BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    zf8 manual mode

04-11-2024, 09:43 PM   #1
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

zf8 manual mode

zf8 in manual mode. '22F90

anyone ever have their tranny reject a command?

for example:

4th to 5th; immediately after the shift, the tranny automatically shifts back to 4th.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 05:43 PM   #2
GTTC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Were you slowing down?…. It will downshift for you automatically to avoid stalling the engine. Only once I was slowing down while downshifting 5, 4, and right as I was going to hit 3rd it went to 3rd by itself and I accidentally hit 2nd. I almost shit my pants because the engine rev’d high. Not past the limit but I wasn’t expecting it. So now I am a bit more careful while slowing down.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 07:42 PM   #3
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

No, this is happening when upshifting only, typically around 4-5k rpms, light to medium load.

What you’ve described is normal tranny behavior.

I am going to have the fluid checked next.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 09:12 AM   #4
GTTC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
No, this is happening when upshifting only, typically around 4-5k rpms, light to medium load.

What you’ve described is normal tranny behavior.

I am going to have the fluid checked next.
Interesting.... I wouldn't be too concerned about fluid on a sealed "lifetime" transmission until past 100K or so unless there are signs of a leak. On the other hand is still a good idea to check just to rule that out. Have you done any programming to it? It could be a software glitch. Or a command mismatch between your paddle shifters and the gear selector, or a loose connection that vibrates at a certain speed and kicks it back.
I obviously don't know everything or experience your issue but usually gear skip/erratic is followed by some type of vibration or harsh shift.
I hope you can get it sorted out without issues. It would definitely drive me insane if it happens to me.
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1885.50
      04-13-2024, 10:45 AM   #5
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep

The dealer reset all of adaptations and shifting was fine for about 150 miles. The issue then came back after that. Seems like after 2 hours or so of driving I cannot duplicate the issue. maybe the tranny is cold or low on fluid from the factory (which is a reach). the tuner I've spoken with say the tranny has been bullet proof. I have not been able to discern between this being a hardware or a software issue. car is completely stock.
Appreciate 1
GTTC56.00