BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 6MT? This is the best free mod you'll ever do

04-03-2024, 08:23 AM   #1
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

After having bought the "CDV Free" clutch slave 2 years ago, I finally got around to changing the CDV out, but I didn't even have to use the new clutch slave.

Kern417 made a great video showing how to do it for FREE11!!1!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFict1fzerE
All you need is to get the central under panel off with 8mm and 10mm.

For this job, you'll need:
-#8x3" wood screw
- locking plyers
-13mm socket
-3/8" ratchet and short extension

Benefits of this mod:

The driveability benefits are numerous:
- less clutch slippage between shifts which makes engagement quicker and puts less wear and tear on the clutch so it should also last longer

- less whiplash on engagement if you know how to shift and don't have to wait so long for the CDV to bleed out so you can keep up with traffic easier

- quicker engagement means on fast shifts it retains more boost between gears (without powershifting). I was able to maintain 6psi boost which made the car accelerate much faster. I felt like I hit a 50 shot of nitrous compared to how it was before. This was a benefit I never expected with this mod but I think it is legit and it makes sense. I always felt like the throttle tip-in on shifting was soft on this car so I'm hyped that this made a huge difference. This is one of those things that doesn't require higher octane, a more aggressive tune, or have any real negative consequences (so long as you're not dumping the clutch at every stop light, shocking the drivetrain.)

Overall 11/10 mod because it's free and helps with performance and reduces clutch wear.

Update: pedal was a bit soft so I bled the clutch line with my Motive Power Bleeder (M2 uses same reservoir for clutch and brakes). Fluid was dark so I'm glad I did. I would suggest bleeding the clutch line as part of this mod.
Appreciate 4
CSBM52725.50
agentrnge382.00
      04-07-2024, 08:22 AM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Thanks for the video. It was clear and easy to follow. I think I may do this mod myself when I get a warm day.
Appreciate 1
n8dgr84178.00
      04-07-2024, 09:46 AM   #3
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Thanks for the video. It was clear and easy to follow. I think I may do this mod myself when I get a warm day.
The only thing I would add is that I had to bleed the clutch line as it got a bit soft (but still worked.) Luckily I had some SRF leftover and a Motive bleeder.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 11:30 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0