BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Add to electronics knowledge base please....

04-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Add to electronics knowledge base please....

Sometimes the customer has to do everything. So sick of half baked explanations for things.

I had my car in for service and one of the items is properly calibrating the sensors for the Heads-Up Display. Older models just use the sensor for the rain sensor and Glass Shops know the proper sequence to re-calibrate the sensor after replacing a windshield. My car was not correctly calibrated after my windshield was replaced so the heads-up display does not get brighter when the sun is bright. It's not visible at all mid-day and clearly was visible (with middle brightness setting) during the day. At night its fine. The rain sensor worked fine and the auto dim headlights were working fine. The front camera appears to be working correctly (middle windshield) which is used to see the lanes, so I know that was working. (other cameras for parking are fine but not related to the dimming of the heads-up display.)

I was told the newer cars use TWO sensors for this but no one can confirm. They told me that they may have put the wrong part in for the rain sensor, but it works as a rain sensor perfectly.

When they were attempting to repair this the RIPPED THE FRIGGEN WIRES right out of the connector by the mirror and tried to tell me that I damaged the connector when I slid the Wire Tap wires into it. ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THIS CONNECTOR!

This connector is now missing (a junction between the wire harness and the connector from the mirror itself), the wires to the mirror are flapping in the wind and I had to repair the wire-tap wires since one was ripped off the pin.

So the point of this thread....Does anyone have access to the actual diagnostic manual to actually have the proper diagnostic sequence for this subsystem? My experience with Bentley Manuals is that such diagnostic trees exist and are the GO-TO for the technicians. These guys are doing "replace a part" blindly game with my car. If there is a sensor in a car, in 2019, then there is a diagnostic tool to READ THAT SENSOR"s output and confirm it's function without taking the car apart.

And don't get me started on the reason why the front bumper cover was not staying on properly. It appears Gault Collision Center broke a part when they took the car apart. A part that was not damaged in the accident. A Bull in China Shop perhaps???? Yesterday the tech did a quick fix with some screws but the replacement part is on order. At least the bumper cover is on correctly now. I'm probably going to opt out of having the actual grill frame replaced if the quick fix holds.

Now I am waiting on a new rear view mirror and new front windshield camera and new rain sensor and new connector they broke, so they can Trial And Error fix this. So pissed off. Should be fun driving at night without the dimming mirror function. Sweet.

Mike
Attached Images

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
So the point of this thread....Does anyone have access to the actual diagnostic manual to actually have the proper diagnostic sequence for this subsystem?

Mike
I have no experience with TIS, but google BMW tis and look through the various sources. Might be something that'd help.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Believe me I have googled the hell out of it. Just sucks that there is not a bentley service manual available for this car.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0