BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    My car got flagged by BMW

03-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #89
olderguy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Drives M5, R8

Tipping = sharing. Don't forget the guy who washes the cars.
      03-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #90
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
I just ask for no wash...I've had nothing but bad experience with that, no matter who does it at the dealer(s)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:34 AM   #91
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
Then I will tip myself, as I am the only one who washes our cars.
      05-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #92
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
It means the foreman is an ass.
I like your response!
      05-14-2019, 02:28 AM   #93
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I so wholeheartedly agree--WHAT A DICK!

In the world of Audi, they call this a TD1 and it's an effective means for warranty claim refusals... but I've yet to learn what the impact is in the world of BMW.

Sorry, dude!
In the Audi world, cars have to get hooked up to the computer the second they come in and scanned before any work is even performed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 05:50 AM   #94
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Don't know why most everyone in here is jumping down the dealers throat.

It's simple, BMW doesn't want you tuning the car, blowing it, and taking it in for warranty work like MANY have done (or tried to do) i don't care who is willing to admit it or not. I personally know 7-9 people who have blown f10's, all from modfications, some got away with new motors, some not so much. Thats the game unfortunately.

Bottom line is OP should've been smarter and removed the modification beforehand, regardless of what the car was in there for. Sorry to hear this. You now have a brand new 100k m5 with zero motor coverage.
^^^ this ^^^^

Crazy how many people in our relatively small group blew engines ....
This is why even though I have purchased HCP tune but I haven't installed it yet. M5 in my country cost me 300k and I'm on the fence on whether to go for it or not....though warranty is over this month so I might just go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #95
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
In the Audi world, cars have to get hooked up to the computer the second they come in and scanned before any work is even performed.

So does BMW, thats how they read the codes. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 04:00 AM   #96
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

You play , you pay ...
Appreciate 1
josec704074.00
      05-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #97
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
So does BMW, thats how they read the codes. lol
The car is hooked up to the computer when the tech takes it to the back. With Audi, they have to hook it up when you get out of your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #98
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickburn7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Quote:
My car had a check engine light and a flat tire and was towed to the dealer. I couldn't remove the RaceChip and it was caught by the foreman and the car was flagged.
For those who have experience with this what does this mean?
Is CEL still there? Is it directly related to RC?
Please elaborate made me nervous
This is what going to cause someone comes with conclusion that RaceChip causing CEL ot blown motor.

Let OP comes back with the detail.

There are so many possibilities with CEL itself.
G30 5-series, G01 X3, G02 X4, and G12 7-series gave out CEL just because the Active Grill is malfunction.
So, it is not necessarily because of the RaceChip.
My Cel went away tonight randomly. From what I remember the paper work mentioned something about air sensor fault in turbo chargers however I'll get the correct language tomorrow.
I always tip my SA with a $250 Amazon gift card every time I get my cars back.

This was just a mistake by me for not removing the race chip but it does suck that they flagged it and did not speak to me first
LMAO
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #99
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Quote:
My car had a check engine light and a flat tire and was towed to the dealer. I couldn't remove the RaceChip and it was caught by the foreman and the car was flagged.
For those who have experience with this what does this mean?
Is CEL still there? Is it directly related to RC?
Please elaborate made me nervous
This is what going to cause someone comes with conclusion that RaceChip causing CEL ot blown motor.

Let OP comes back with the detail.

There are so many possibilities with CEL itself.
G30 5-series, G01 X3, G02 X4, and G12 7-series gave out CEL just because the Active Grill is malfunction.
So, it is not necessarily because of the RaceChip.
My Cel went away tonight randomly. From what I remember the paper work mentioned something about air sensor fault in turbo chargers however I'll get the correct language tomorrow.
I always tip my SA with a $250 Amazon gift card every time I get my cars back.

This was just a mistake by me for not removing the race chip but it does suck that they flagged it and did not speak to me first
LMAO
Two and a half years late to the party but with an entry that piqued my curiosity—why LMAO?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #100
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

Quite interesting the way BMW deal with tuning in this case.

With my E63S, I had it custom tuned and it was 'flagged' at service.

Instead of voiding the warranty, they refused to service it without a new ECU. I bought a new stock ECU for £800 and job done, full warranty and service back on line and then all I did was get the tuner to put the old ECU back in and vice versa when service was up?

It ultimately cost the extra £800 but got round the issue.

My F90 arrives in September, not planning on tuning but getting a Akra fitted but have got the dealer to acknowledge and agree it prior to fitting to ensure no issues in future, though they are not removing the OPF or tuning ECU so shouldn't be an issue anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #101
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugsy01 View Post
Quite interesting the way BMW deal with tuning in this case.

With my E63S, I had it custom tuned and it was 'flagged' at service.

Instead of voiding the warranty, they refused to service it without a new ECU. I bought a new stock ECU for £800 and job done, full warranty and service back on line and then all I did was get the tuner to put the old ECU back in and vice versa when service was up?

It ultimately cost the extra £800 but got round the issue.

My F90 arrives in September, not planning on tuning but getting a Akra fitted but have got the dealer to acknowledge and agree it prior to fitting to ensure no issues in future, though they are not removing the OPF or tuning ECU so shouldn't be an issue anyway.
Truthfully your relationship with the service advisor will play a huge role. They don't care how much money you are worth or what cars you have. Especially in major cities, they'll have clients who can shit all over people's net worth, celebs or other famous individuals - basically we ain't shit except humans who walk into service. Treat 'em kind with respect and throughout the years, with all the things that have gone wrong due to my choices? I've yet to have to come out of pocket.

Bolt ons? Unless you're a dick, they do not care. It's the equivalent of a police officer pulling you over for having something hanging off your rear view mirror or too dark of tints. They'll leave you alone for the most part, but if you be acting like a fool, they can use that as an excuse to pull you over - much like the service department can use mods to their discretion. You a solid dude? Don't act like you own the dealership? Don't demand a loaner? They got you for sure, lol.
Appreciate 3
Slugsy01157.00
VPRKLR63.00
ToddinTN504.00
      08-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #102
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Truthfully your relationship with the service advisor will play a huge role. They don't care how much money you are worth or what cars you have. Especially in major cities, they'll have clients who can shit all over people's net worth, celebs or other famous individuals - basically we ain't shit except humans who walk into service. Treat 'em kind with respect and throughout the years, with all the things that have gone wrong due to my choices? I've yet to have to come out of pocket.

Bolt ons? Unless you're a dick, they do not care. It's the equivalent of a police officer pulling you over for having something hanging off your rear view mirror or too dark of tints. They'll leave you alone for the most part, but if you be acting like a fool, they can use that as an excuse to pull you over - much like the service department can use mods to their discretion. You a solid dude? Don't act like you own the dealership? Don't demand a loaner? They got you for sure, lol.
I would agree 10 years ago. But now, BMW can detect potential tunes when they connect it to their system, and of course go in much deeper if they need to send someone out. The relationship with the SA will not help at all as this is over their head.

It's like asking the waiter to prepare a meal when it's the cook who does the cooking.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:48 PM   #103
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Quote:

I would agree 10 years ago. But now, BMW can detect potential tunes when they connect it to their system, and of course go in much deeper if they need to send someone out. The relationship with the SA will not help at all as this is over their head.

It's like asking the waiter to prepare a meal when it's the cook who does the cooking.
You don't have to agree, but I am speaking from personal experience and not just speculating.

And yes, all within your 10 year time frame including issues in 2019-2020.

Not all SA's are the same. No dealerships are the same. No service departments are the same.

You are right, they do have the tech to see things much more on a surface level then they have in the past and warrant denials are done corporate level outside the dealerships but the way you stated that as end all be all fact? All of us would've been fucked with the piggies and tunes and whatnot, just going in for a simple oil change.

If all that isn't enough for you? My current car is modded and tuned - have had multiple warranty issues INCLUDING having had to flash back to stock. In this scenario, I asked the waiter to tell the cook how I would like my meat prepared.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:21 PM   #104
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh I'm not doubting that you get warranty work done while the car is tuned and you can ask them not to connect your car if you don't want to - that's not a secret.

But if your engine blows, no SA will save you. Those are just facts. We are not talking about small (relateively speaking) warranty claims, but a $50k engine replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:36 PM   #105
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Oh I'm not doubting that you get warranty work done while the car is tuned and you can ask them not to connect your car if you don't want to - that's not a secret.

But if your engine blows, no SA will save you. Those are just facts. We are not talking about small (relateively speaking) warranty claims, but a $50k engine replacement.
Oh that for sure. You can offer to get on your knees to blow your SA and that ain't gonna save you, lol. My bad, you made it sound like you stroll into dealership to top off oil and suddenly the alarms go off like Monsters Inc and a buncha hazmat dudes repel in and flag your car.
Appreciate 3
afo818254.50
limeypride4425.00
      08-13-2021, 11:46 PM   #106
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh that for sure. You can offer to get on your knees to blow your SA and that ain't gonna save you, lol. My bad, you made it sound like you stroll into dealership to top off oil and suddenly the alarms go off like Monsters Inc and a buncha hazmat dudes repel in and flag your car.
HAHA!

Oh no, not at all. In that case the SA (or whoever is taking care of you) needs to be a real dick to flag a car during an oil change or regular mainteance.

I was referring to when shit hits the fan and they start really digging into the car to find a reason not to honor a warranty.
Appreciate 1
shoei7779.00
      08-13-2021, 11:57 PM   #107
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
HAHA!

Oh no, not at all. In that case the SA (or whoever is taking care of you) needs to be a real dick to flag a car during an oil change or regular mainteance.

I was referring to when shit hits the fan and they start really digging into the car to find a reason not to honor a warranty.
Yeah that is 100% accurate. They've taken it out of the dealerships hands cuz, well, I guess those blow jobs used to work, LOL
Appreciate 0