BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Denied warranty because 1000 miles over "break-in service"

08-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #133
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
BMW has a lemon law policy. 3 services for same thing If I recall
lemon law is dictated by state, not manufacturer.
Sorry guess I should have said "policy". It's in the purchase/lease paperwork. My dealer covered it with me.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #134
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
lol. if bmw had stood their ground they wouldn't be in this predicament now... imagine that.
Funny I was thinking the exact same thing. They think they will give this great service replace the engine even after OP blew past his maintenance schedule and now they will have to buy the car back anyway and had to install a new engine.
      12-06-2020, 05:30 AM   #135
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Joe, do you have an update? I hope it has a happy ending, finally.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #136
italiabrain
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Funny I was thinking the exact same thing. They think they will give this great service replace the engine even after OP blew past his maintenance schedule and now they will have to buy the car back anyway and had to install a new engine.
I don’t think it’s plausible that the extra 1000 miles caused the original failure, so what you’re really saying is that BMW should have bluffed this guy hard. The guy who is getting a lawyer at this point probably would have never had that work on him.

I get there’s some divide in this thread over whose fault it is... and yes OP missed their maintenance schedule... but it’s just nuts to me to suggest someone should be out an $80k “you deserved it” penalty because they got an oil change 1000 miles late.

BMW is already on record that service was nearly impossible in some locations. They sent my wife a letter extending her X1 warranty because it was ending around April and service was a disaster.

All OP has to prove is that he had an otherwise warranty covered failure, then the burden is on BMWNA that OP caused that failure.
Appreciate 2
LSM1118.00
lsal134.50
      12-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #137
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90Joe View Post
So where do I even start.... Previous M4 owner, moved over to an M5 competition in January - the car was purchased new, 169 miles on the odometer.

Day the car was delivered (purchased out of state), it had an SOS error so I had to bring it to the dealer to fix it. Drove the car fine and brought it in for break-in service around 2200 miles. Did the service no problem..

Car was due for it's first oil change - brought it into the dealer. When they brought the car out to me I noticed it was louder than normal but thought maybe the guy had it in s3 mode. I drove it about 100 feet to the stop sign and got a "mechanical failure" error message. Turned the car around and it sounded like when you get a utensil stuck inside of a garbage disposal. Car was at the dealer for over a week and I was told "the vehicle stopped making the noises and cannot find any fault codes/error" - They found some metal shavings in the oil filter but BMW NA said that was normal during the break in period.

Shortly after, I started having a problem where you turn the car on and it stumbles, then turns off. Problem became more frequent so I contacted the dealer. They had the car for a week and stated that BMW NA said the vehicle had to be reprogrammed. Gave me the vehicle back, worked fine for a couple of days and started stumbling again.

Yesterday, started the car and got a check engine light. Dropped the car off immediately at the dealer. From reading online, I was sure it was fuel pump since other members had the stumbling issue. Received a call today from the dealer stating that there was a "hard spot" found and BMW NA is denying warranty because the vehicle was brought in 1,000 miles past the "break in miles".

No software on the car, has been serviced at the same dealer since I purchased it and the vehicle only has 5,700 miles on it. I've owned every car brand under the sun and have never heard this non-sense. Car has been back 3x since the break-in service and has been "warrantied". Any BMW NA guys on here that can help out?

Appreciate any help / advice!
Well, they do say to bring the car in at 1,200 miles and no later, or your warranty will be voided. It says it in the contract.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #138
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Quote:
So where do I even start.... Previous M4 owner, moved over to an M5 competition in January - the car was purchased new, 169 miles on the odometer.

Day the car was delivered (purchased out of state), it had an SOS error so I had to bring it to the dealer to fix it. Drove the car fine and brought it in for break-in service around 2200 miles. Did the service no problem..

Car was due for it's first oil change - brought it into the dealer. When they brought the car out to me I noticed it was louder than normal but thought maybe the guy had it in s3 mode. I drove it about 100 feet to the stop sign and got a "mechanical failure" error message. Turned the car around and it sounded like when you get a utensil stuck inside of a garbage disposal. Car was at the dealer for over a week and I was told "the vehicle stopped making the noises and cannot find any fault codes/error" - They found some metal shavings in the oil filter but BMW NA said that was normal during the break in period.

Shortly after, I started having a problem where you turn the car on and it stumbles, then turns off. Problem became more frequent so I contacted the dealer. They had the car for a week and stated that BMW NA said the vehicle had to be reprogrammed. Gave me the vehicle back, worked fine for a couple of days and started stumbling again.

Yesterday, started the car and got a check engine light. Dropped the car off immediately at the dealer. From reading online, I was sure it was fuel pump since other members had the stumbling issue. Received a call today from the dealer stating that there was a "hard spot" found and BMW NA is denying warranty because the vehicle was brought in 1,000 miles past the "break in miles".

No software on the car, has been serviced at the same dealer since I purchased it and the vehicle only has 5,700 miles on it. I've owned every car brand under the sun and have never heard this non-sense. Car has been back 3x since the break-in service and has been "warrantied". Any BMW NA guys on here that can help out?

Well, they do say to bring the car in at 1,200 miles and no later, or your warranty will be voided. It says it in the contract.
I took my car in to swap summer for winter wheels and they told me I was due for a brake fluid and transmission fluid change. I bought the car used so he looked to see if he could transfer over the prepaid maintenance from the previous owner but couldn't. Informed me that when he scanned the vin, an error message popped up that said the 1200 mile service was done at 3000 miles. So they could not transfer it over. I guess the 1200 service is pretty serious.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #139
Megatr0n
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitM5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I took my car in to swap summer for winter wheels and they told me I was due for a brake fluid and transmission fluid change. I bought the car used so he looked to see if he could transfer over the prepaid maintenance from the previous owner but couldn't. Informed me that when he scanned the vin, an error message popped up that said the 1200 mile service was done at 3000 miles. So they could not transfer it over. I guess the 1200 service is pretty serious.
Is there a way to find out if a used M5 has had a 1,200 mile break in on time or before the 1,200 mile mark without having to go to a BMW dealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #140
GranitM5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is there a way to find out if a used M5 has had a 1,200 mile break in on time or before the 1,200 mile mark without having to go to a BMW dealer?
Not sure. I guess it would help if you have a friend that works for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #141
jko2001
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

I don't understand why a failure to get a service done on time would eliminate the prepaid maintenance. Perhaps the warranty is voided (the original topic), but if the services are paid for in the original price of the vehicle and is transferable, why should that change??

Is BMW refusing to provide the services? If not, they're already paid for, BMW should transfer the prepaid maintenance and do the work.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 02:09 AM   #142
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerson View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can see it on the dash at service history
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #143
dougpaper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStammer View Post
break in at 1200 and then another oil change at something less than 10000 miles? never heard that before.
So here is my question. Just purchased a certified M5 december 26th and i am very happy considering i have only driven it 3 times less than 10miles since. The very first oil change doesnt show on the attached carfax. It mentions maintenance inspection at 1500miles and 2766 miles. further down it show oil change at 7400 miles, so was the break in oil change and differential fluid done in the maintenance? That has me thinking. car fax bmw.pdf
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:45 PM   #144
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpaper View Post
Quote:
break in at 1200 and then another oil change at something less than 10000 miles? never heard that before.
So here is my question. Just purchased a certified M5 december 26th and i am very happy considering i have only driven it 3 times less than 10miles since. The very first oil change doesnt show on the attached carfax. It mentions maintenance inspection at 1500miles and 2766 miles. further down it show oil change at 7400 miles, so was the break in oil change and differential fluid done in the maintenance? That has me thinking. Attachment 2500406
It would seem the inspection done at 1500 miles may be the break-in service.

I would pull a service history from your local dealership as it will provide exact details.
GONE: 13' F10 M5|SG|BLACK|AKRA|KW|IND
LONG GONE: 09' E60 M5|02' E39 M5
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #145
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpaper View Post
Quote:
So here is my question. Just purchased a certified M5 december 26th and i am very happy considering i have only driven it 3 times less than 10miles since. The very first oil change doesnt show on the attached carfax. It mentions maintenance inspection at 1500miles and 2766 miles. further down it show oil change at 7400 miles, so was the break in oil change and differential fluid done in the maintenance? That has me thinking. Attachment 2500406
If it's BMW CPO, the Run-In service was done within the permissible mileage limit. Failure to do so would make it ineligible.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #146
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

it happens
Appreciate 0