BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Interior lighting supposed to look like this?

11-11-2023, 02:26 AM   #1
miDrive
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, BMW X5

Question Interior lighting supposed to look like this?

Hi folks. You know the sexy interior lighting on the dash under the media screen? It stretches from the Start/Stop button to the passenger door? Is it supposed to be fully illuminated from side to side or brightest in the center fading to the sides? Mine is the latter. On Dim at Night Driving mode the sides are barely even visible with the center under the screen for about two feet really only illuminated. Is this by design? Wondering if I need to take this in for repair. Has anyone else experienced this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 05:10 AM   #2
whtrabt
Rep
Drives: 19 m5c

https://youtu.be/iZKNdrQgpfg?si=a20kZrutP-UuoGZF

This guy fixes it
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #3
miDrive
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtrabt View Post
Thank you! Will investigate this fix.

I'm curious if others have had this fixed through warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:28 AM   #4
zman21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I have a very similar issue. I have not tried what was posted on the video, but I'm currently on my 4th center dash console (under warranty) for the same reasons. I also had both front door panels redone because they were not consistent with the lighting intensity either. The new lights fixed the issue on those areas, but still working the center dash panel. I continue to get these "spotty" areas where the light is not the same intensity and these are brand new pieces! I'm having my 5th one installed this week. Will let you guys know. I have to say it's very frustrating to spend over $100K on a car and have what I feel is cheap or else a poorly engineered lighting design. Mercedes has the same type of lights in their AMGs and their lighting is perfect all the way around the interior. I elevated this issue to BMW corporate...crickets.

Last edited by zman21; 11-16-2023 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 12:45 PM   #5
zman21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

As promised, I got my new center dash console ambient lighting installed (fourth time's the charm!) today by the dealer. Although it's still not perfect in terms of consistent lighting intensity across the entire section, it's far better than the former one. I'm going to just live with it; it's the best one so far. I've come to the conclusion that no matter how many times I have a new one installed, none of them will be 100% perfect. Some however, are pretty bad and if you have a crappy ambient light area, you can have it replaced under warranty (if it bothers you). Ultimately, It's a design flaw where BMW corporate still won't seem to publicly admit that there's a problem. Kinda like engineering a plastic secondary expansion tank with a vulnerable seam and placing it adjacent to hot turbos.

Last edited by zman21; 11-16-2023 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 11:04 PM   #6
kepatel12
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

I wonder if there is a more permanent fix to prevent this from happening even after having the new trim piece/led strip installed. For the X3 and X5 it looks like BMW issued a service bulletin to address moisture getting into the connectors by applying some type of tape (attached).

Does anyone know if there is a bulletin for the G30/F90? I tried looking online but was not able to find anything.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SIB-630720-FrontPanelLightFailure.pdf (332.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf SIB-ambientLight-MC-10194309-9999.pdf (516.1 KB, 29 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 01:28 AM   #7
Desking101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtrabt View Post
I used this method the other day. One of the tabs was tough to get loose on the right side of the dash, but other than that pretty straightforward. I also didn't disconnect anything behind the panel, I just kind of let it rest there and pulled the tubes out with everything still plugged in besides the tubes themselves. Came out great and looks brand new.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 10:15 AM   #8
kepatel12
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Would this work on the door panel ambient lighting too? Those seem more sensitive to moisture and are prone to developing hot spots.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 04:29 PM   #9
Desking101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepatel12 View Post
Would this work on the door panel ambient lighting too? Those seem more sensitive to moisture and are prone to developing hot spots.
I don't see why it wouldn't, they use the same tubes. Maybe a PITA to take apart
Appreciate 0