E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Nurburgring August 2010....

07-12-2010, 04:22 AM   #23
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Insuring a 335 will be about 250 a day with something like 5k excess.

Matt
Hrm...tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
That is alsot he legal situation for cars that are insured in Germany. There have been some decisions of courts that have clearly ruled that as the 'Ring is part of public traffic (just with a toll), insurances cannot claim that it's a racing event and deny insurance.

However, I'm not sure they'll also cover the armco (if damaged) and the loss of profit for the 'Ring due to closure.
I will check my policy to see if the Ring is excluded.

Quote:
On a sidenote, I was at the 'Ring yesterday morning for some laps (I did 8 in total), and there are really some serious fools driving around. Twice one or two cars passed me and I saw them crashed later on; on another time, three cars chasing each other (including a new Porsche GT3) crashed and at least two of them (including the GT3) were totalled.

Reminds me not to drive faster than I can reasonably control.

Alpina_B3_Lux
This is the other issue isn't it. As careful as you are there's no accounting for the stupidity or just plain bad luck of someone else getting into an incident and collecting you!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 05:30 AM   #24
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
If your that worried best not to risk
it.
      07-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #25
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
If your that worried best not to risk
it.
Quite. It's sad because I know I am missing out big time
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 06:14 AM   #26
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve
This is the other issue isn't it. As careful as you are there's no accounting for the stupidity or just plain bad luck of someone else getting into an incident and collecting you!
When I went in March, at one point Ant (I can't remember if Tone was onboard) and I were approaching the first hairpin (I dunno the names) and there was a TVR which had passed us maybe 30 seconds before.... He had hit the inside of the corner and was in the middle of rolling backwards (downhill) across the track.... I had to cut the hairpin across the middle, between the armco and the rolling TVR (through the debris) to avoid T-Boning him.

Later on that same weekend when we had finally got the M3 fixed I had about 8 laps on my own, with Ant, Tone, Sarah and others etc. Despite the pissing weather, I really was determined to go out and enjoy the car...

Marcel probably doesn't know this (Sarah is his missus) but on the lap I took her out I was driving very carefully due to the rain and the fact that I had precious cargo on board..... About 5 corners in (again I don't know the name) but as the track arcs sharply down and slowly left before cutting across to the right quite steeply (before the first chicaney bit) there was an Audi R8 smashed to pieces, pissing petrol across the track and with a recovery truck shielding it and blocking half the way past with cones.... I broke hard and straight and locked up my recently changed brakes, let off to coast across the sea of gas and then spent the rest of the lap driving through the sand, water, oil and shite that had amassed during the two hour closure that had come from a car before which had lost 8 litres of oil over 13 miles.

Obviously we came off unscathed (although as we were coming off the track an RS4 flagged me down, pulled alongside and mentioned that parts were hanging off the car - just the undertray) but it was hairy and scary.

That day Ant and I went out for a lap and actually saw a 330i hit the wall, then two Golf's hit each other and fly onto the grass throwing crap all over me and the track.

Finally, with Tone in the car (he was shouting at me to COME INSIDE, NOW) I had to politely remind him that THE WORLDS LARGEST, LEAST ATTRACTIVE ERECT PENIS of an English fuckwit was in the process of undertaking us on a hairpin (he went onto the grass after that, epic fail) and I couldn't move over until he had passed lol.

Despite all this.... Would I take the Boxster S? Yeah fucking right - I am gonna do too. I am Definitely glad I had the M3 last time and I could be a bit more gung ho because I wasn't bothered if I crashed (and I was insured) but this time I can be confident because I know the track and will be insured etc.

Matt

PS - Marcel - hope you and Sarah are alright mate and it will be good to see you again in August if you're there... I'll try not to annoy you when ordering food in English and being a bit slow to pick up the language this time hehe!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #27
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E46 M3 / Bmw E30 318i cab

Quote:
When I went in March, at one point Ant (I can't remember if Tone was onboard) and I were approaching the first hairpin (I dunno the names) and there was a TVR which had passed us maybe 30 seconds before.... He had hit the inside of the corner and was in the middle of rolling backwards (downhill) across the track.... I had to cut the hairpin across the middle, between the armco and the rolling TVR (through the debris) to avoid T-Boning him.

Later on that same weekend when we had finally got the M3 fixed I had about 8 laps on my own, with Ant, Tone, Sarah and others etc. Despite the pissing weather, I really was determined to go out and enjoy the car...

Marcel probably doesn't know this (Sarah is his missus) but on the lap I took her out I was driving very carefully due to the rain and the fact that I had precious cargo on board..... About 5 corners in (again I don't know the name) but as the track arcs sharply down and slowly left before cutting across to the right quite steeply (before the first chicaney bit) there was an Audi R8 smashed to pieces, pissing petrol across the track and with a recovery truck shielding it and blocking half the way past with cones.... I broke hard and straight and locked up my recently changed brakes, let off to coast across the sea of gas and then spent the rest of the lap driving through the sand, water, oil and shite that had amassed during the two hour closure that had come from a car before which had lost 8 litres of oil over 13 miles.

Obviously we came off unscathed (although as we were coming off the track an RS4 flagged me down, pulled alongside and mentioned that parts were hanging off the car - just the undertray) but it was hairy and scary.

That day Ant and I went out for a lap and actually saw a 330i hit the wall, then two Golf's hit each other and fly onto the grass throwing crap all over me and the track.

the TVR lap was just you and me pal

and that was a mess that was on the tight left going up the steep right passed adenoun ( sp ) he made a proper mess of that, along with the race spec'd looking golf !

both showered parts and vital fluids over the track,
      07-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #28
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
No I didn't know that, have to ask her about that tonight! And we both trusted your driving abilities (and still do, obviously!), so it's not a problem if someone else (Audi, what can you say...) takes risks he can't control.

Quote:
Finally, with Tone in the car (he was shouting at me to COME INSIDE, NOW) I had to politely remind him that THE WORLDS LARGEST, LEAST ATTRACTIVE ERECT PENIS of an English fuckwit was in the process of undertaking us on a hairpin (he went onto the grass after that, epic fail) and I couldn't move over until he had passed lol.
Hehe you really had me laughing there, I remember you telling that story afterwards and Tone going like "holy shit that dimwit's totally bananas!!!"...

Quote:
PS - Marcel - hope you and Sarah are alright mate and it will be good to see you again in August if you're there... I'll try not to annoy you when ordering food in English and being a bit slow to pick up the language this time hehe!!!
We are fabulous my friend. And it would be great to see you in August! We'll have Sarah order the food as she's supposed to attend some German classes...

Marcel
      07-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #29
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Hehe you really had me laughing there, I remember you telling that story afterwards and Tone going like "holy shit that dimwit's totally bananas!!!"...

Marcel
Those words don't exist in my vocabulary... far too reserved
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #30
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

don't think i can make august chaps,

i got a holiday already booked, but will definitely be coming again and with the wife next time !
      07-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #31
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Those words don't exist in my vocabulary... far too reserved
Hehe I didn't want to be to expletive in the forum...

BTW Tone: I'm most probably going to be on the 'Ring on the last week-end of July (24/25), at least on one day. Marcel (the Dutch one) will also be there (if his car doesn't act up again). You fancy comin' over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1985 View Post
don't think i can make august chaps,

i got a holiday already booked, but will definitely be coming again and with the wife next time !
Pity! Would be nice to see you again Ant. 'Ring is also a kind of holiday!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #32
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hehe I didn't want to be to expletive in the forum...

BTW Tone: I'm most probably going to be on the 'Ring on the last week-end of July (24/25), at least on one day. Marcel (the Dutch one) will also be there (if his car doesn't act up again). You fancy comin' over?

Alpina_B3_Lux
I've just decided I'm coming that weekend in July - will be out there on Friday 23rd and will be coming back on the Monday morning!!! Matt (from Battersea) and a couple of his friends are heading over for that weekend

Mercure again?!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #33
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Alpina_B3_Lux
i know mate but maybe next time !
      07-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #34
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Details of the August 'Ring trip are now posted

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407330
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #35
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
I've just decided I'm coming that weekend in July - will be out there on Friday 23rd and will be coming back on the Monday morning!!! Matt (from Battersea) and a couple of his friends are heading over for that weekend

Mercure again?!
That's excellent! We'll both be there on Saturday and Sunday then. I'll book the Ibis hotel.
EDIT: Done.

Alpina_B3_Lux

Last edited by Alpina_B3_Lux; 07-12-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #36
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

I've been to rent4ring purely to get my brake fluid changed. Plus they sell tyres which is good Got some R888's for the pug.

Awesome bunch of guys very friendly great service etc.

Off topic but tangeant
      07-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #37
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:

Mercure again?!
How many of you guys will be there on this week-end finally? I'm coming of course, and the other Marcel (from Switzerland) will be there too.

Let's hope the weather stays good!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #38
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

already there! weather looks great, will not be too hot. looking forward meeting you guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #39
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
already there! weather looks great, will not be too hot. looking forward meeting you guys!
Envy you, man! Have fun driving. Tone should be there during the day too so be on the lookout for him!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #40
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Envy you, man! Have fun driving. Tone should be there during the day too so be on the lookout for him!

Alpina_B3_Lux
Wow, soooo tired

Up at 4am, Eurotunnel at 6am, Ring by midday, five laps driving (two sunny, three absolutely torrential rain!), four laps passengering, trip to the garage, scenic route to the hotel, now going for food....

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #41
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I'm sorry to say this guys but due to the poor turnout I'm unlikely to make this...

I am sorry, and cash is waiting for the next big meet, but with so few I think I would struggle to justify this time!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #42
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Was a great weekend, really nice to meet you guys! was a blast. Also my dad really enjoyed the dinner. Next time you should take a room nearby
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #43
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry to say this guys but due to the poor turnout I'm unlikely to make this...

I am sorry, and cash is waiting for the next big meet, but with so few I think I would struggle to justify this time!!

Matt
Few?

Matt (Battersea)
Ed & Mandy (I think)
Marcel
Tim
Me
Palmnuts
Jon (hopefully)
Lars (hopefully)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:36 AM   #44
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
Was a great weekend, really nice to meet you guys! was a blast. Also my dad really enjoyed the dinner. Next time you should take a room nearby
Absolutely! It was really great meeting you & your Dad, nice that it finally worked out!

The two days were really cool (again!) - the weather was almost ideal (not too hot, no rain except Friday), the 'Ring was not closed too often (even though it was very busy), we had loads of fun talking, driving, making fun of each other and so on. Lots of great cars also on the 'Ring this time - brand new Ferraris (quite a few of them), two Carrera GTs (from England), a Mercedes SLS...

@Matt: I'm sure you'll enjoy it a LOT, and there already seem to be quite a few people interested in the next trip.

Thanks also again to Tony, whose driving skills, technical expertise, generosity and kindness are without equal and should not be taken for granted!

Alpina_B3_Lux