BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    BMS Stage1 10.62@130mph

02-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #23
apsuard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Looks like JB4 is faster than most flash tunes
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:18 PM   #24
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

Impressive. Nice winter air DA. And look kids! That there is a four door sedan on...can it be?... winter tires? Please say yes
They do look like the factory package 705M BMW 19 inchers.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:56 PM   #25
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f90 white m5

Is anyone using this tune for their f90. Super curious to what they think about it. Honestly, had a lot of problems with JB4 in the past. Not saying that it caused my f10 engine to blow up, but just hesitate to try them again. And wanted feedback
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #26
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsuard View Post
Looks like JB4 is faster than most flash tunes
The JB4 can make as much power for sure, it's run 10.3@136mph on an otherwise stock car! In fact a few F90 flash tuners also use the JB4 for its data logging, fine tuning, and boost by gear to keep it alive during launches.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #27
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucanf90 View Post
Is anyone using this tune for their f90. Super curious to what they think about it. Honestly, had a lot of problems with JB4 in the past. Not saying that it caused my f10 engine to blow up, but just hesitate to try them again. And wanted feedback
Curious what problems did you have? on additive or absolute boost maps?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #28
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
I have the JB4. It's working perfectly. I've enjoyed playing with map 6, boost-per-gear and RPM is great fun. Obviously, if you're tinkering, you want to be logging, too, to catch when you're running into knock, etc... but it does that, too. Maps and logging all done over Bluetooth with a hard-wired OBD II connection. I love this thing.

I've also used them for perhaps 6+ years without issue on 5 F10s, 2 F06s Gran Coupes and an X5M--that was exactly the same box, too.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #29
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsuard View Post
I just saw a slip on DME Facebook of JB4 only F90 running 10.6 at 132
That was pump gas on map 1--technically, that's the JB4 behaving as the stage 1 box. Higher octane fuels and another map (I forget which) yielded a 10.31 at 136.4mph (that was using race gas which the JB4 can readily take advantage of).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #30
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomcgee View Post
Quote:
Curious what problems did you have? on additive or absolute boost maps?
Well honestly had so many, forgot a couple things , engine malfunction which would just make the engine go into limp mode and then at the end of the cars life it caught on fire .... turned it on, walked away for 5 minutes and came back to the car with smoke coming from the engine bay

I had stage 2 with downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #31
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
I have the JB4. It's working perfectly. I've enjoyed playing with map 6, boost-per-gear and RPM is great fun. Obviously, if you're tinkering, you want to be logging, too, to catch when you're running into knock, etc... but it does that, too. Maps and logging all done over Bluetooth with a hard-wired OBD II connection. I love this thing.

I've also used them for perhaps 6+ years without issue on 5 F10s, 2 F06s Gran Coupes and an X5M--that was exactly the same box, too.
Have you timed your performance on dragy? If so what gas?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #32
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I've been running a map 6 23.5psi on pump gas for some testing.

have you played with the duty bias at all or have you been running the out of the box setting?

I really wish we could do duty bias by gear so we can adjust to keep the throttle opened more across pulls instead of using the throttle to control boost
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:19 PM   #33
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well honestly had so many, forgot a couple things , engine malfunction which would just make the engine go into limp mode and then at the end of the cars life it caught on fire .... turned it on, walked away for 5 minutes and came back to the car with smoke coming from the engine bay

Some people have misfires which cause drivetrain errors, but also depends a lot of your fuel and plug gap if running too much boost.

I doubt it caused your car to catch fire, but hey not everything works for everybody.

Not sure what your goals were but the JB4 is not the type of piggyback to get if you just want to set it and forget it, its a waste of money and features for those who want to go that road. BMS stage 1 or racechip is ideal for that.

lucky we have so many choices.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #34
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Some people have misfires which cause drivetrain errors, but also depends a lot of your fuel and plug gap if running too much boost.

I doubt it caused your car to catch fire, but hey not everything works for everybody.

Not sure what your goals were but the JB4 is not the type of piggyback to get if you just want to set it and forget it, its a waste of money and features for those who want to go that road. BMS stage 1 or racechip is ideal for that.

lucky we have so many choices.
Well Racechip doesn't work for me but unfortunately. I guess I just have a hard time with piggybacks lol. Ya for my f90 the Racechip map 7 doesn't want to activate but map 5 and below works, which is stupid. But all I want is something to make it go fast and maybe take off the speed limiter and allow me to use downpipes and intake efficient? What you recommend then? Boost levels I have completely no idea about
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #35
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been running a map 6 23.5psi on pump gas for some testing.

have you played with the duty bias at all or have you been running the out of the box setting?

I really wish we could do duty bias by gear so we can adjust to keep the throttle opened more across pulls instead of using the throttle to control boost
I have not... but only because of the accident. I plan to get back to tinkering once she's back with me (in 2 weeks I hope).

I like your thinking, that would sure make it easier to avoid AWD slippage than trying (failing?) to appropriately modulate the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #36
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not. That's not to say I didn't try but none of the results were worth uploading, it's just way too wet here to get competitive numbers. I got a 2.8s 0-60 but that was with a friend and using his Vbox on the way back from CO; I didn't take the Dragy with me when I picked up the car. Ever since I got back, it's been freezing and traction was problematic. Then I got side-swiped on Xms eve and haven't seen the car since .
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #37
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have not. That's not to say I didn't try but none of the results were worth uploading, it's just way too wet here to get competitive numbers. I got a 2.8s 0-60 but that was with a friend and using his Vbox on the way back from CO; I didn't take the Dragy with me when I picked up the car. Ever since I got back, it's been freezing and traction was problematic. Then I got side-swiped on Xms eve and haven't seen the car since .
Was that with launch control? Or just stop light and floor it
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #38
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With LC.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #39
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Was waiting for you at the shop.
I thought you said that you are going to come by.

Sorry to hear that you can't get RaceChip to work.
2 different units and none of them work on your car, that's very weird.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #40
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, got super sick . Think I ate something bad. Should of called. I apologize
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12960.00
      03-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #41
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, got super sick . Think I ate something bad. Should of called. I apologize
All good.

There always things to do at the shop anyway, like playing around with my cars.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #42
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why doesn't the RaceChip work? By that I mean, does it not work at all... or only certain maps (or its equiv which I've inferred it has).

I ask because coding (we think) stopped my JB4 from working after a few week beyond map 1 (map 1 is effectively the stage 1 device and requires no OBD II data nor EWG I think). My current hypothesis is that the modules we coded 'locked themselves' out--this is apparently a thing now and I wondered if the same was happening here. I don't think the RaceChip uses OBD II, though, but figured it was worth a mention...
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #43
Catchmeifyoucanf90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why doesn't the RaceChip work? By that I mean, does it not work at all... or only certain maps (or its equiv which I've inferred it has).

I ask because coding (we think) stopped my JB4 from working after a few week beyond map 1 (map 1 is effectively the stage 1 device and requires no OBD II data nor EWG I think). My current hypothesis is that the modules we coded 'locked themselves' out--this is apparently a thing now and I wondered if the same was happening here. I don't think the RaceChip uses OBD II, though, but figured it was worth a mention...
Well, only my map 5 works but map 7 doesn't work with my car for Racechip
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #44
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Well, only my map 5 works but map 7 doesn't work with my car for Racechip
Please define “doesn’t work”. Bluetooth or button on the unit ? Hopefully we can get you fixed. SP7 is killer.
Appreciate 0