90 M5C, '17 911 TTS

I've went through an E60, an F10 and now have an F90 (my wife's now). Out of the 3, I've enjoyed the E60 the most - that car is special. The only gripe I have with the F90 is the gearbox, it's also the reason why the F90 is my wife's car now. I just hate torque converters with a passion.

The E60 and F90 feel similar in terms of handling, the F90 actually feels more responsive and lighter. Out of the 3, the F90 is by far the best handling car and it can hold its own with much lighter and smaller sports cars. The F10 in comparison felt like steering a submarine.

If you don't mind the slushy feeling of the torque converter, the F90 is a great car and you'll love it. The tech, the performance and the power delivery is great. The gearbox is what kills the joy for me, that's why I got a 911 and gave the F90 to my wife
      05-15-2023, 06:07 AM   #21
damianwo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have gone from E60 to F90 and first and foremost, those are two completely different cars. E60, most problematic vehicle I have ever owned, was so direct and more connected to the driver where F90 is a sports luxury sedan that outperforms most cars on the road, but not as involving as the E60. I think the high revving v10 with longtube headers, 100 octane tune and smg trans that during shifts make you think like someone is hammering the rear diff just make driving that much better. F90 is great balanced car, its my mobile office during the day and when situation requires me to do so, that M button does really change the car into a missile.
Appreciate 2
MTiz35.00