BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Harbor freight online = same stock in store?

03-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Harbor freight online = same stock in store?

I'm going down to the states and finally be able to stop by harbor freight. Does anything I see on their website can be bought in person? It's mainly screw drivers and specialty pliers I want to buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Yes assuming they have it in stock.

Unfortunately most of Harbor Freight’s tools are very low quality (hence their very low prices) and don’t last much past one or two uses. I’ve bought a fair amount of their tools and have been disappointed with most of them so buyer beware.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post

Unfortunately most of Harbor Freight’s tools are very low quality (hence their very low prices) and don’t last much past one or two uses. I’ve bought a fair amount of their tools and have been disappointed with most of them so buyer beware.
Makes sense to buy HF tools if you only do stuff at home. I've had no issues with the Pittsburgh Jack that I bought, though I do like how they expose that their items are made in the same factory as the bigger brand names
      03-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
Makes sense to buy HF tools if you only do stuff at home. I've had no issues with the Pittsburgh Jack that I bought, though I do like how they expose that their items are made in the same factory as the bigger brand names
Yeah, but don't see how a long reach screwdriver or some pliers can be that cheap to break lol.

Anything hand tools taht isn't to specialied I don't see how can break with one or 2 uses. Electric or air tools okay then I can see the cheapness and beaing breakable easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post

I agree jacks might be sketch but I read a lot of good reviews and fantastic feedback on their jacks. And oh yeah oh yeah
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50
      03-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah, but don't see how a long reach screwdriver or some pliers can be that cheap to break lol.

Anything hand tools taht isn't to specialied I don't see how can break with one or 2 uses. Electric or air tools okay then I can see the cheapness and beaing breakable easy.

I agree jacks might be sketch but I read a lot of good reviews and fantastic feedback on their jacks. And oh yeah oh yeah
      03-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:

Their pliers and screwdrivers don’t necessarily break but the metal they use is fairly soft which causes them to bend easily and the screwdriver tips become very ductile which increases the chance of stripping a screw. Their tools are ok for light duty use or non-precision use but there’s a reason they’re so cheap. I’ve wasted enough money on their tools thinking I’m getting a deal but I’ve found that they’re so poor that I’d rather spend more to get a tool I can use for years.

2021 MBB M5C (retired) 2018 Daytona Violet M3 ZCP (retired), 2016 AW 550i (retired)
2013 EBII 335i (retired), 2008 Platinum Bronze 535xi (retired), 2007 Monaco Blue 335i (retired)
1999 Hellrot M3 coupe (retired)
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Harbor Freight online can be different. You can order items to be mailed to your house but you may have to pay for shipping. The online inventory can contain items that are not available in store.

I have had a few Harbor Freight aluminum racing jacks. They work great and are 1/2 the price as some other ones. One lasted 15 years of constant usage. I replaced it with a new one only because the pumping was getting slow on the old one.

Harbor Freight quality is a hit and miss depending on what it is. They source their products from all over the place. You may find a good set of sockets only to have a crappy ratchet in the same kit. Definitely helps to check reviews online before purchasing. They are branching out into higher end tools with their ICON line up so things may be improving but with higher pricing to match.

Last edited by Z K; 03-13-2019 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Never go to a Harbor Freight store without loading up on coupons! https://www.hfqpdb.com/

Take advantage of their 20% off single item coupon and free with purchase coupon by splitting up your transactions.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
I had a Pittsburgh jack fully explode on me while lifting my car. Was not pretty...

Odd tool that you need cheap for a one time use...and make sure that one time isn't something that could kill you. That's what they're good for,

The $18 heat gun for vinyl wraps...perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
I had a Pittsburgh jack fully explode on me while lifting my car. Was not pretty...

Odd tool that you need cheap for a one time use...and make sure that one time isn't something that could kill you. That's what they're good for,

The $18 heat gun for vinyl wraps...perfect.
I'm more looking at like angled needle nose pliers or hose pliers. A set here locally is 40$ over there they're 15$ USD, so like 20$ here.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #11
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
For some stuff harbor freight is pretty good for. Jacks, electric impacts, heat guns, gloves, etc. Screw drivers and hand tools seem like lower quality and you are better off buying used quality stuff for the price.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #12
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I have some personal rules for Harbor Freight:

1) Nothing my life depends on (jacks, jack stands, etc.)
2) Nothing I need to rely on to work day in and day out
3) No consumables (I once bought sandpaper and the wood I was "sanding" took the abrasive off the paper!)

Times I always buy at Harbor Freight

1) Need an odd tool that I'll use once like a 6" diameter hole saw.
2) A specialty tool that will be very expensive elsewhere such as battery terminal cable crimpers or a porta-power.
3) When I need to modify a tool. Like, buy a 1" combo wrench, cut it in half, weld it to a 3 foot bar.
4) Tool sets that are awesome to have on hand but rarely get used like a metric crow's foot set.
5) When I simply cant justify spending 3x to 5x to by the good stuff, like my 56" rolling Harbor Freight tool chest.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
I'm more looking at like angled needle nose pliers or hose pliers. A set here locally is 40$ over there they're 15$ USD, so like 20$ here.
You won't be able to hold onto anything more than 2 oz with the needles, before they start to flex. And if the hose is more than 1" and thicker than a balloon, you may experience the same. At least in my personal experience.

The boat trailer jack I put on a few years ago, for <1/2 what West Marine wanted for the same stats, is still going strong. The ratchet ties-done straps are holding too.

What is very nice about brick/mortar is that you can put hands on and decide!
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #14
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

sucks that you can't check inventory online, if it's a big ticket item, i suggest you call ahead, if they dont have it they can check nearby stores.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
sucks that you can't check inventory online, if it's a big ticket item, i suggest you call ahead, if they dont have it they can check nearby stores.
I just realized the city I'm going to (Syracuse) has three harbor freights so I think I'll be ok in the end haha..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

No, the store inventory does not always mirror online. I sell or have sold to a lot of these companies and they usually have a separate account for online and in store stuff. Home Depot, Sam's, Walmart etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #17
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

A couple years ago after hearing people talking about the place I had to see for myself and went to one. Took about a half hour checking stuff out and that was all I needed to form my opinion, out I walked never to return.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #18
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
I have some personal rules for Harbor Freight:

1) Nothing my life depends on (jacks, jack stands, etc.)
2) Nothing I need to rely on to work day in and day out
3) No consumables (I once bought sandpaper and the wood I was "sanding" took the abrasive off the paper!)

Times I always buy at Harbor Freight

1) Need an odd tool that I'll use once like a 6" diameter hole saw.
2) A specialty tool that will be very expensive elsewhere such as battery terminal cable crimpers or a porta-power.
3) When I need to modify a tool. Like, buy a 1" combo wrench, cut it in half, weld it to a 3 foot bar.
4) Tool sets that are awesome to have on hand but rarely get used like a metric crow's foot set.
5) When I simply cant justify spending 3x to 5x to by the good stuff, like my 56" rolling Harbor Freight tool chest.
The problem with jacks is they are made in many of the same places, just painted and branded differently. Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, all that stuff seems to be the same thing just painted differently (talking about new stuff). I've used harbor freight jacks for a while and have had no issues. In fact the only jack I've ever had slowly release and come down by itself was a heavy duty Craftsman. For jack stands I buy those elsewhere but also get stands that are rated much higher than anything I would ever need.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1456.50
      03-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

was interested in getting their new Garage Cabinets they had in an ad a few months back but I guess the product never took off as they don't even show a stock # or anything. kinda sucks cause the price wasn't too bad
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 03-26-2019 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0