BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Turbo Blanket Install - Funk Motorsport

10-18-2023, 04:31 PM   #23
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
So what is the before blanket and after blanket temperatures? Were any modifications necessary?
Also interested in the temp differences

Here's a crazy thought, do you think you could install the Funk jackets on the exhaust part of the turbos and have the PTP blanket over top?

I have both so I may try this in a few weeks and document.
Appreciate 1
916_M5365.00
      11-09-2023, 12:32 PM   #24
swom5
Commander USNR Ret
Rep
Drives: M5, Cayenne S, Ariel Atom 4

Recognize this is an old thread, but the coolant tank dilemma brings me here. I will implement this mod with the PTP blanket in an effort to lower engine bay temps. Following the example of pbonsalb I will also insulate the coolant expansion tank with DEI tape.
Appreciate 1
916_M5365.00
      11-09-2023, 01:18 PM   #25
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by swom5 View Post
Recognize this is an old thread, but the coolant tank dilemma brings me here. I will implement this mod with the PTP blanket in an effort to lower engine bay temps. Following the example of pbonsalb I will also insulate the coolant expansion tank with DEI tape.
What do you estimate your total cost for this? Did you consider the metal tank now available?
Appreciate 1
916_M5365.00
      11-09-2023, 03:18 PM   #26
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Metal tank won’t fail but if issue is really plastic cap failing or venting due to more pressure from excess heat, it may not be enough. My alternative included reduced exhaust back pressure, some downpipe wrapping, and a colder thermostat.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M122.50
      11-09-2023, 06:33 PM   #27
pmsteinm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
How is the turbo cooled off with the blankets in place when the car stops? The blanket will trap the heat in there. The car runs the aux coolant pumps for a while. Is the efficiency high enough to cool it in the time the car allows? It's not clear what temperature sensor or algorithm the car uses to keep the fans and pumps going. Or maybe it doesn't matter because the engine bay saturates quickly when driving and the hood with the fire blanket doesn't radiate much.

If there is more heat trapped what does it do to the oil in the turbos?

I'm keeping a close eye on my coolant levels. I've added 500ml this year but half was on a cold day last week. The change in volume because of the change in density based on temperature delta works out to a little more than I ended up adding. No white residue anywhere yet.
Appreciate 1
916_M5365.00
      11-10-2023, 12:33 AM   #28
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swom5 View Post
I will be posting my review with temp readings within the week. I have a PTP blanket and so far so great.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #29
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
How is the turbo cooled off with the blankets in place when the car stops? The blanket will trap the heat in there. The car runs the aux coolant pumps for a while. Is the efficiency high enough to cool it in the time the car allows? It's not clear what temperature sensor or algorithm the car uses to keep the fans and pumps going. Or maybe it doesn't matter because the engine bay saturates quickly when driving and the hood with the fire blanket doesn't radiate much.

If there is more heat trapped what does it do to the oil in the turbos?.
As far as I know, the engine cooling fans run based on engine coolant temp. I use DEI GT22 turbine wraps since they trap heat in the turbine. The turbo oil and coolant are in the turbo center section, not the turbine. I also wrapped the down pipes, trapping heat in them and obviously there is no oil it coolant in them. I did put heat shield tape under the upper heat shield, but do not think that will heat up the engine V much.

The blanket some use should still allow hot air to escape from the engine Vee around the sides. I would not worry about an adverse effect on the oil or coolant. The fans will run to bring the coolant temp down. I have not seen any coolant or oil temp testing, though. I also have not read about turbo problems from using the blankets. I think it is theoretically better to do what I did rather than the big blanket, but the methods may be equally beneficial with neither having any detrimental effects.
Appreciate 1
pmsteinm316.00