BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    why are the front brake calipers so much bigger than the rear?

01-14-2023, 08:29 PM   #23
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Pretty much, it's the same on motorcycles lol rear brakes are mainly for show while you have double calipers in the front. Bmw in a press release somewhere said it's because of the e brake that they did the one piston in the rear since the m5 is supposed to be a "luxury" car first and foremost unless I was dreaming about it lol. Could they have done a separate caliper for the e brake? Sure, did they need to add weight complexity? Not really considering the rear basically lifts off the ground under hard braking. I'm more intrigued as to why they though the 3 and 4 needed the 4 piston rear since they nosedive pretty badly themselves lol.
Fair point. They could have done the Audi thing and had separate rear braking and parking brake calipers? Complex? Sure. This does make sense for weight and cost. Everything else? Nah. We could have had the M2 competitions rear caliper, and a separate mini drum brake.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Older BMW M had drum rear parking brakes inside the rotor. What is the reason for the e-handbrake? Can’t do “e” if it’s inside the rotor? Why is “e necessary? Cables are too complicated? No space for a hand lever? Weight savings to do it all “e” with a switch? With modern TC, you have “e” going to the rear brake anyway?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 03:55 AM   #25
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Older BMW M had drum rear parking brakes inside the rotor. What is the reason for the e-handbrake? Can’t do “e” if it’s inside the rotor? Why is “e necessary? Cables are too complicated? No space for a hand lever? Weight savings to do it all “e” with a switch? With modern TC, you have “e” going to the rear brake anyway?
Sigh now I'm going crazy trying to find that article from bmw where they explain it 😂 I stumbled upon it randomly because I was like why tf does the 3 and 4 get 4 pistons and we only get one! They basically said a hand brake is fine on that car, and the e brake is what's needed for the 5 because of "luxury" ya know can't be expected to pull a hand brake and all that. Realistically, it adds complexity because of the electric motor that's now needed in the caliper to throw the pressure on. Possibly adds more weight (probably offset by the small caliper) and as far as the tc, that's still all hydraulics and abs, the parking brake or e(mergency) brake as some call it is always a separate system in case of hydraulic failure for that reason, so you have some sort of failsafe to try and slow down the car if all else fails. As for the drum brakes can't really comment on that, but I'd assum those would add a lot of unsprung weight.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2023, 07:49 AM   #26
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

A standard e-brake assembly does not weigh much but the rotor hub has to be heavier duty to serve as a drum and that adds weight though BMW has put e brakes inside floating M rotors before. Maybe it is a compatibility issue related to the CCB option — could e brakes inside the rotor damage the CC? Or a servicing issue — hydraulic is intended to simplify servicing? But I doubt BMW has to replace rotors or e brakes ver often during the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 12:41 PM   #27
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

The F82 M4 with CCB did not have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 08:40 PM   #28
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
What I hate is the cost cutting doesnt afford a separate parking brake like most high end vehicles. BMW can get away with the floating caliper for performance but fixed will always be the better performer and aesthetically superior choice. Integrating the parking brake into the rear caliper just sucks. Haha
I read where the reason BMW and some others don't use a separate parking brake caliper (new C8 Corvette) is because there is more likelihood of warping a caliper after hard use and then parking the car with the parking brake that utilizes a separate caliper. BMW's use small drum brake shoes inside the rear rotors.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 08:52 PM   #29
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
BMW's use small drum brake shoes inside the rear rotors.
Used to. Not now (at least not F90)

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 01:14 AM   #30
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Used to. Not now (at least not F90)

Shawn
Can confirm f10 was integrated into rear caliper as well. Although I'm starting to doubt life right about now according to this press release idk what car I had, but it definitely wasn't an m5! Apparently my f10 m5 identified as a 528i, because I sure as heck didn't see any 6 piston caliper back there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 05:45 AM   #31
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
For both steel and carbon ceramic breaks, the calipers on the front wheels are much bigger (and look better) than in the rear. Why?
Is this a Joke?.
      01-16-2023, 04:31 PM   #32
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Can confirm f10 was integrated into rear caliper as well. Although I'm starting to doubt life right about now according to this press release idk what car I had, but it definitely wasn't an m5! Apparently my f10 m5 identified as a 528i, because I sure as heck didn't see any 6 piston caliper back there.
Concur, unless video maker is lying. Looks like you're right, spec sheet doesn't look right.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 04:34 PM   #33
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Concur, unless video maker is lying. Looks like you're right, spec sheet doesn't look right.

https://youtu.be/8AHlCYkdIP8?t=244

Shawn
Indeed, sad considering it's from the official bmw press release... but hey they also said lci m5 was gonna have brake by wire from the pictures so I wouldn't put it past them at this point. It's funny I stumbled upon that looking up the fact that the f10 also had the e brake in the single piston caliper. (Which it did, just like to double check my info)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 07:19 PM   #34
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Not helpful

Helpful

Not helpful

Not helpful

Fair point

Spot on. I think it makes some people feel good on the inside to put others down. That and some people are just plain mean.
Not helpful.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 03:58 AM   #35
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerx View Post
Not helpful.
I just sometimes question when people going to forums and ask questions and then some just jump in with sarcasm and are complete smart asses? Why? Because these individuals think everyone should have the knowledge they have? And the funny part is I bet the second guy that comes in to be a smart ass doesn’t even think that first man’s comment of sarcasm and being a smart ass is very funny. No one really does, except for the author of the individual pointless post of sarcasm, unhelpfulness, and being a smart ass. So there you go. It brings to mind that childhood cliché that any of us over 50 heard from our mothers, “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all”. It’s stood true then, and it stands true now. Maybe the forum administrator should put a warning at the top of each sub forum that states any questions deemed stupid by forum individuals will be bombarded with sarcasm and meanness at the same level or higher, as that of a middle school classroom.
Appreciate 0