BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Dealer pushing prepay lease

10-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
M5 dude now
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 competition

Garage List
Dealer pushing prepay lease

Most of the time, I have not leased my cars and have had quite a few BMWs over the course of time. I usually pay my cars off after 2 years and then have no payments for another 2 years or so. My M5 is on order for later this year and my client advisor is pushing me to do a prepay lease. I did some research on it but was curious if any of you have had experience with a prepay lease. The prepay lease deal is CP M5 price $114,000 - trade M3 = one time payment $21,600 for 3 years/12K miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

I would not trade your M3, sell it privately.

Prepay leases are a great deal for BMW, not necessarily for you. If you have the cash to pre-pay, put it in a fund and collect the growth/dividend as you make your payments. What is the incentive/discount to pre-pay?
      10-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by momos750 View Post
I would not trade your M3, sell it privately.

Prepay leases are a great deal for BMW, not necessarily for you. If you have the cash to pre-pay, put it in a fund and collect the growth/dividend as you make your payments. What is the incentive/discount to pre-pay?
I believe when you do a prepay lease, BMW waives the sales tax on the car (i.e., they pay it on your behalf). In Texas, that can be a substantial discount as sales tax is 6.25% on the full price of the car (not just the leased/depreciated value over the lease).
      10-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
basque76
Not a BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' BMW 535i (dec.), 19' M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
I believe when you do a prepay lease, BMW waives the sales tax on the car (i.e., they pay it on your behalf). In Texas, that can be a substantial discount as sales tax is 6.25% on the full price of the car (not just the leased/depreciated value over the lease).
Are you sure about having to pay full sales tax on a lease? I didn’t think that was the case. Thought you only pay sales tax on depreciation amount.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
DenverF10M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by basque76 View Post
Are you sure about having to pay full sales tax on a lease? I didn’t think that was the case. Thought you only pay sales tax on depreciation amount.
I wish this was the case, but every state is different. In Colorado I only paid tax on the monthly payment. Texas instead charges tax on the overall price of the car, even though it's only a 36 month lease. I leased a 2017 Acura NSX with an MSRP of $206k. Texas was going to charge me about $13,000 in taxes spread out over 36 months. I decided to register the car in Colorado. The savings were astronomical.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
XLR8_24/7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M5

If you lease in Texas, you pay tax on the agreed purchase price for the lease. On a $100,000 car, the sales tax = $6,250. If you do a 1 pay lease, you can avoid the sales tax amount. What happens to the amount of money paid up front if you total the car in the first month of leasing? I would think you would recover a good amount of the prepaid lease, but not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyclinician View Post
Most of the time, I have not leased my cars and have had quite a few BMWs over the course of time. I usually pay my cars off after 2 years and then have no payments for another 2 years or so. My M5 is on order for later this year and my client advisor is pushing me to do a prepay lease. I did some research on it but was curious if any of you have had experience with a prepay lease. The prepay lease deal is CP M5 price $114,000 - trade M3 = one time payment $21,600 for 3 years/12K miles.
If that's the actual deal sign tomorrow morning! Something tells me it's not.
That averages down to $600/month all in.
Anybody saying to put that money in a separate account and collect the interest or dividends on it instead of THAT deal has no idea what they are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Quote:
Anybody saying to put that money in a separate account and collect the interest or dividends on it instead of THAT deal has no idea what they are talking about.
He's putting in a huge down payment in the form of his paid off m3. That's why it's such a low lease amount.

Anyone can get that lease if they put 50k down.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #9
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
Quote:
Quote:
He's putting in a huge down payment in the form of his paid off m3. That's why it's such a low lease amount.

Lol... not sure how I skipped over that little detail. Makes much more sense now.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #10
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Lol... not sure how I skipped over that little detail. Makes much more sense now.
Good info here.

https://www.leaseguide.com/articles/prepaid-lease/
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #11
M5 dude now
Private
Rep
Drives: M5 competition

Garage List
I actually printed out that exact article. Good material and i used it for the dealer. Had to talk to the finance dude.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #12
EDDYFIG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

NEVER do a prepay lease, NEVER
      10-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDYFIG View Post

this was my thought, if car gets totaled, you're out some cash...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #14
EDDYFIG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDYFIG View Post

this was my thought, if car gets totaled, you're out some cash...
Exactly!!!!! You pay the depreciation up front.