BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

New to 135i

Just replaced my 10 years-old AudiTT FWD 180 HP Roadster with a 2008 135i convertible.

Love the engine and the total absence of torque steering.

Some details on the 135 are shoddy, though. Starting with the plastic covers on what I think would be headlamp washers (not installed on my car)---very flimsy. The dashboard plastic material looks high grade, but the very cheesy plastic covers on the A-pillars look so cheap! There is a lack of storage bins in the cabin. I guess you can't beat Audi when it comes to interior design.

The seating position is also not the best IMHO, it kind of forces me to bend my knees, while in the TT my legs were more stretched. OTOH the sport seats are very nice. The trunk lid is also not as nice as on the Audi. And don't get me started on the iDrive...

Enough criticisms, I have a few questions.

1. I find it ridiculous that the display opens every time I turn the car on, or when I open the top (to inform me that the climate control program has changed---Duh!). I have now mapped one of the programmable steering wheel buttons to close the display. It still annoys me to no end.

2. On the TT, I could very easily turn off the whole ventilation with the pull of a button. On the 135, AC stays on (but in "convertible mode?!?) with the top down. I would very much prefer to turn everything off when my top is down

3. Seat belt gong. It goes off on the passenger seat for no reason (nothing on the seat!) when driving home after a hot sunny day. Can this useless crap be turned off with one of those 3rd party software tools?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Hey welcome to the forum germ. Thanks for the review, sounds like Audi had a much nicer interior. I can speak for idrive though. The idrive system in your 2008 135i was based on relic technology from the better half of a decade ago. It's an extremely poor design in every possible way and completely outdated. Every BMW received the redisgned idrive system for Professional Navigation from 2008 Sep build cars and 09 models. It is leaps and bounds over the old system which I am very familiar with. The new system makes the whole experience a lot better. You should post pics of your Audi TT and your BMW 135i so we can see. Congrats on the purchase mate
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

Sounds like all of your questions are gripes about the car as well. While I admit that initial quality of the interior may seem poor compared to the Audis, from my experiances with both brands, the BMW interior wears much better then the Audi. Even taking great care of the interior on my cousins 06 A6, it still looks like the car is 10 years old. The leather just doesnt seem to hold up to even minimal use and the interior trim seems to mark and scratch so easily. I had the same problem with my first 1 series with the passenger seat belt chiming when no one is even in it. It just went away on its own one day and I never had the issue again.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

I found the answer to my question No. 2 in the manual: Turning the fan down past the minimum actually shuts the whole system off. Very non-intuitive, but it works.

Here are the pics, as requested by BMW86. First, my 10 years old, beloved Audi TT. It is still in good shape and looking for a new home.

As you can see, the TT's interior is something else. Notice how there is much more space around the pedals than in the 135. Of course, no back seats.

Now, my "new" 135i. It is in excellent conditions, not a scratch.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Congrats on joining the club. As for number three I think you should get it checked out. It's new under warrenty might as well get it fixed.
Appreciate 0