BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums USA - California    Advise on 3rd party extended warranty

07-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #1
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Advise on 3rd party extended warranty

Next month (August) my 2018 M5 factory warranty will expire. I have already received quotes for the BMW Platinum and Axiom Platinum extended warranties from Steve Thomas BMW per the recommendation of one of our forum members.

My M5 is a weekend driver only since I have a take home vehicle for work. Currently it has 10,400 miles. I have no problem with the BMW warranty and it will only provide an additional 3 years of coverage. So, I am interested in 3rd party warranties that will push out the warranty for an additional 5 years.

I already went to my local BMW service department where I get my M5 serviced seeking advice on which extended warranties outside of BMW they have had issues with claims being denied. Zero help, they directed me to the finance department.

I like the terms limits for Axiom (60 months and 50k additional miles) but my service department has never heard of them nor the finance department. Reading complaints from the BBB I am not going with them. If an issue comes into play and the engine needs to be disassembled the customer will have to pay for the tear down of the engine for an inspection. I read one complaint of a leaking gasket that caused an internal engine damage. Claimed denied due to faulty up keep. Then another complaint where coverage was denied when a gasket was seeping and they would not cover the repair till it began dripping oil.

So, I turn to the forum for recommendations of a 3rd party extended warranty that will give me more than just 3 additional years. The Finance department representative I spoke with at my dealership was supposed to call / email me a quote for Easy Care and it will be a week this upcoming Thursday and still no reply.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Egrunt; 07-14-2022 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #2
Rotary1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition 2019

Garage List
Extended Warranty

I just sold my F80 that had a Mercury Mechanical Protection warranty. It was great and I actually used it once and there wasn't an issue. Being that I just sold the car, I was able to get back in a refund the unused portion too.

You should check them out, I posted my response at the time here after doing an exhaustive search.https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1911347

Funny because I just traded up to a F90 (2019 Comp) and I will be looking at getting the warranty for this one.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
M3WAL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary1 View Post
I just sold my F80 that had a Mercury Mechanical Protection warranty. It was great and I actually used it once and there wasn't an issue. Being that I just sold the car, I was able to get back in a refund the unused portion too.

You should check them out, I posted my response at the time here after doing an exhaustive search.https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1911347

Funny because I just traded up to a F90 (2019 Comp) and I will be looking at getting the warranty for this one.
How much was mercury for f90?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:10 PM   #4
Rotary1
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The price I paid for the F80 was $3500 4 years and 50k miles with a $250 deductible. The claim I had was for front bushings and control arms plus an alignment. About $850 and they covered all but $250. The mechanics were amazed they covered it no question. I haven't bought the warranty yet for my F90.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2022, 07:11 PM   #5
Rotary1
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The warranty has a cap. 2x the piece paid. So $7k in my case. Read the small print. I read the entire agreement before signing and was ok with that.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #6
FLF90
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

I'd recommend getting in touch with user epicaccord.
He works for a dealer group which includes BMW so he has a solid knowledge of the cars and coverage. He also has access to aftermarket warranties which he does at discounted rates for people in this forum.

He took good care of me and I have coverage which specifically does include / supports modification and tuning. Which is kinda cool!
Appreciate 2