BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 M5 Engine Recall - Full Engine Replacement?!

10-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #133
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Here's an interesting thought.

For the effected engines which have zero miles.

Do you guys think BMW wll fix the issue and then put them back in inventory?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
btsmith47.00
      10-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #134
JDMAF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT xdrive, 2015 STi

Been reading this thread with interest - If I were in a position to make decisions at BMW and it is really true that is only 12 vehicles, I would buy them all back and give each customer a new vehicle. That financial hit is so miniscule for BMW and the good will generated would be worth every dime. Subaru recently did something like this when they found there were faulty welds on their new Ascent SUV - all cars were recalled and destroyed - customers got new vehicles. Its the right thing to do. Cant see why BMW wouldn't do this for such a small # of cars. Anyway wishing the OP best of luck.
Appreciate 3
MParallel541.50
530iDriver1707.50
Fuller1216.50
      10-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #135
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Dealerships have been clueless on replacing the diff oils correctly on these cars, and you think they would do a good job of replacing the engine? I would fight tooth and nail to avoid a nightmare like that.
This!!

I think regardless if lease or purchase, I would fight to avoid an engine replacement. My dealer can't even replace a set of windshield wipers without messing something up, so I can only imagine the issues an engine replacement would create down the road. And I don't think OP would want to make $1400(+) lease payments each month on his new M5 to drive a car plagued by issues. Doesn't really matter if he wants to keep it after the lease or not. The point is that he will be spending a lot of money for the duration of the lease and thus should expect a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #136
tcw495
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
ya but why would he care for a new car when its just a lease considering he has no intention to keep it..??

if he financed or paid cash then i get it but if not honestly i wouldnt mind to much as long as im compensated and taken care of in a few ways
The point is about life long problems...he doesn't want a car that's going to be in the shop for 10% of the duration of the lease, when he could get one that is issue free and only have it in the shop less than 1% of the lease lifetime.
Appreciate 1
DCG783.00
      10-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #137
btsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

I assume they will resell them as new.

I don't think they are forced to disclose the engine replacement to a potential buyer...the title shows no previous owner and odometer is <50 miles. Why would a buyer ask any questions?

For all I know, I could win the battle to get a new M5 and end up getting one of those.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #138
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

So - I have called BMW Canada and had them do an extensive check - regular recall notices, engine recall specific notices and the CSR even did multiple manual searches on the recall number provided in this thread.

Nothing.

I cannot say this is the same in the US - but for Canada at least - there is nothing on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #139
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Just a FYI to those who worry about a technician working on a M5. . I've been told that basically the N63 family has been a big moneymaker for service departments. The technicians have plenty of experience dropping V8's out the bottom of the vehicle to repair a list of issues.
What a shame but it looks like the N63 in all
It's iterations, is an engine to avoid. If you must, V8 BMWs are pretty much lease only cars.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #140
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Dealerships have been clueless on replacing the diff oils correctly on these cars, and you think they would do a good job of replacing the engine? I would fight tooth and nail to avoid a nightmare like that.
This!!

I think regardless if lease or purchase, I would fight to avoid an engine replacement. My dealer can't even replace a set of windshield wipers without messing something up, so I can only imagine the issues an engine replacement would create down the road. And I don't think OP would want to make $1400(+) lease payments each month on his new M5 to drive a car plagued by issues. Doesn't really matter if he wants to keep it after the lease or not. The point is that he will be spending a lot of money for the duration of the lease and thus should expect a brand new car.
The engine replacement is going to show up in the Carfax. So when you come in to trade in your beloved V8 BMW years down the road, you will be reminded about the added loss of value due to this little ding in the car's history.

Why then owner's should be the ones absorbing the added diminished value of their vehicles as a direct result of poor engineering/manufacturing practices or sheer lack of quality control?

These are expensive luxo barges, not readily accesible to a great percentage of the population.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #141
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMAF View Post
Been reading this thread with interest - If I were in a position to make decisions at BMW and it is really true that is only 12 vehicles, I would buy them all back and give each customer a new vehicle. That financial hit is so miniscule for BMW and the good will generated would be worth every dime. Subaru recently did something like this when they found there were faulty welds on their new Ascent SUV - all cars were recalled and destroyed - customers got new vehicles. Its the right thing to do. Cant see why BMW wouldn't do this for such a small # of cars. Anyway wishing the OP best of luck.
Welds are a little more severe problem as it sounds these could compromise the structural safety and integrity of the vehicles on a crash.

But yes, I do concur. The least BMW could do is to buy back the 12 affected vehicles and write them off as an operating loss.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #142
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Can they do so legally? Is there a threshold in the dollar amount of repairs performed to a vehicle that would force full disclosure?

I mean how much is one of these engines brand new off the crate? $30K a piece?

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #143
Rayers1997
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNGASLOW View Post
What I would like to know is how BMW determines that there are only 12 cars affected by this? How do they know there isn't more out there that were built around the same time?
was likely a malfunction in the assembly line, that was quickly fixed, and then when they checked detailed diagnostics of it later on, they realized it had been doing something fundamentally wrong
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      10-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #144
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
ya but why would he care for a new car when its just a lease considering he has no intention to keep it..??

if he financed or paid cash then i get it but if not honestly i wouldnt mind to much as long as im compensated and taken care of in a few ways
The problem is that either way, having the engine yanked out of your brand new, purchased or lease, luxury car already ruins the joy of the new car experience. Perhaps you can't put a dollar value on that.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #145
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayers1997 View Post
Quote:
What I would like to know is how BMW determines that there are only 12 cars affected by this? How do they know there isn't more out there that were built around the same time?
was likely a malfunction in the assembly line, that was quickly fixed, and then when they checked detailed diagnostics of it later on, they realized it had been doing something fundamentally wrong
You would think their sophisticated manufacturing processes and systems would alert them about an ongoing problem in the assembly line...

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #146
Rayers1997
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayers1997 View Post
Quote:
You would think their sophisticated manufacturing processes and systems would alert them about an ongoing problem in the assembly line...
They likely did. they recieved an error code, and fixed it probably then took some time to delve into what was causing the error. realistically if this is what happened they were likely alerted to it when the same machine had the same error down the line. they then likely did a detailed check of the work it had been doing, and found a fatal flaw. at that point they would have gone back and found out what cars had been made on the dates it had previously malfunctioned on, and recalled them assuming they had the same fatal flaw
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #147
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

At least for now BMW is owning up to whatever issues they found. Thank goodness it's only 12 cars. But if that was me I would expect a brand NEW one. BMW M should keep The problem vehicles and use them to diagnose more problems that may arise Are use them as test vehicles, or add them to the test vehicle fleet. Our use them as stunt cars in the next Mission Impossible movie.

These M5s should NOT go back to the original owner or original leaser. If this happened to me I would be absolutely LIVID!!! I would NOT except it back at all costs! This car can do serious speed and damage on the road, you need to be able to trust that engine 100%, and now that has been compromised. You the driver and your passengers need to be protected 100%, NO American dealership to me is qualified to re-install A whole new hi-tech engine like the factory. Our dealership couldn't even put on new wiper blades without cracking a brand new windshield on a brand new car the windshield had to be to be fully replaced, absolutely pathetic!

If you have the lease I would get OUT of it ASAP. If you have the car leave it and tell them you want brand new one, and that's their problem and they're going to need to eat it and suck it up. Or you will go to the media and spread the word that they're not stand behind their highly expensive product.

Everything is so highly technical today and precise and is full of sensors, you the purchase or just wants the vehicle to be safe and reliable.

As of now just be thankful it's only 12 M5, it could be way worse. But I feel for you very fortunate owners of your new dream car. I personally would be devastated. Good luck and FIGHT the good fight, and stand up for your rights as a loyal customer/consumer! And we as loyal global BMW enthusiasts need to help you do that as well, power in numbers!

BMWs reliability reputation is on the line. Just wait until the Mexican made 3 Series start rolling out in North America.
Appreciate 1
Neptune71432.50
      10-26-2018, 11:56 AM   #148
mpowered5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

I can see the headlines 😂
"data logs show techs performing PDI hit 8000rpm in first before exiting the dealership"
1988 M5
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #149
GUNGASLOW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Ford does this all the time with focus RS and mustangs.. I don’t think they have ever given a customer a new car because the engines are defective! Sometimes they even give them half an engine and don’t completely swap it out for a new block.. that’s even worse
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #150
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ford does this all the time with focus RS and mustangs.. I don’t think they have ever given a customer a new car because the engines are defective! Sometimes they even give them half an engine and don’t completely swap it out for a new block.. that’s even worse
What else can you expect from Ford?

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #151
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
What a shame but it looks like the N63 in all
It's iterations, is an engine to avoid. If you must, V8 BMWs are pretty much lease only cars.
If it affected 12 cars - why would you say that lol? It's not a design or engineering issue. It seems to have been an error on assembly.

Quote:
What else can you expect from Ford?
Easy on the elitist speech. There's always a nicer, quicker, and more expensive car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #152
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsmith View Post
I feel torn on this...
Good - they identified the problem (pretty quickly) and took it off the road and offered a free fix.Better than it blowing up (or otherwise failing) on me while driving.

Bad - I just bought a 6 figure car last month but I'm not allowed to drive it and as of this moment they haven't officially stopped the monthly bills (but I'm sure they will). And they pulled it off the road so quickly no one has been able to tell me how long until it would be fixed/driveable. Also, I feel pretty confident that the guy at the dealership that is going to do the work has NEVER installed an F90 engine. I didn't pay >$100k for it to be in the shop all the time.
You truly have an "automotive" nightmare. I'd not accept the fix and only new. As you are stating above, only an M tech in Germany should do this work at the proper M facility in Germany, if you were even to accept it. I'd lawyer up....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #153
TheRealBob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 Bluestone M5

What a bunch of hysterical drama queens.

BMW needs to be held accountable, but we need to wait and see how things are handled, before making rash generalizations.

Life isn't always fair, so you need to just suck it up and carry on.
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4488.00
VCP1390.00
      10-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #154
tcw495
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBob View Post
What a bunch of hysterical drama queens.

BMW needs to be held accountable, but we need to wait and see how things are handled, before making rash generalizations.

Life isn't always fair, so you need to just suck it up and carry on.
Not when you're paying $100k out of your own pocket for essentially a piece of art since this thing won't be on the road for at least a few more weeks.
Appreciate 0