BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    "pre-braking" with paddle shifters to spare the brakes

04-11-2021, 02:27 AM   #23
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
This seems rather dramatic. Horribly unsafe? I'm interested to see how you would you describe drunk driving and drifting at 90 mph on the highway.
Easy.

Fatal.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #24
MoeMuc
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPtDrift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrntRubber View Post
I engine brake with all my cars. Sounds good too
Sounds horribly unsafe and the mark of an inexperienced driver.
That is absolutely exaggerated. There is no reason why it should be unsafe maybe it feels so to you - but especially an experienced driver should be able to handle a simple downshift. Sure - downshifting from the 4th to the 1st gear at about 30mph on a wet road could get exiting if everything that could save you is turned off - but I don't think this is the point here.

As I sad above - nothing that you should do at high revs and just for the fun - that could wear the gearbox. But especially during a road trip in the alps - I try to use the engine brake as much as possible, otherwise I have an overheated brake system that wouldn't work properly if really needed in an emergency situation.
And for those who don't do it that much - you still use the brakes for a full stop or if you really need some stopping power - the engine brake never gives you a „one pedal" driving, like an EV does. The Engine brake gives you about -2 m/s^2 of deceleration- getting above that would mean that you really rape your gearbox.
And of course - it's not about saving € or $ on brake pads.
      04-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #25
MoeMuc
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

By the way I just looked in the drivers manual and could find a reference to the engine brake. In the german manual it is mentioned at the chapter about "braking safely". You should find the same in the English version. It is specifically recommended (even manually shifting to the 1st gear to increase the brake force) to do it - for example downhills.
Attached Images

04-12-2021, 02:01 AM   #26
BrntRubber
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 991 Speedster and F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMuc View Post
That is absolutely exaggerated. There is no reason why it should be unsafe maybe it feels so to you - but especially an experienced driver should be able to handle a simple downshift. Sure - downshifting from the 4th to the 1st gear at about 30mph on a wet road could get exiting if everything that could save you is turned off - but I don't think this is the point here.

As I sad above - nothing that you should do at high revs and just for the fun - that could wear the gearbox. But especially during a road trip in the alps - I try to use the engine brake as much as possible, otherwise I have an overheated brake system that wouldn't work properly if really needed in an emergency situation.
And for those who don't do it that much - you still use the brakes for a full stop or if you really need some stopping power - the engine brake never gives you a „one pedal" driving, like an EV does. The Engine brake gives you about -2 m/s^2 of deceleration- getting above that would mean that you really rape your gearbox.
One sec, let him put his helmet back on.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:38 AM   #27
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMuc View Post
That is absolutely exaggerated.
Part of safe driving is communicating driving activity to the vehicles around you. Decelerating, without notification, even gradually, to vehicles behind you, is not safe. Period.

Quote:
There is no reason why it should be unsafe maybe it feels so to you - but especially an experienced driver should be able to handle a simple downshift.
The simple fact that you view this solely through the lens of the driver, and not the vehicles around the driver shows you're missing the point.

Having said this, everything that a driver does should be a setup to the next step. Deceleration through the gearbox does not set the driver up for anything other than increased deceleration and upsets balance if correction is needed.

Quote:
Sure - downshifting from the 4th to the 1st gear at about 30mph on a wet road could get exiting if everything that could save you is turned off - but I don't think this is the point here.
"if everything that could save you is turned off." Hmmm. Altering driving behavior because of electronic nannies as a safety net is not good driving.

Quote:
Ok, let's be clear here. The OP was talking about dropping speed from 90 to 30 or lower, using his transmission, NOT managing speed, while driving down a mountain road. I certainly take no issue with your use of managing speed, in effect, mitigating acceleration by using the engine and transmission while coming down a mountain road - but that's not anywhere near what the OP was suggesting, at all.

Quote:
And for those who don't do it that much - you still use the brakes for a full stop or if you really need some stopping power - the engine brake never gives you a „one pedal" driving, like an EV does.
Of course note.

Quote:
The Engine brake gives you about -2 m/s^2 of deceleration- getting above that would mean that you really rape your gearbox.
To say nothing about failing to communicate to other drivers that you are indeed decelerating. Again, managing downhill speed, sure. Drop a gear or two. Nothing wrong with that. Pulling down on speed from 90mph on an offramp, just to hear the engine spin up? Nope. No bueno.

2021 F90 Comp LCI Frozen Marina Bay Blue/Aragon Brown Full Merino
2020 F83 Comp LCI Porsche Chalk/Black Full Merino
2018 F82 Comp LCI Mineral White/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
2017 F83 Comp Black Saphhire/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #28
FourPtDrift
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrntRubber View Post
One sec, let him put his helmet back on.
Cute. But only for the track.

2021 F90 Comp LCI Frozen Marina Bay Blue/Aragon Brown Full Merino
2020 F83 Comp LCI Porsche Chalk/Black Full Merino
2018 F82 Comp LCI Mineral White/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
2017 F83 Comp Black Saphhire/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
Appreciate 0